IGNORED

cp/m for Atari800 xl ?

funkheld

• 4 weeks later...

Hi drac030,

I have a C128 and have played a little bit wih CP/M on it. But CP/M on the ATARI would be much smarter! ;-)

My 130XE is equiped with the Rapidus, VBXE and U1MB, that means, ready to go.

But I need more detailed instructions to run CP/M on the ATARI and/or Altirra.

I really would appreciate if you could publish a kind of "Step by step instruction".

I downloaded the tools and programms on your website, but with no success to run CP/M on Altirra

Many thanks

Tigerduck

Edited by Tigerduck

56 minutes ago, Tigerduck said:

I really would appreciate if you could publish a kind of "Step by step instruction".

Ok, here you are:

a) on real machine: press Invers/Reset, select Preference->Rapidus, Esc, Save & Exit

b) on Altirra: select CPU 65C816, clock speed whatever you like, but I recommend maximum :D

c) on Altirra: select High memory 4 MB (or 16, whatever)

d) on Altirra: setup Rapidus OS as ROM OS: http://drac030.krap.pl/pl-acc-pliki.php

e) on Altirra: enable VBXE (optional, but recommended)

f) boot SpartaDOS X

g) unpack cpemu06.tar.gz to a convenient place on your HDD. If no HDD, setup some ramdisk and unpack there. IIRC, the files inside occupy 880k unpacked, so it has to be a 1 MB ramdisk. On real Rapidus you may setup a ramdisk in banked 16 MB SD-RAM using RAPIDRD.SYS driver (to be found on Tookit disk -> spartados.com -> Download). TAR.GZ files can be unpacked in one of two ways: using XUNZIP.COM (by Fox&Epi) directly on Atari, or ungzip on PC and untar on Atari using TAR.EXE (-> Toolkit disk).

h) CD CPEMU>SYS[Return]

i) run S_VBXE.SYS (if you have VBXE) or RC_GR8.SYS (if not). Later you may want to get more recent versions of these drivers from the Toolkit disk.

j) CD ..[Return]

k) X CPEMU.EXE CPMSYS.XDI

l) should now load for a while spitting some messages on the screen

m) next the screen shold turn black with green (VBXE) or white (no VBXE) characters, and the following on the top: DLT CP/M 2.2 BIOS REV4 / Hit Return to continue

n) hit Return. This should follow: COPYRIGHT (C) 1979, DIGITAL RESEARCH, and the A> prompt.

o) success.

obraz.thumb.png.0dfcfdb41f2f653cf9b023d31eafff11.png

obraz.thumb.png.fca107b255d6cf6fb68ad10f1300ae7c.png

obraz.thumb.png.63f6262582f5c087c94d2a86866bb7dc.png

Edited by drac030
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is so damn cool!  Question (just for general knowledge).  I have used your excellent Trub Terminal with VBXE to run CP/M on my Indus drive.  This is obviously just a 64kB Z80 implementation.  Does there exist a CP/M which can use > 64kB?

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I have used your excellent Trub Terminal with VBXE to run CP/M on my Indus drive.

Trub Terminal, as the name says, was written by @trub :) In CP/Emu implementation I only followed its look and feel, so these two are very similar.

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Does there exist a CP/M which can use > 64kB?

For Atari - none I know of. I know that trub had plans to make a bigger RAM-Charger for Indus/LDW/CA to run CP/M 3 on that, but so far, it seems, nothing has been completed in this respect. Also, making a CP/M port is just the question of perparing proprietary CP/M BIOS for the machine. Now, CP/M 2 BIOS is very simple and there is also a good DRI documentation on how to prepare own version, what functions do, which of them are optional, which are mandatory etc. From what I have seen, CP/M 3 BIOS is much more complicated, it probably requires a banked ROM, and the documentation I have seen was also quite insufficient especially for someone (like me) who has never seen CP/M 3 in action.

Edited by drac030
  • Thanks 1

Oops - sorry.  I see all of you guys as the genius "polish wonders" providing us with all these goodies.  Please - I do not mean this in any way negative.  I mean it like the "fantastic four" of the Atari folk who formed Activision.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

I do not mean this in any way negative.

No problem, it is the ambiguity of English "your" which is to blame ("thy" would sometimes be useful). I just wanted to clarify, then, that I am not claiming the authorship of that excellent program (which I also was using while my CA-2001 was in working condition and was able to run Indus CP/M).

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1