IGNORED

Favorite Parker Brothers game

jeremiahjt

Favorite Parker Brothers game  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which Parker Brothers game is your favorite on the VCS?

• Amidar
    • Frogger
    • Frogger II: Threeedeep!
    • G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike (Action Force)
    • Gyruss
    • James Bond 007
    • Montezuma's Revenge
    • Mr. Do!'s Castle
    • Popeye
    • Q*bert
    • Q*bert's Qubes
    • Reactor
    • Sky Skipper
    • Spider-Man
    • Star Wars: Jedi Arena
    • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle
    • Star Wars: The Arcade Game
    • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    • Strawberry Shortcake Musical Match-Ups
    • Super Cobra
    • Tutankham

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I finished off my Parker Bros. collection a couple of years ago and was thinking about doing this.  Then I realized I probably need to spend some more time with all the games before I tried to pick my best or rank them.  After spending plenty of time with all the games I think I could probably rank them from one to twenty-one now.  As a kid the only games I had were Q*bert, Frogger, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Spider-Man, and Amidar, so there might be some nostalgia with those.

As a kid my favorites were Q*bert and Amidar.  I liked the other three games I had, but those two were my most played.  My favorite of the games I did not have as a kid is definitely Montezuma's Revenge.  The 2600 version is the only version I have spent any time with and I love it.  So for me it comes down to Q*bert versus Montezuma's Revenge.  I think I have to go with my childhood favorite Q*bert as I still do love to play the game.

Here are a couple of old threads that are about Parker Brothers' games:

Edited by jeremiahjt
Grammar
  • Like 1

Montezuma's Revenge by a country mile for me.  Frogger is great but I have the Colecovision version and even if I had it for my 2600, MR would still win.  Same goes for Q*bert.  I have the CV version.  Actually I like Q*bert way more than Frogger.  Still not as much as MR though.  Changing the subject slightly, how can you start a poll?  Can anyone do it?  I started a thread that would've worked much better as one.

edit:  I just figured out the poll thing by myself.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

I only played 2 Parker games - ESB and Super Cobra and I really enjoyed them both. Super Cobra edges it for me as it feels a bit more varied than ESB even though the scrolling is very jerky....

I really like the idea of navigating through caverns. Was a big fan of Scramble in the arcade too.

Edited by davyK

Wow, so many good games from PB...

It is easier to list the 'bad games': Mr Do!'s Castle, GI Joe Cobra Strike/Action Force, Star Wars:Jedi Arena, Reactor.

Kid game: Strawberry Shortcake Musical Match-ups

The rest I really like, I actually love Amidar, played it for hours. I also like Sky Skipper, a nice Nintendo arcade game. No love for Star Wars Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle? It's a great game.

Edited by high voltage

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back was one of the first ever games that I played on a 2600 -- at a friend's place, before I received my own 2600 -- so it holds a very special place for me. The gameplay may be lacking, but I was impressed with the theme music.  

Amidar never made any sense to me (and the bizarre TV commercial did not help). 

I just do not much care for Frogger (on any system).

Popeye was interesting, but the graphics are so limited.

I have not played anything else in the library enough to have an opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my list from 1 to 21 that I know all of you have been anxiously awaiting.

1. Q*bert

2. Montezuma's Revenge

3. Amidar

4. Frogger

5. Star Wars: The Arcade Game

6. Popeye

7. Gyruss

8. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

9. Sky Skipper

10. Spider-Man

11. G.I. Joe-Cobra Strike

12. Star Wars: Jedi Arena

13. Frogger II: Threeedeep!

14. Tutankham

15. Reactor

16. Strawberry Shortcake Musical Match-Ups

17. James Bond 007

18. Q*bert's Qubes

19. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle

20. Super Cobra

21. Mr. Do!'s Castle

The biggest gaps are from 3 to 4 and 15 to 16.  Hopefully this bump will also catch the eye of an Amidar fan so they can vote.  There has to be one, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Thag said:

Montezuma for sure, though that's closely followed by Gyruss, Jedi and Reactor.

Never understood the love for Empire though. Sure, everyone had it but even back in the day, I found it very repetitive.

For me it was just the novelty of having a Star Wars game, especially one based on my favorite SW movie (of the two movies that had been released by 82 ? ).   But you are right, it wasn't much fun, it was repetitive.   Not one of my favorites in retrospect

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zzip said:

For me it was just the novelty of having a Star Wars game, especially one based on my favorite SW movie (of the two movies that had been released by 82 ? ).   But you are right, it wasn't much fun, it was repetitive.   Not one of my favorites in retrospect

I somehow ended up owning Jedi first back in the day, which nowadays is quite a bit less common. I always found it the better game. It was tougher, had multiple stages and was more fun

I ended up with Empire a couple of years later, which I traded from a friend. I liked it ok then, but increasingly less so over the years. While I wouldn't put any of the PB Star Wars games on my A list (though the unreleased Ewok Adventure is probably closest), I definitely liked Jedi better than the others at the time. Empire was too repetitive, The lightsaber game was just odd (though decent with two), and the Arcade Game was a valiant attempt to port something that should never have been ported. Star Strike was a better Star Wars game, just minus the license.