IGNORED

XF551 not getting power

austodd

I recently purchased an SDrive-Max with the hopes of archiving some of the data on my nearly forty year old floppy disks.  Sadly, when I pulled out my XF551 and hooked it up to my 130XE, the drive didn't respond when turning on the power nor when inserting a disk and booting the 130XE.  I know the power supply is fine because it powers my 1050 without any trouble.  And, as far as I can remember, this drive worked perfectly fine when I put it into storage all those years ago.  

So I took the drive apart and measured the voltage at the molex connector, and, nothing.  No 5V, no 12V.  Now I'm not sure what to do.  What can/should I check next?  Is there something I can replace to give this awesome drive life again?  

And I don't know if it matters, but this drive has the "XF551 Enhancer" mod by CSS installed on it.  My friend and I installed it back in the eighties.  As far as I can tell, all of those solder connections look fine after all these years.

Any help would be appreciated!

Do both SIO ports on the XF551 behave the same? What if you daisy chain the 1050 after the XF551 - leave the XF551 off, does the 1050 still respond/boot? Is the XF551 set for drive 1?

Edit: erm, most of the above was targeting common sio port issues - but you mentioned no power at the molex connector... can you do a continuity test on the power switch to see if it is working on/off, and if so further down the line - bridge rectifier diodes, capacitors, 5V and 12 voltage regulators etc. I'm assuming an XF551 has those - I'm more familiar with the 810 and 1050...

Run wires from the power connector into the XF551 at the appropriate points. I have seen the power plug pads lift off the PCB a couple of times. (put pressure on the connector while it is plugged in and the pad lifts right off)

You usually can't just re-flow the connection - you have use jumper wires)

Bob

• Like 1

IT LIVES!

Even though the solder joints looked OK to my novice eye, I decided to reflow the ones near the power connector anyway.  And, voila! A working XF551.  

Except the U-shaped metal shield that sits above the drive head has come off.  My understanding is that it's an important piece and must be re-connected.  I've heard that using hot glue to reattach it is an option.  I don't have a hot glue gun.  Any other recommendations for re-attaching this thing?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my plea for help.  

• Like 2

Haven't done it on an XF551, but I've cut strips of double sided sticky foam tape.  its a harder foam than the original stuff, but I've had good luck with it.

I also don't think that that shield is important to operation.  It protects the head (delicate connection wires are often exposed with that missing), and blocks stray signals.  But I have a PC drive or two where the shield is missing, and no issues in them operating properly.

Maybe someone can comment on XF551s in particular in regards to this piece.

• Like 1