IGNORED

800XL keyboard matrix

djglish

I'm working on getting an 800XL keyboard to work as a USB keyboard.  I have the Arduino adapter working with one keyboard (from my good XL).

The keyboard that I want to use is not working with some keys.  I found a keyboard matrix map and it appears that the traces from 13 and 14 are the problem.  Once again they work on the other keyboard.  

I'm wondering if the two are somehow shorted?  I haven't taken the keyboard apart yet (all of those tiny screws).  

Anyone have any thoughts on a fix?

atari800xl_kbd_matrix.png

17 hours ago, djglish said:

I'm working on getting an 800XL keyboard to work as a USB keyboard.  I have the Arduino adapter working with one keyboard (from my good XL).

The keyboard that I want to use is not working with some keys.  I found a keyboard matrix map and it appears that the traces from 13 and 14 are the problem.  Once again they work on the other keyboard.  

I'm wondering if the two are somehow shorted?  I haven't taken the keyboard apart yet (all of those tiny screws).  

Anyone have any thoughts on a fix?

atari800xl_kbd_matrix.png

So let me understand..you have removed just the physical keyboard to use as a USB PC keyboard or you are using the whole 800XL casing as the keyboard?

I'm putting a Bmax mini PC into the 800XL case.  I'm using an Arduino Micro adapter to convert the keyboard to USB.  The adapter works with my other Atari keyboard.  All of the keys work on this other keyboard so it can't be the adapter.

I did take the one I want to use apart and get trace 13 working after cleaning the mylar.  The keys on trace 14 still don't work.  Now instead of returning a continuous line of "." they return a continuous line of "d".  Key D doesn't work at all.  I'm guessing that the mylar has a break where it folds over.  I visually followed the trace and don't see an obvious break.  I did see a seller online that sells replacement mylar for about $31 with shipping.  I might have to go this route if I can't get this one working.  I also saw an entire keyboard assembly for about $50.  Has anyone done a mylar replacement?

After getting the keyboard working I'm going to try and build a wireless mouse into an old game cartridge.  I saw someone that did this with a corded mouse.  I want it cordless to keep the illusion that it is an original 800XL.