IGNORED

Classic99 Documentation bug?

Kchula-Rrit

Thierry Nouspikel's Bug99 and VDM99 will supposedly work with Classic99, so I thought I would try it out.

When I downloaded Classic99, the Web-site said it would run on Windows 2000 and up.  I tried loading it into my Win2000 system and got "not a valid application" error.  I assume the note on the Web-site has not been updated yet.

Haven't tried it in my WinXP machine yet.  Hopefully, it will work there.

K-R.

I haven't tested on older than XP for a long time. In fact XP support is going to be dropped soon according to Visual Studio, so I can't promise how long that will last.

Little of the webpage has been updated for quite a while. There's a note on the root page that I'm (not really) working on it. ;)

Where does it say that it will run on 2000? http://harmlesslion.com/cgi-bin/selectsoft.cgi says XP through 10, and the Classic99 page itself, I don't see any version mentioned.

I should further note that nobody actually used VDM99, and I haven't touched it again since first implementing it, so no promises at all. ;)

• Like 3

Oooh.. runs great on windows 7 though.

I won't run it on anything else, myself.

But now I need another motherboard and power supply. Mine died after 3 years. Shoot. AND to top it off, my TI Peb power supply is having issues with a replacement coming in this week, yay yay yaaaay.

Edited by GDMike
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

Oooh.. runs great on windows 7 though.

I won't run it on anything else, myself.

But now I need another motherboard and power supply. Mine died after 3 years. Shoot. AND to top it off, my TI Peb power supply is having issues with a replacement coming in this week, yay yay yaaaay.

You can run Classic99 on Windows 98SE but I may be using a 2 year old version of Classic99

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tursi said:

I haven't tested on older than XP for a long time. In fact XP support is going to be dropped soon according to Visual Studio, so I can't promise how long that will last.

Little of the webpage has been updated for quite a while. There's a note on the root page that I'm (not really) working on it. ;)

Where does it say that it will run on 2000? http://harmlesslion.com/cgi-bin/selectsoft.cgi says XP through 10, and the Classic99 page itself, I don't see any version mentioned.

I should further note that nobody actually used VDM99, and I haven't touched it again since first implementing it, so no promises at all. ;)

Oops.  Just looked at the Web-site.  It's been a while since I downloaded Classic99, and I could have sworn that the Web-site said Win2000.  Apologies for the mix-up.  I can try it in my XP machine and see how it goes.

Also, I said VDM99, but I think I meant Thierry Nouspikel's Bug99.  The description looked intriguing, but it communicates with the TI through a parallel port.  That rules out my NanoPEB, so I would have to unlimber my "real" TI PE-Box.  My desk does not have the room to set it up at the moment, and the Bug99 Web-site said that Classic99 has the 'hooks' necessary to communicate with Bug99.

On VDM99...

Someone gave me a Win7 system a few years ago, that has a real serial port(!).  I got VDM99 to run in this system, and to communicate with my TI with a NanoPeB.  The whole thing proved unstable and I quit trying once I found TI99Dir to copy files into the NanoPEB's Compact Flash with a USB-to-CF converter.  I wonder if it has to do with the NanoPEB DSR turning off the serial port while the port is not actually in use.

Anyway, I ramble...  Right now I'm using Fred Kaal's TI99w while my TI console is in pieces.  It works well, but I thought I would try the Classic99/Bug99 combination for debugging.

Apologies for the mix-up.

K-R.

1 hour ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

Oops.  Just looked at the Web-site.  It's been a while since I downloaded Classic99, and I could have sworn that the Web-site said Win2000.  Apologies for the mix-up.  I can try it in my XP machine and see how it goes.

Also, I said VDM99, but I think I meant Thierry Nouspikel's Bug99.  The description looked intriguing, but it communicates with the TI through a parallel port.  That rules out my NanoPEB, so I would have to unlimber my "real" TI PE-Box.  My desk does not have the room to set it up at the moment, and the Bug99 Web-site said that Classic99 has the 'hooks' necessary to communicate with Bug99.

On VDM99...

Someone gave me a Win7 system a few years ago, that has a real serial port(!).  I got VDM99 to run in this system, and to communicate with my TI with a NanoPeB.  The whole thing proved unstable and I quit trying once I found TI99Dir to copy files into the NanoPEB's Compact Flash with a USB-to-CF converter.  I wonder if it has to do with the NanoPEB DSR turning off the serial port while the port is not actually in use.

Anyway, I ramble...  Right now I'm using Fred Kaal's TI99w while my TI console is in pieces.  It works well, but I thought I would try the Classic99/Bug99 combination for debugging.

Apologies for the mix-up.

K-R.

There was no mix up, I understood both "Bug99" and "VDM99" as "Theirry Nouspikel's debugger tools". ;) Yes, the hooks are implemented in Classic99, but they have not been activated by me in probably 10 years, and I don't believe they were ever activated by anyone else. ISTR that there were some limitations in it, cause I started writing my own external debug layer as well. Anyway, that's all I had in mind with my warning. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure I will care very much. ;)

Classic99 has its own integrated debugger which is adequate for my own work.

• Like 1