IGNORED

MAME HSC - ROUND 6/10 - Colony 7 / DoDonPachi

Cynicaster

This round's game 1 of 2:

Colony 7

ROM Name: Colony 7 (set 1)

ROM File: colony7

Picked by: Atariwarlord

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED?

Lives: 3

Bonus: 30k/50k

This round's game 2 of 2:

DoDonPachi

ROM Name: DoDonPachi (International Master Ver 97/02/05)

ROM File: ddonpach

Picked by: MAME Offender

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED?

Defaults.

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday October 11 , 11:59pm PST

Standings to Date (includes results from redemption round #1 of 2):

Razzie.P

75.92%

MAME Offender

56.11%

Cynicaster

44.76%

youxia

30.86%

AtariWarlord

27.77%

Floyd Turbo

27.28%

hero2millions

21.23%

roadrunner

15.98%

jblenkle

12.79%

bigbee99

9.91%

S.BAZ

8.49%

colony7.zip ddonpach.zip

Edited by Cynicaster

Welcome to the second half of the season.  

A note regarding Colony 7: when you're crediting up to play, it will ask you if you'd like to "add additional credit for more firepower" or something to that effect.  Let's go ahead and allow the "more firepower" setting to make sure nobody uses it accidentally.  

Game on

CYN

2 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Welcome to the second half of the season.  

A note regarding Colony 7: when you're crediting up to play, it will ask you if you'd like to "add additional credit for more firepower" or something to that effect.  Let's go ahead and allow the "more firepower" setting to make sure nobody uses it accidentally.  

Game on

CYN

Not sure I understand. Does this mean we add the additional credit for more firepower or do we not?

39 minutes ago, Floyd Turbo said:

What is everyone’s starting ship in DDP?

I love that’s there’s options and I tend to lean towards the Red guy and shot type. 

I was going to say blue which I used on my previous score, then I tried red and beat the blue score.  I like both so far, but green is whack. 

DDP - 9,739,190

image.jpg

I'll start off with this as there should be lots of room for improvements. 

Keep in mind guys that you get mega points when you have a full set of bombs and you collect yet another bomb.  The score goes crazy, and it gives you 10000 points a second!!  The points per second goes up 10k every subsequent bomb.  

16017675728277278188884429515290.jpg

16017676188228978352980048994281.jpg

.....there are many other ways to score big on DDP.

A big on is the Hit Count.  There is a small power bar in the upper left corner.  When you blow up an enemy, it will spike a little or a lot depending on the size of the enemy.  The idea is to keep that power bar from bottoming out and restarting.  High Hit Counts can give you massive points.

Another interesting way to score big comes on the 3rd board.  There are waves of Green beasts that shoot slow, pink, long and narrow projectiles in bullet hell fashion.  In the mix of those beasts, there are humungous starships that are also bombarding you with shots.  The idea is to have as many of those previously mentioned bullets on the screen as possible.  When you destroy the Humungous ships, their powerful explosion evaporates the bullets with the shock wave.  I'm not exactly sure of the scoring matrix, but it is substantial. 

Another nifty way to get some score on is by locating and collecting the hidden "bees" amongst the level.  There are 13 scattered on each and every Board, from 1 to 6.  When your ship is in Vertical alignment with the bee, they will flicker and reveal themselves.  Simply activate your laser to unearth them, then fly over and collect.

Another way is to use your laser bomb on Bosses when they are at their most feeble, which is in the Red Zone of the Bosses Vitality bar.  For some reason the Hit Count goes wild.  But it comes with a tradeoff of not having a fully equipped bomb stock with extra bombs when you begin the next board which ends up costing you.

There are a couple other ways to get good scoring on Ddp.  

There are so many things to enjoy.  This could make for one of the best shmups in late 90s bullet hell phase.  

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 1:34 AM, Cynicaster said:

Haven’t played DoDonPachi in forever; I forgot how gorgeous a game it is. 

It is, but the gameplay is so impossibly frantic that there is no time to look at all the eye candy. At least my brain has only enough oomph to try and process the bullet patterns (and is not too good at it either :))

To some extent it was always my problem with shoot'em ups, but the bullet hell ones really take it to the next level.

First post in the thread updated with standings, to include results from redemption round.  

Razzie had a commanding lead going into the redemption round, and even more so coming out!  

I lost almost 10% in my average from not submitting any redemption scores.  I had actually done some, but fell asleep on the couch on the final day and missed the posting deadline.  Rules are rules.