IGNORED

Sega CD memory:. Empty cartridge

tripletopper

Are you talking about the Ram Cartridge?

You do need to change the battery once in awhile, if doing that or formatting it doesn't fix the problem than the battery is likely finished. You could get a new battery but you'll run into the same problem long-term or short if used.

If you want a flash based solution you can try out the Everdrive for Sega CD, highly recommended:

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/genesis/

Edited by Leeroy ST

Not sure if you have an original or one of the newer ones, but yeah. 

There is a battery to replace.

Just googled it and found this:

https://retrostuff.org/2016/05/11/new-battery-sega-cd-backup-ram-cart/

(Note: Personally, I would never replace the battery (desolder / resolder) while the system is running!!!!  But that is me..)

I don't think you can easily (or even moderately) change it to some type of solid state.  

Leeroy is right, I think an EverDrive that supports SegaCD would be better for that.

(I'm not sure if that would be a regular EverDrive, or if you would need the Mega EverDrive for CD save support????)

1 minute ago, desiv said:

(Note: Personally, I would never replace the battery (desolder / resolder) while the system is running!!!!  But that is me..)

I don't think you can easily (or even moderately) change it to some type of solid state.  

Leeroy is right, I think an EverDrive that supports SegaCD would be better for that.

(I'm not sure if that would be a regular EverDrive, or if you would need the Mega EverDrive for CD save support????)

Sega CD for Mega CD costs more than just regular Genesis but is the best solution long-term.

16 hours ago, tripletopper said:

I just popped in my Sega CD cartridge memory cartridge and found that it was completely empty 

Does the Sega CD cartridge require a battery change?  And if so is there a way to add flash memory so it never gets destroyed?

16 hours ago, desiv said:

Btw, may not be what you are looking for but if you do want to just avoid CD hardware and dump your CD's Iso's there's a cartridge based solution alternative to what I said before, and maybe Desiv would like it to.

https://stoneagegamer.com/megasd.html

Mega SD removes the middle man, but you want get the nostalgia disc spinning and sounds.

Edited by Leeroy ST

44 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

Btw, may not be what you are looking for but if you do want to just avoid CD hardware and dump your CD's Iso's there's a cartridge based solution alternative to what I said before, and maybe Desiv would like it to.

Thanx,

Tho, I like CDs and floppies.. ;-)

I was talking about the original game save file cartridge that inserts in Genesis cartridge port.

I don't think it's ram because it does not enhance the capabilities of the Sega CD other than giving it more room to store files.  It's not like the Saturn that lets you play X-Men vs. Street Fighter with tag teams.

By the way I have the official Sega version of the game save card.

I looked at the options and unfortunately when your home base internet is at 1.5 megabits and 400 kilobits out you have to sit for like 30 minutes to download a 1 cd game.

also I need the game save data because I got all the characters for Eternal Champions CD,  and I don't want to lose it.

I'm just looking for a Genesis cartridge based flash memory for storing Sega CD save files.