IGNORED

Announcing - Gravitic Mines

CyranoJ

3 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Oh yeah, baby!

image.png.12d6ba132dd9ecbee8d6b37f0e7b2e9a.png

I'm working at home during period between offices. Currently picturing my wife returning from work:

"Editorb make accomplishment today!"

"Great! What did you accomplish?"

"I fired 500 shots! YEEHAW!"

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Gravitic Mines is basically... done! :)

;; Started 25/02/2019

It's been quite a ride!

So what now? We're currently building a demo ROM with three training missions and the first two missions of the Pilot campaign. Once complete, this will be available to download freely and play on Skunkboards and Gamedrives.

This may take a while, so please have a bit of patience - we want to make sure everything is OK before releasing the demo, and sometimes removing stuff is more difficult than adding it!

What you will get in the demo:

• Training 101 - Welcome to Pilot Training
  • Training 102 - Orbital Shields
  • Training 103 - Know Thy Enemy!
  • Pilot 1.1 - Information Gathering
  • Pilot 1.2 - On a Mission of Mercy
  • Jagpad / Pro / Rotary control options

The demo will run on Skunkboards and Jaguar GD drives. We have yet to make a decision regarding VirtualJaguar/Phoenix. This is partly out of prevention of 'bootlegger carts on ebay' and partly because current emulation does not reflect the final quality of the game.

Things removed from the demo:

• The remaining missions (5 training, 14 "Pilot" campaign and 16 "Ace" campaign missions - 35 additional missions in the full game)
  • The boss encounters (8 Boss Encounters in the full game)
  • QR Codes (The full game includes online scoreboards and achievement unlocks!)
  • Pilot profiles (Full game will allow three pilot profiles to be created on cart)
  • Jukebox (A tad under 40 minutes of music included in the full game)
  • Scoreboards and anything EEPROM related
  • BJL Loader
  • Jagtopia CD Bypass

We look forward to sharing this with you and hope you will enjoy it enough to order the full game when it becomes available via the AtariAge store.

Both Ander and myself would like to thank you all for your ongoing interest and supportive comments during the development of this title.

PUSH THE BUTTON!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

On 9/29/2020 at 12:48 AM, skip said:

Cheers. Definitely looking forward to giving Gravitic Mines a real good play as soon as possible, love the art style and the old-school challenging gameplay, which I'll no doubt be terrible at initially :) 

I rather like making videos for the Reboot games, lots of creativity being shown in the various titles. Video stuff is slightly more chillaxing and arguably more creative than me programming games lol. But I should get back to doing that and catching up with 'real work'* while I'm at it hahaha.

I'm putting a compilation of the various videos I've made for Reboot/AA together, I'll pop up a link once I've made the post live. 

(*to clarify, I'm on a two week break from work but I have a lot of 'paperwork' to do, plus a web based game to show my students 'how it's done'...hopefully I'll have it semi-playable soon, as soon as it feels like work I switch off, but when things start to gel I get lost in the tiniest of visual or gameplay details)

I like how the ship is in perfect spots during transitions (or edits) of backgrounds showing one level to next in trailer ;)

Great trailer and cool music, this is 44.1hz 16 bit audio for game or reduced 22 khz so it fits?

Also game looks cool. Im shocked fight for life textured 3d fighting game is 4mb (if true) but this one is bigger at 6mb, this must be a huge shooter !

Downloaded, but my SD card is at home damm! Nice to see rotary control as I have one of them, looking forward to trying it :)

PS, this text at bottom doesn't actually have a link "Please feel free to discuss this game with us in the Gravitic Mines thread on AtariAge here."  :)

Edited by str0m
update
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, str0m said:

Downloaded, but my SD card is at home damm! Nice to see rotary control as I have one of them, looking forward to trying it :)

PS, this text at bottom doesn't actually have a link "Please feel free to discuss this game with us in the Gravitic Mines thread on AtariAge here."  :)

Thanks, will fix that up!

[EDIT] Fixed!

• Like 1

Absolutely love the demo! I’ve downloaded and played through it. I’m now even more hyped than ever for the full release of this game my money is ready to go lol. What a game it is visually stunning for a Jag game and the controls are spot on, that was me playing using the Dpad on the pro controller. I’ll be adding rotary support to one of my spare controllers in the coming days just for this game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Absolutely love the demo! I’ve downloaded and played through it. I’m now even more hyped than ever for the full release of this game my money is ready to go lol. What a game it is visually stunning for a Jag game and the controls are spot on, that was me playing using the Dpad on the pro controller. I’ll be adding rotary support to one of my spare controllers in the coming days just for this game. 

Thank you! Really nice to hear that kind of feedback after all these months from actual gameplay (Rather than watching videos!)

Note: The game (in our opinion) plays better on the Pro Controllers - it was designed specifically around their layout.

• Like 2

I just tried it for 1 hour. 30 mn with rotary controller and 30 mn with Pro controller. Indeed, the second is the best. However, I find the same difficulties as with Last Strike. I die every 2/3 minutes or almost. It's frustrating and finally, even if the game is beautiful, and grandiose on the sound side, I quickly move on, because I don't take pleasure. It's a shame for me. I don't know who the testers of the games are, probably beasts of this type of game, or maybe I'm not made for this kind of game too... . It is true that when I was younger I played Command & Conquier, Civilization, Theme park... and on my jaguar yet I finished AVP, Iron Soldier, Highlander... but I wasn't playing that type of game.

Edited by RadiATIon

45 minutes ago, RadiATIon said:

I just tried it for 1 hour. 30 mn with rotary controller and 30 mn with Pro controller. Indeed, the second is the best. However, I find the same difficulties as with Last Strike. I die every 2/3 minutes or almost. It's frustrating and finally, even if the game is beautiful, and grandiose on the sound side, I quickly move on, because I don't take pleasure. It's a shame for me. I don't know who the testers of the games are, probably beasts of this type of game, or maybe I'm not made for this kind of game too... . It is true that when I was younger I played Command & Conquier, Civilization, Theme park... and on my jaguar yet I finished AVP, Iron Soldier, Highlander... but I wasn't playing that type of game.

Its a shame you got frustrated quickly, maybe I can help out.

I hardly can believe you died every 2 minutes in training mission 1? For beginners I recommend you to start with the training 1, 2 and 3, to get the feel with the gravity and controls.

Don't play with a rotary, it will make the game 2x harder. If you have a Pro, use that. 

Use the C button, hold it to rotate your ship into perfect landing position automatically, then use a little bit of side thrusters to make a save landing. Auto rotating makes your life a lot easier.:-)

It's not that hard if you use the control options we included.  I consider myself an average gamer, however, gravity games can be very hard to get used to for some.

Another trick is to use the thrusters very gently and the gravity/inertia to your advantage - let it sail!

A lot of people are probably thrusting too hard and loose control very quickly.

The controls are not your twitchy arcade style shmup, don't try to force it, let it flow.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I just tried it for 30mn over lunch, and while I kept dying, I was intrigued by the special effect when you're close to the edge of the screen. I've never seen that on any game but it adds some depth, where did the idea come from? (or is it just my old flat tv playing tricks on me :D)

The planetary shield?

1 hour ago, RadiATIon said:

If I may, regarding Last Strike, I found tapping/releasing d-pad is way to go, as is staying close to the ground. Avoid temptation to kill everything. Learn to bomb around edges of obstacles. Memorize enemy locations on each stage. Above all: Avoid the Ground.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, amiman99 said:

Question.

It says "Please note, this ROM is locked to Skunkboards and RetroHQ’s Jaguar Gamedrive boards – and will not run if made into a real cart or used on an emulator."

So, I can't try the demo on an emulator? I don't have the above stuff to try it on.

No, sorry, it won't run on an emulator. 

I would absolutely love to release ROMs that will work on emulators, but every time I do such things unscrupilous 'people' start making carts and selling them on ebay/etsy/etc. 

If someone were to 'buy' a copy of the demo at the rates these 'people' charge then they might not feel inclined to 'spend more' for the full version. It's a shame such a small, tight knit community has to get damaged by their actions.

• Like 9