IGNORED

Another VCS with no colour after composite mod

Starglider01

Duuuude!  I think that California girl liked you!

One suggestion, especially for removing surface mount stuff without tearing pads:  Get solder braid. It's good for sponging up excess solder.  Also, a hot air station makes removing stuff like that easier.  Yet another option is to use a special low-temp solder, such as sold under the name "Chip Quik".  You mix that in with the solder that's there, and it weakens the solder bonds until you can just pull the whole thing up with a well-placed soldering iron strike.

• Like 1

Okay, while I know that the game ESB has some issues with not following proper scan line counts, it should NOT be flickering like it is with each shot in your video on a CRT like that. So something else still seems a bit amiss in that video signal causing some sort of drop out is my guess?

16 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Okay, while I know that the game ESB has some issues with not following proper scan line counts, it should NOT be flickering like it is with each shot in your video on a CRT like that. So something else still seems a bit amiss in that video signal causing some sort of drop out is my guess?

Well, I've seen other reports of that exact thing online and they suggest the 4050 chip or the caps by the joystick port. I replaced one cap on each side with the static mod as you saw. Not sure I'm up for replacing all the other ceramic caps just yet lol...

6 minutes ago, Starglider01 said:

Well, I've seen other reports of that exact thing online and they suggest the 4050 chip or the caps by the joystick port. I replaced one cap on each side with the static mod as you saw. Not sure I'm up for replacing all the other ceramic caps just yet lol...

I guess if you think you're done with the video, you could send the Atari itself to CB for a final run-through and repairs.

31 minutes ago, Starglider01 said:

Fire up 2600 Moon Patrol if you have it. The Title screen on that game has issues with modern displays so I would be curious if it looks okay on your restored H6. But yeah very odd to see that extreme video drop out just from firing your shots. More interesting is that it didn't seem to do it as much at the end of the vid when you and Ladyfractic are both playing.

• Like 2

Fire up 2600 Moon Patrol if you have it. The Title screen on that game has issues with modern displays so I would be curious if it looks okay on your restored H6. But yeah very odd to see that extreme video drop out just from firing your shots. More interesting is that it didn't seem to do it as much at the end of the vid when you and Ladyfractic are both playing.

I don't think I have that one.

towards the end of the video I realized we could hold down fire. it is the very act of the fire button joystick signal traveling to the computer (or from it if it's bringing it to ground) that causes it. Holding down fire stops it. Perhaps a momentary voltage dropout or increase. But I have a new voltage regulator on there.

for some reason it doesn't bother me so much. at first I thought it was a clever effect by the game to add more drama! At the very worst it is charming to me, keeping in mind that this is nearly five decades old... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 minutes ago, Starglider01 said:

for some reason it doesn't bother me so much. at first I thought it was a clever effect by the game to add more drama! At the very worst it is charming to me, keeping in mind that this is nearly five decades old... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is quite a dramatic effect that is for sure! But isn't the intended effect. I wonder if Star Master would do something similar as there is quite a bit of firing off your lasers in that game to take out enemies as well. I have heard of composite mods like this in the past causing noise or static like effects to appear on the screen whenever the player presses the fire button, but as I don't get requests for 2600 work, it isn't something I've looked into personally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starglider01 said:

towards the end of the video I realized we could hold down fire. it is the very act of the fire button joystick signal traveling to the computer (or from it if it's bringing it to ground) that causes it. Holding down fire stops it. Perhaps a momentary voltage dropout or increase. But I have a new voltage regulator on there.

That's interesting.  The Quadtari was having similar issues, though in its case there was more complex stuff going on due to the multiplexing of 2 joysticks on the same port.  It does seem to indicate that there is a defect in power handling, especially on the side that's supposed to power the video output components.  But it is far more pronounced on this one.

C101, C102, L102, and C105 on the switch board are part of the power smoothing circuit for video.

3 hours ago, Starglider01 said:

CB?

CrossBow.

Edited by ChildOfCv

Can be a real rabbit hole this. My modded 2600 had no colour on a few TVs I tried. Got a new CRT - worked with it but I was getting banding. Tried it on another - no banding - or at least very little. I'm running it through a Sony VCR now on the TV that had banding and that has almost eliminated it too.

Edited by davyK