IGNORED

Heavy Sixer cutting out after a few minutes

JohnD

Hi, all! I have a Heavy Sixer that, after a good cleaning, seemed to be working fine. I booted up Video Pinball and was playing through a second game when the game failed and goes all distorted, kind of like when the contacts don't line up properly between the system and cart. I had been playing on and off for about 15 minutes at that point, Super Breakout, then Kaboom!, then Video Pinball. It sounds to me like something is overheating and causing the failure after a little play time. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for/replacing/resoldering/etc.?

Heavy Sixer issue.jpg

• 8 months later...

If you haven't, clean the contacts on the cartridges and in the cart slot. Never hurts, especially with Activision carts. A little 91% alcohol and a cotton swab will take care of the cart contacts. I posted a method for cleaning cart slots in my blog.

For replacing parts, I'd suggest a re-cap kit first. Then the hex buffer (socket it, if it isn't). Those are easy, off-the-shelf parts to replace. Then go after the bigger chips if the problem persists.

check the 7805 voltage regulator for cracks at the solder joints. those stand-up mount regulators were good for that. They run fine until they warm up enough for the crack to open.

game repairs 163.jpg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

I would check the voltage regulator first measuring the input and output voltage with a multi-meter, normally you should read about 9V DC going in and 5V DC coming out, centre pin is ground

Also try the finger test or use freezer spray to see if the TIA, ROIT or 6502 are getting very hot very quickly

• Like 1