IGNORED

Atari Flashback 11?

I believe Bill has said there is. 

They oddly don't release information before product releases most of the time, so we'll have to wait and see for actual details when this pops up at retail shortly. I sadly imagine it's a safe bet that it's a rerun of last year's model without an up to date build of Stella and without the return of the external SD slot of the Atari Flashback 9. Going further than what they sold last year primarily only benefits classic gamers and not their core casual audience, so sadly the incentive probably isn't there to implement further improvements. Especially with how their plug and play line seems to be secondary to their arcade cabinets now, I doubt much attention was directed towards the Flashback XI.

But hopefully they will have at least improved their attention to the specs of HDMI for 2020's product lineup. They've always had tv compatibility problems, audio difficulties, etc. I'm no expert and don't know why there are issues there, but it does affect their customers and I've also had some minor experiences there as well (Several of their HDMI products will occasionally boot up without audio for me, but it always works as it should upon restarting). And like most people, I don't encounter problems with other HD sources connected via HDMI, so it's something specifically off with what AtGames does. 

So hopefully that's fixed. I suspect it doesn't even necessarily demand that they retool their hardware. I bet just some more attention to their firmware programming and the HDMI specifications is all it would take to eradicate these annoyances. 

Edited by Atariboy

I would agree with Atariboy here. Im guessing the Atari Flashback 11 will most likely be the same thing as the last unit. I'm guessing nothing will be changed at all, except maybe the built in games list. 

I dont see them updating stella, returning the sd card slot (theyve said its not up to them.) I doubt they will improve HDMI or Paddle support. Only thing i see them updating, maybe, is the lazy/ugly menus and UI. Thats simple and long overdue.

I know they dont seem to think so at atgames, but its time to make mini systems that actually look like they should. Its past time really. 7800 mini, 5200 mini, jaguar mini, all should have come out if possible. Same with Intellivision and ColecoVision or any other property they could license. People buy the mini units and put them on a shelf. They would have to have them.

3 hours ago, Draxxon said:

I know they don't seem to think so at atgames, but its time to make mini systems that actually look like they should. [...] Same with Intellivision and ColecoVision or any other property they could license. People buy the mini units and put them on a shelf. They would have to have them.

The Intellivision and ColecoVision mini-consoles were already sold several years ago. I have the CV version, which includes a mix of licensed games and homebrews. Neither version sold as well as the Atari original.  

It is odd that there is no info, but what I would like to see at least  is the date at which the new Flashback units are set to be released. I can be surprised at what the game list is, but I just want to know on what day I'll find out. 

I agree too that it looks like the cabinet line will be the future focus. Certainly fair enough. Wish I could have engaged that product line but money and space considerations unfortunately sidelined me on that. And I also agree about the scarcity...in my area, there really weren't any Flashback X's being sold, mostly the Genesis consoles and the 1ups. If the company brings them back this year and keeps retail well stocked, it will give me time to save up money for them (would especially love the Legends with the Star Wars games, etc.). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 10:24 AM, Draxxon said:

I know they dont seem to think so at atgames, but its time to make mini systems that actually look like they should. Its past time really. 7800 mini, 5200 mini, jaguar mini, all should have come out if possible.

Yes, I agree.  I would love to see these mini consoles come out.  Especially a jaguar mini.  

There will be additional production runs of the Flashback consoles, but no notable changes other than having the latest firmware versions. The focus continues to be on the home arcade products (and accessories) like the Legends Ultimate, Legends Gamer series, Legends Pinball, Legends Core, Legends Connect, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

For those looking for new Flashbacks, the Legends Core, which we just released info for on our website, is seen as the logical successor. It's the same hardware and almost all of the same features (BYOG, ArcadeNet, USB, online leaderboards, live streaming, connectivity, etc.) that's in our Legends Ultimate and comes bundled with our Legends Gamer series products. You supply your own controller.

https://www.atgames.net/arcades/legends-core/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...