IGNORED

What we could do better on our TI's with our tractor feed printers.

Omega-TI

Back In The Day...  we could make some really cool banners for parties and other gatherings with our TI's.  As our modern printers 'evolved' to single sheet wonders, we seem to have lost the banner making capability of the old days.  Maybe people don't want to take the time to tape all the pieces together?  Anyway, with the TIPI's PI.PIO to PDF format, we could make banners again using our TI's with our modern printers... with a little tape.  

The question is: WHAT WAS THE BEST BANNER MAKING PROGRAM FOR THE TI-99/4A?

I am a proud owner of a large format printer that uses continuous roll, and has a built in cutting mechanism.

(I can even use "very discount paper" ahem-- in the form of inexpensive plastic-backed freezer/butcher paper for this purpose, which I have done in the past! Conveniently already either 18" or 24" wide, making it ideal for banners. Just not a very "bright" paper, but then again, neither was tractor feed paper, IIRC.)

I can make all the banners I want. :)

Sadly, it is either "LAN connected printer" or "LPT port printer", and the TI typically has no idea how to use it.  However, it does know how to speak PCL, and can function as a raster printer, so it is just fine both for line-art/vector prints, and for "Highly upscaled" raster prints.  I think PI.IO is a front-end for CUPS, so I probably could get it configured to work "natively", but to get good results the TI would need to send the printer something akin to a post-script plot, rather than a raster.  The DPI for black is something like 1200x1200...  A little bit "Higher" than your typical old fashioned okidata from yesteryear. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I can make all the banners I want. :)

Nice!  I only have an HP MFP M477fdn so I'm stuck with single sheets.  I find my TI becoming more and more useful as time goes by, thanks to TIPI, but still, I'd like input on the best TI banner making program.  I had a really neat banner program BITD, but while I have long forgotten it's name, I do recall I could put graphics at either end.  

Being that my memory is not what it once was, I may be remembering this wrong, but something called "CSGD Banner Maker" comes to mind.  Does that ring any bells with anyone?

** EDIT **

I consulted this PDF (below), and it shows CSGD stuff, but not a banner maker.  Maybe I'm confused with their label maker?  Anyone?

Texaments Advert.pdf

Edited by Omega-TI
Added PDF reference file

Well I downloaded the CSGD Banner program...

1181072563_MAINSCREEN.thumb.jpg.51aa8d450c20b6cf4c75f1a857e2649b.jpg

... you'll have to go in manually and edit line 610's "PIO" to "PI.PIO", although after you do this and run it, it breaks on all subsequent attempts to re-run it.  Dunno why yet as I've not investigated any further.

It takes quite a while to print, so wait until your 32K or 1024K light goes out and then you'll see something like this...

File-A.thumb.JPG.6e0e1ff0acb5698d691022d9004b4aa8.JPG

Sadly my output FUBAR, so I must have set something wrong...

output.thumb.JPG.c2b5c44ba23a71b8175b58cbc07897a7.JPG

... but since I can only set it once after modifying line 610, I'll have to re-install from scratch and try again... after I get an operating manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that the pin strike noise was far greater(:lol:) from my 24pin multi-color Panasonic(90's).

And nothing comes close to the Gorilla Banana! The sound of the pins w/unidirectional printing, tractor feed, spring driven carriage return ...with report bell! Printing a single page, seemed to take several minutes. That old spring barely had the strength to get the print-head back and strike the bell, but somehow always made it!:grin:

You could just go nuts!:o

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
capitalization
  • Haha 2

Both the ti AND ms dos 6.22  I can print a letter, an envelope, a label like that. But nowadays, win 10, says, rebooting because update went through Tuesday.

Then I just replaced the ink in my stupid canon printer and now windows 10 won't even. Attempt to print because, low ink msg.

I put win 7 on and it printed, but after it said rolling back updates.

Oh sad state of affairs for the price and effort.

I had a printer in 1983 and I can't remember the name. But it was really good. I took it with me to Iceland when I got stationed in Iceland and used it a lot.

Edited by GDMike