IGNORED

ENTRY 2020: MR. TURTLE

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, digress said:

MR. TURTLE has to collect 5 pearls.

Each level he will have to run, jump, swim & fight through obstacles to attempt and collect each of the 5 pearls and win financial independence for life.

Normally called freedom 55 he's a bit lazy so it'll just be freedom 5 as he gets free food anyways and carries his home on his back.

He can defeat enemies by throwing tridents at them to ward them off or disintegrate them.

He can go into turtle shell mode and be safe from attack but cannot swim again til he comes out of it.

Will drown if he stays underwater too long so he must watch his air meter.

Collected pearls will be displayed as letters of the word PEARL on the screen top left.

obstacles include , drowning, spikes and lava.

currently only 2 distinct enemies. Will be adding some more. 

each of the 5 proposed levels will look unique and have a unique platform designs.

I appreciate this contest being held and this has given me motivation to finsih this project. Here is a video of the current work in progress.

Hi,

I'd like to make a suggestion. Would it be a lot to setup the side action keys to have the top ones jump and both of the bottom ones to shoot the pitchfork, or vice versa? I think it would be easier if both of the functions were available on either side of the controller (for left or right handed players).  Since I use my left thumb on the disc, I have to keep my index finger on the left bottom button to shoot, while my right thumb is on the right bottom button to jump.  I think the game would be a little more fun if I could use my right thumb to jump or shoot (on the right side of the keypad).  And if someone plays with their right thumb on the disc, they can use their left thumb on the side action keys to jump or shoot.

(I apologize if this reply is repeating again.  I didn't look like it was submitted earlier).

Thanks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Old Timey Retro Gamer said:

Hi,

I'd like to make a suggestion. Would it be a lot to setup the side action keys to have the top ones jump and both of the bottom ones to shoot the pitchfork, or vice versa? I think it would be easier if both of the functions were available on either side of the controller (for left or right handed players).  Since I use my left thumb on the disc, I have to keep my index finger on the left bottom button to shoot, while my right thumb is on the right bottom button to jump.  I think the game would be a little more fun if I could use my right thumb to jump or shoot (on the right side of the keypad).  And if someone plays with their right thumb on the disc, they can use their left thumb on the side action keys to jump or shoot.

(I apologize if this reply is repeating again.  I didn't look like it was submitted earlier).

Thanks.

ok. sure i'll do that. I can't test it on an actual intellivision as I don't have a sd cart but I'll make it work and probably put up a test rom at some point.

I remember a similar request for boot hill.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, digress said:

I can't test it on an actual intellivision as I don't have a sd cart but I'll make it work and probably put up a test rom at some point.

Get a USB adapter for a real controller, this will help development without needing a console with an LTO Flash cart.

Due to the flexibility, i'd recommend the 2600-daptor D9 if you are interested in support for a single player adapter (or get two adapters if you want two players), or you can get a UPCI if you want two players using a single adapter and the UPCI supports a few additional things that the D9 doesn't.

Both work great with jzintv

There are a few other adapters out there, too.  It is just that these two are more flexible than the others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Get a USB adapter for a real controller, this will help development without needing a console with an LTO Flash cart.

Due to the flexibility, i'd recommend the 2600-daptor D9 if you are interested in support for a single player adapter (or get two adapters if you want two players), or you can get a UPCI if you want two players using a single adapter and the UPCI supports a few additional things that the D9 doesn't.

Both work great with jzintv

There are a few other adapters out there, too.  It is just that these two are more flexible than the others.

fascinating. I develop for colecovision as well so that could be useful for both systems and i do have an intellivision 2 system with detachable controllers.

I ordered a 2600-daptor D9

That should be fun.

• Like 1

For jzintv you need to use what is called a hackfile to map the adapter to jzintv.

Place this into your jzintv\bin folder (or to the folder of your choice)

hackfile.txt

When you launch jzintv you need to add the flag to use that hackfile

--kbdhackfile=E:\jzIntv\bin\hackfile.txt

For coleco, I'd imagine there is a similar process to get the adapter mapped correctly for the emulator that you are using.  I know CoolCV has a mapping file, but not sure about ColEm - I've not used either.

Others here should be able to help you with those, or pop over to those particular threads :)  

Once you get the adapter, please let us know if you have any questions.

on a side note: 

if you grow tired of the Intv2 controller's side buttons, then you can start to look for an inexpensive Intellivision Flashback and use those controllers with the adapter.

Or you can find an old inexpensive 2609 console and use those controllers, but you need to purchase the little dongle adapter shown on the 2600-daptor site.  Or cut off the inline connector and solder on a DB9 connector

• Like 1

i use coolcv and have edited the mapping file before so I think i can get that working. The hackfile above will make the jzintv easy. Thanks.

I really like the intellivision controller. Be cool to play some inty games through emulation this way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, digress said:

i use coolcv and have edited the mapping file before so I think i can get that working. The hackfile above will make the jzintv easy. Thanks.

I really like the intellivision controller. Be cool to play some inty games through emulation this way.

With all the delays with the US post and Canadian post, hopefully you get it before the next Ice Age 

:snow:

2 hours ago, digress said:

scrolling now in both directions.

new play mechanic - can climb trees and get on branch of tree or top (see video for how)

new caves you can walk through

general speed up

less clunky jump

sample rom of level 2 seen in video below

turtlepsg(forrest_level).rom 46.08 kB · 1 download

The controls feel a lot better now! Awesome job!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Nice! So is the Air gauge really an “energy” one given there is no water?

It just not used on this level unless I put it gas pockets. 

However I have a combo level coming up so half walking half swimming so it'll be usefull again.

1 hour ago, digress said:

Now I just need 1 more themed level and i'll be complete.

I need to Work on the enemy behaviors a bit more too.

https://rumble.com/vdfyo9-level004-snow-level-christmas-theme-mr-turtle-intellivision-2021.html

This is a very cool stage, but I think that the snow effect would work better if the AIR/HUD strip had black colored negative space like the Cave stage. Or having it white colored might give the impression of low hanging clouds?

The current light blue/Cyan space looks like clear sky above and makes the snow fall feel like a slow moving waterfall.

• Like 1