IGNORED

HSC17 Round 18: MINER 2049'er + JSW 2019

OK I've cheated here as it's late and I've been working so here's my enthusiastic post from last time we played...  just to add that I've asked Fandal to take a look at the impossible levels Zone 5 Station ?? I think and Station 3 on Zones 6-10? (Looks like it's Zone 10 Station 3) deteacher if you want to start on Zone 5 on NTSC and identify (and practice the tricky ones just incase you get there :P ) I will do the same on PAL. Whether F. has time to do this before the round is over I doubt, but you never know. It would be nice to play through the enture game. I have one remaining good joystick so I'm digging it out of the entabled mess in my Atari chest :-D

Also I encourage players who can never get very far to try some of the other screens, so use bonus challenge #3 to explore the game :)

Miner 2049'er

miner_2049er.pngminer_2049er_cart.jpg

Tune up those joysticks as it's platform perfection in Miner 2049'er and every pixel counts. Everyone welcome to join in, post if you need any help :)

Bonus Challenges

NEW: #0 To be played as part of normal goes - not restarting! Highest score on Stations 1, 2 and 3 in 1 man!

#2 starting on skill 10, why not! [press 0 to try this] 1pt for highest #2a If you are playing on cartridge then this might be the 'super energy jumps' so let me know.

#3 Beat any 6 stations for 2pts or all 10 stations on Zone 1 for 5pts in any number of goes, use the warp below to start on each level if needed, just post a list screens you have beaten no scores required

To practice any levels - [NOT for top players] - Stand on a safe place on the first level and type in the phone number of Big 5 including the area code then use the Shift & the number keys to select a starting station [no cheating :grin:]

#4 come up with an amusing HSC or Atari related verse to Clementine perhaps you'd like to give fellow HSCers some jazz! :music:

In a cavern, in a canyon,
Excavating for a mine,
Lived a miner, forty-niner
And his daughter Clementine

Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling,
Oh my Darling Clementine.
You are lost and gone forever,
Dreadful sorry, Clementine.

Downloads fandal - atarionline.pl - Info atarimania

JET SET WILLY 2019

And I always though we were missing out :P Ok Spectrum fans here is out 3rd version of the beast (kindly brought to us by Tezz). Post # of items collected - goes off screen at the end of your go ☹️

Downloads fandal

jet_set_willy_2019.png.b26593b881c0cb3625602ee77197e75b.png

Scoring full HSC points for both games!
Round closes Sunday 18th October 10am UK time*

*may be extended if deteacher is somehow winning

Game on!

Edited by therealbountybob
Bonus Challenges updated
  • Like 3

Jet Set Willy: 4 items collected

I know I'll probably get some hate for this, but I've honestly never understood the appeal of Jet Set Willy. Then again, I didn't grow up with this game. But I've tried to play it every now and then over the years.

On one hand, I really appreciate the music, the expansiveness, and the weird sense of humor and get the impression that this is a game developed by one guy in his bedroom with a lot of love.

But there are so many jumps that require pixel perfect precision, so many screens that appear to be unsolvable, what seems like bugs everywhere (entering a room and running straight into a baddie), no clear sense of where I'm supposed to go, the slow speed at which Willy moves and jumps...

I just don't get it. ? It's nothing personal if you're really into JSW. Maybe the sense of accomplishment that comes from overcoming an extreme challenge *IS* the appeal. I have no idea.

But it's okay - I'll still give it some goes over the next few weeks. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it.

Note: This is not a complaint about JSW's selection for the HSC. ? I'm just curious to know why this game is so highly regarded and well-loved by many, many people.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling,
Oh my Darling Clementine.

I had to look this up. From what I can find, only the Atari 8-bit, MS-DOS and Super Cassette Vision (!!) versions contain a version of Clementine. The Game Boy and Windows versions of the game have other forms of nondescript music, and the rest have none at all, including the C64 etc. Not even the official Intellivision port from 2017 contains this music, it seems to have been modeled on the ColecoVision version rather than the A8 version, with extra levels IIRC.

I also realized that the A8 versions of JSW contain catchy but unhummable music by Rob Hubbard, rather than the classic but equally unhummable Moonlight Sonata in the C64 and CPC versions. The original ZX version has some short ditty that kind of is similar to Rob's work, while I really thought it would have a single tone beeper version of Beethoven.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, graywest said:

Jet Set Willy: 4 items collected

I know I'll probably get some hate for this, but I've honestly never understood the appeal of Jet Set Willy. Then again, I didn't grow up with this game. But I've tried to play it every now and then over the years.

On one hand, I really appreciate the music, the expansiveness, and the weird sense of humor and get the impression that this is a game developed by one guy in his bedroom with a lot of love.

But there are so many jumps that require pixel perfect precision, so many screens that appear to be unsolvable, what seems like bugs everywhere (entering a room and running straight into a baddie), no clear sense of where I'm supposed to go, the slow speed at which Willy moves and jumps...

I just don't get it. ? It's nothing personal if you're really into JSW. Maybe the sense of accomplishment that comes from overcoming an extreme challenge *IS* the appeal. I have no idea.

But it's okay - I'll still give it some goes over the next few weeks. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it.

I hadn't played the game until last year when the new version was released. I never owned a Spectrum but I did see a friend playing this game years ago and for some reason I always wanted to play it.

The bugs that were in the original game aren't in this release. There is only one screen that you have to lose 1 life retrieving 1 item and I find another item on that screen next to impossible to get without losing a life. But otherwise all the other screens are solvable without losing a life.

It is a very difficult game to complete without a lot of practice and a good memory. Even when you have a solution for every room it is still very difficult to execute all the jumps with the right timing, it took me weeks to complete it last year and when I tried again a week later I got no where near!

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, graywest said:

I've honestly never understood the appeal of Jet Set Willy

On the ZX Spectrum, I think part of this is due to "beggars aren't choosers". Matthew Smith produced a fine platform game with Manic Miner on a system that didn't have very many games with depth and long playability. It was followed up by the possibly even larger Jet Set Willy. Both games received level hacks, bug fixes etc. Obviously both games were ported across to other systems, but I think the majority of MM/JSW fans origin from the ZX platform.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

I had to look this up. From what I can find, only the Atari 8-bit, MS-DOS and Super Cassette Vision (!!) versions contain a version of Clementine. The Game Boy and Windows versions of the game have other forms of nondescript music, and the rest have none at all, including the C64 etc. Not even the official Intellivision port from 2017 contains this music, it seems to have been modeled on the ColecoVision version rather than the A8 version, with extra levels IIRC.

I also realized that the A8 versions of JSW contain catchy but unhummable music by Rob Hubbard, rather than the classic but equally unhummable Moonlight Sonata in the C64 and CPC versions. The original ZX version has some short ditty that kind of is similar to Rob's work, while I really thought it would have a single tone beeper version of Beethoven.

The Atari 2600 versions also play "Clementine."  :)

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, McKong said:

Can we have full points for both games? It might encourage people tp play JSW some more!

Ok McKong I see you're going to force me to play it properly :-o :-D

Had my warm up on Miner, using sub optimal button, got to Station 2 on the 2nd round where I jumped to get a bug but forgot to collect the item first!!!  59,120 "jaskill" erm trbb, old habits die hard eh?!!

1832045305_TNTitsdyn-a-mite.jpg.df1d7b8d92f7d22065b61ff4d7fc17db.jpg1964852736_Miner59120er.jpg.f9d84b486739cb53ba56c9e52ca9809b.jpg

Has a look at Zone 5 which UI though had impossible 3rd Station but that seems ok, need to check the rest. Thanks carlsson re Zone 10 info.

Bonus Challenge #0 (I added it!) first two three Stations in 1 man 13,585

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

Quick first goes:

Miner 2049er - 15595 pts (reached zone 1 station 3, need to figure out how to get to the third floor without dying)

Jet Set Willy 2019 - 9 items (as noted, too short amount of time to take a screenshot unless you do it before game over)

miner2049er-15595.thumb.jpg.eae6eec3571639e4d7e4b33fc0e79bdd.jpg

I can't recall if I have any previous personal bests on other versions of JSW. In principle I should like it but ... not sure, perhaps it grows after playing it a few rounds. To one point it reminds me of that Pong game we played two years ago (which some liked and some despised).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Miner Bonus #2:  Zone 10 Station 3 (impossible to complete with slow Bounty Bob):  18,320!

Miner Bonus 18320.png

Thanks will check that one out!

We also need to find someone with Cart ver - I thought I remembered it having Super Energy Jumps on the pulverisors screen so you could jump right :ponder:

Ok, I've been testing levels to see what can be cleared on NTSC machines.  Here's what I've found so far.

Zone 5:  All levels can be cleared.  Station 10 is difficult, but with patience, the right timing and expert jumping, it can be done.

Zone 6:  I've made it through stations 1-9.  They can all be cleared.  Since killing the baddies is the most important goal, you definitely lose a lot of time, but it can be done.  Have not cleared station 10 yet.

Back to it. :)

• Like 1