IGNORED

Murray - Adapter to play Robotron with SNES controller

Danjovic

This adapter was named after The 8 Bit Guy that came with a SNES layout for a game that he is developing (for Commodore PET/64) that have controls very similar to Robotron, where the directional Pad controls the movement while the X Y A B buttons control the fire direction (shooting).

image.png.a680736d6f4da7a9bc76afd6669673e9.png

Full keyboard control is provided using the SELECT and START buttons as Alt/Modifiers keys. 

image.thumb.png.c8c0148a5bb74927e77e9be1ab70c867.png

The connections to the Atari 5200 should be done by use of two cable extensions. 

The connection to the SNES controller should be done by cutting an extension cable and soldering the wires to the PCB.

image.thumb.png.63ce0b21e080d1a064eebf12fa1ff76a.png

The PCB is designed to fit within a Hammond 1593J case. It is a single face board which means that it can be done at home with ease.

image.thumb.png.e2204a0b8d15102e5ee010fd1a112389.png

Code is in progress. Progress will be updated in the project page at my blog.

• Like 2

You can also play Robotron: 2084 on an SNES with an SNES controller, via the Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits cartridge. ?

Any consideration to program something like this for the Super Famicom NTT Data controller, as it's an SNES controller with a built in keypad...versus using modifier keys?

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

You can also play Robotron: 2084 on an SNES with an SNES controller, via the Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits cartridge. ?

Any consideration to program something like this for the Super Famicom NTT Data controller, as it's an SNES controller with a built in keypad...versus using modifier keys?

Technically it is possible, as the protocol is known, but aren't such controllers rare and expensive? 

Expensive is a relative term and will vary by the user...but at $55-$65 for the SFC NTT Data controllers last time I checked, I don't consider them "radically expensive." I will stipulate however, that several million fewer were made, versus the standard SNES control pad variety, thus they can be a bit trickier to track down...but they always seem to be available on ebay.  I just think it would be a nice option for those who would prefer the convenience of an actual dedicated keypad...versus using the "hold this button, and now this button equals this button" concept...again if it is possible.  I'm probably in the minority here with this thinking/mind-set...as most folks only seem interested in the lowest cost option possible, regardless of quality, ergonomics, and/or convenience.  Again, just thinking as it's simply an alternate SNES/SFC controller, no major hardware/design changes would be necessary, unless additional components would be required on the PCB.  But if it can be made the same, as 1 unit that works with standard SNES/SFC control pads with modifiers, or a Data controller with its keypad...then the adapter is still the same cost for the builder and/or buyer...and its up to the end user to decide if they are happy with their $5 Chinese knock-off controller, a little more for a legit Nintendo controller, or the "ridiculous" $55-$65 for a Data controller.  My two cents. 

Base code is ready. It was written on Arduino platform but haven't used almost none Arduino function, so the code can be compiled in plain AVR-GCC with minimal modification.

Added support for detecting plain SNES / NTT keypad and even NES controllers (albeit with reduced functionality) .

image.png.5145212e9899887d8809ff43f4b972ce.png image.thumb.png.c4d356faaccb508b8527d5681bbd1ad8.png 

On the absence of a cable connected to the second port the XYAB buttons should behave like top and bottom buttons.

image.png.8106199fda10d9a58d98ba5f6b239a34.pngimage.png.361bc7fe77fb0ce488305e47ac4440df.png

I should be able to assemble a prototype when I get back home in the middle of january, 2021 . In the meantime, I recommend to everyone interested in such interface to take a look at the files that I have just uploaded to a github repository. The project is released under a GPL license as usual to my projects, then if someone wish to experiment or build your own version please go ahead!