IGNORED

Coleco ADAM TMS-RGB Mod Possible?

50 minutes ago, Kamshaft said:

I'm pretty sure they have the same TMS - 9928A chip.  Thus, it SHOULD work....never tested... lol

I bet it could work, so it should have the same VDP as the regular Cole  Vision.

Coleco ADAM + TMS-RGB + Virtual Disk Drive + Internal Power Supply Mod = Ultimate Coleco ADAM!!!

Edited by Retro_Game_Lover96
  • Like 1

If the specs I can find for the Adam are correct it does feature the same TMS9928A video chip as the standard Coleco. That means it should be no problem fitting a TMS-RGB to it. The mod chip pulls the necessary signals directly from the VDP, without any other inputs necessary, making it independent of the rest of the computer/console. The only reason I can think this wouldn't work is if the VDP itself aren't supplied with all the signals necessary for the TMS-RGB to function but that does seem unlikely.

Unless the mod makes the output better than stock output then there is no reason.

I used a color monitor back in the 80's with composite and it was fantastic.

Now I use a standard composite to HDMI upscaler which works great despite a short delay when first turned on.

If anything the standalone ADAM has one too many composite outs.

They could have saved money on each unit by just using the optional 7 pin din cable.

Seriously, you have either TV or a great picture with no sound because they did not have an RCA jack for sound, just a video out.

OR, make the experience better by including the 7 pin cable but back in the 80's if you could afford a monitor then you could afford to buy an extra cable.

That said, the out circuitry is essentially the same as the Colecovision.

Just another thing they could have improved upon yet took the easy route by not creating separate equipment which helped a lot on repairs and quality control.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:16 PM, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

I doubt the no delay bios could work on the Adam stand alone version because it doesn’t have the extra few holes for the chip, so it won’t be possible.

Whoops. My bad, forgot about that. However, if the No-Delay BIOS is burnt to the correct PROM, it should work seeing as the Coleco OS7 BIOS code in the Stand Alone Adam Memory Console is the same. It has to be otherwise there would be compatibility issues with all games that access the BIOS functions. The 2 games that experience issues, Defender and Super Cobra, are due to memory useage.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

You need to be more specific.  From the pictures above, it sounds like you already installed the TMS-RGB, but now you're saying you are preparing to install it?

Listen, I decided to give a VDP chip a socket, and then I install an RGB mod.

Edited by Retro_Game_Lover96