IGNORED

Coleco ADAM TMS-RGB Mod Possible?

4 hours ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

I assume some of the socketed chips from the ADAM logic board need to be replaced, but I don't know where to find them.

There aren't that many socketed chips on the ADAM Logic Board (usually between 4 and 6) and the only ones that I know we have dumps of to use to burn new Proms / Eproms are the EOS (operating system) and either the 2 or 3 SmartWriter chips.

The ColecoVision Delta Board has none.

ADAM Logic Boards R80 (variations).jpg

ADAM ColecoVision Delta Boards (left is newer revision).jpg

2 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Well, shucks...you found me ?

Well, you might not want to call other people's work "shakey".  Especially when they're doing it to their own console or computer and not someone else's.  Here's some recent pictures of YOUR work that you SOLD to an unsuspecting customer on eBay (one of many) that I've had to go back and do extensive repair to. 

Enjoy the pictures and thanks for the job security...

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

121829522_694032781220825_8220149967218903951_o.jpg

14 minutes ago, Sirius said:

I would be more than happy to repair or replace any console I've sold. Exactly how many have you had to repair?

Quite a few but does an exact number matter?  One going out like this at the price you're charging is one too many wouldn't you say?  

This thread isn't going to be derailed any further but I posted what I did for a reason.  Don't critique other people's work in any forum when YOU SELL shoddy work like you have to people.  

Shame on you sir.

First off, I'm NOT the "notorious modder" and I'm NOT the modder of the other systems you have posted on FB and yes, it would matter to me how many of these that you've repaired because of you're implications as to "many". You show one system that I modded, claim "many" and I don't understand why the cap on the left is missing, someone had to have removed it. I was never contacted about a problem and I would not sell it like that to someone because I fully test them several times as I do each mod before listing the console. A console simply will not work without that cap, but works fine without the cap on the right after the memory mod, also, I do see the lifted trace on the right and I have no explanation or excuse for that or may have not been worried because that cap is not needed. There's no need to replace the cap on the right only to have it start leaking. I also don't sell them with the RF cover off and the wires for the mod in a mess like that. I route them neatly and tuck them under the cover and have never has an issue with the composite mods. But hey, nice picture of the slightly lifted smd resistor that was tested with no issues and I see you replaced it along with the BIOS chip. Where they not working? You don't say. I've learned over the coarse of modding these consoles, what works and what doesn't.  I no longer use machined sockets for the memory or controller IC's because it takes to much heat to get a good solder joint and the legs on the IC's vary from brand to brand causing connection problems. You claim many issues with the board but only point out one and never state what the other issues are except for posting pictures of solder joints and the composite board that has nothing wrong with it besides the fact that I'm guessing you didn't like the looks of it. I admit, solder joints could've been a problem and that's why I stopped using machined sockets and my soldering skills have greatly improved. As for "shame", sorry,  I don't have any because I'm not out to rip people off as you're suggesting and I will gladly repair, replace or refund a persons money if they have problems, even many months after purchase. Of all the 50+ I've sold, I've only had 2 returns. 1 because I accidentally bent over a pin on a memory IC which was working fine but after shipping internationally it became an issue. I promptly paid return shipping and refunded his money. As for the other one, they couldn't get it to work because they didn't understand that you needed a power supply in order for it to work. If someone has a problem and they don't contact me, there's nothing I can do about it! You know my user name on Ebay, anyone reading this can check my feedback and see the many great comments left for these consoles.  As for hijacking the thread, it's a little late for that, you got the word out and I'm sure you've been itching to call me out for awhile now. As for calling out the OP on his soldering, sure...I could've phrased that better but I only brought it up because I've learned...skills make a difference and that very likely could be the problem with his board. Just trying to help, NOT CRITICIZE! And last but not least, I do have respect for your mods and your work and I'm sorry I don't live up to your standards!

100_1298.JPG

100_1300.JPG

100_1302.JPG

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

I am lucky enough to get the motherboard replacements on eBay, so I replaced the top board and it works like a charm!

Glad to hear. I figured the issue was with the top board.

Perhaps go with a “Composite to RGB or VGA or HDMI” upscaler this time around if the ADAM’s Composite video output from the Auxillary or Monitor Port is not to your liking. ?

Who said you're not supposed to socket the chips?  You do have to be careful since they used thin traces, but I have not heard of adverse affects from socketing.

Did the seller you bought that top board from say anything about doing repairs?  Maybe you could send your old top board in to have it fixed.