IGNORED

Collecting video series on Youtube.

Philflound

I wanted to point out that I have started a collecting video series on Youtube. I never created videos or a Youtube channel, so there will be nothing fancy here. The channel is called "Collecting, Investing or Somewhere In-Between". It's going to cover many different areas of collecting. I'm beginning the series with vintage video games, but will eventually move on to comic books, trading cards, action figures, and many other genre. It's an informative series and I don't anticipate ever making any money with it. Some of the videos have been running rather long. The Atari 2600 video alone ran over 2 hours and I still had more to say. I'll be giving some history about the collectible I'm discussing including personal history of how I may have gotten into it or discussing my childhood if that was where I was introduced to said collectible. I'm trying to show examples in the video and will occasionally put in scans and on-screen recording. It's a bit rough in the beginning and I'm not having fancy backgrounds or backdrops. Again, it's the first time I'm doing this and I'm sort of winging it. I don't have hours to spend on editing and such so I'm usually going with the flow. After some discussion with friends and co-workers, I decided to keep each individual released video to around no more than 1 hour. So I cut the Atari 2600 into 2 parts and part 1 just rather ends without any final "note" saying goodbye. Future episodes I'll try and create a small into and ending if I split the video into parts. I'll get better over time.

I released a pre-intro video explaining some things briefly (under 4 minutes) and then my real intro video which is the first I ever did is almost an hour. The Atari 2600 part 1 was just released last night. I'll link each video and if you have any interest, feel free to watch. Pause or go back to the videos if you think they're too long for a single viewing. I'm not going to give a specific time limit for anything I talk about. I'm giving the information that I think needs to be discussed and even then, I seem to forget some things. I may use some notes but have no script. I think improv is more fun. 

I may seem a bit mechanical at first. Again, it's the first time I'm doing this. But as I go on, I'll feel a bit more relaxed and hopefully the videos become a bit more enjoyable. Episode 2 shows this website along with Atarimania and I mention some others that I use for information either in the video or will be listed in the comments. I had some problems with my audio cutting out in the last few minutes of Episode 2 so I need to re-record the last part of it tomorrow. Episode 2 also covers the 5200 and 7800. I do mention Lynx and Jaguar briefly but don't go into depth with them. Episode 3 is already finished and covers the Intellivision. Episode 4 hopefully will also be recorded tomorrow and will cover the Colecovision. SMS will have its own episode as will the original NES. If I can find my inventory of other game systems like Odyssey 2, Bally Astrocade, and some other smaller ones, I'll try and make videos of them too. If not, I'll move to comic books and eventually come back to other stuff in the future. 

So hopefully you'll enjoy and possibly learn from what I'm presenting. I just wanted to do something for collectors out there, but more importantly, I wanted to do it for myself. At 50 years old, I don't know how much more time I have on this earth. So at least people can remember me by something. I'm attaching all the links. You can go directly to the Atari 2600 if you want to skip the intro, but I think the intro has some important and useful information along with discussing what the video series will be involving. Thanks for watching and feel free to subscribe, ask question, make comments or like (or dislike) what you're watching.

Phil

Here is the channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6KFNYmF0YsONFCAShqydA

• Like 6

Excellent approach on the third party industries, the explanation of the strategies of each one was also very cool.
I like to think how they did to gain space in sales.
Offering new games like Activision or featuring classics like Atari, being based on famous films or characters like 20th Century Fox, Parker Brothers or M Network. Anyway the race was open!
Congratulations.

• Like 1

Did the Colecovision last week and finished the Sega Master System this morning. I can't believe I didn't mention Sonic in the SMS video. I'll do it in the comments though.

Here is a breakdown right now of video releases for those interested. I'll list the date as a Saturday, but may release them on rridays.

10/17: Episode 2, Atari 2600 (visiting websites) part 1. 

10/24: Episode 2 Atari 5200/7800 part 2

10/31: Intellivision

11/13: Colecovision

11/27: Sega Master System

NES may be following 2 weeks later. Each new video will be released every 2 weeks. If something is in 2 parts, then you will get 3 consecutive videos as technically it's not a new episode, just a new part. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, Philflound said:

Here's the latest video.

I didn't realize that it doesn't open the Youtube video but rather just watches it here. Technology. Hah. I guess you can just click one of the links above and get to Youtube. So don't forget the schedule I put a couple of posts ago. I'm not recording anything tomorrow. Taking a break for now. Have to consult with my NES guy. He doesn't want to be on the video, but is giving me lots of info and history to discuss in it. Seeya next week with my 5200 and 7800 with the blooper too. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Philflound said:

Episode 4: Colecovision

I mention in the comments that at the end of the video, I have a photo of Xmas 1983 when I got my CV.

I've been watching and enjoying the videos. The Christmas picture at the end was pretty cool, not only for the Colecovision but also for that time period in general.

You mentioned Oil's Well. It's one of my favorite games from back in the day. I used to play it on my Commodore 64. It's quite a bit different than the game you described (I know you weren't describing Oil's Well). Oil's Well is more of an action game, very similar to the Aardvark game released for the 2600 in the Atari Age store.

Also, just out of curiosity, my wife wants to know what type of room you're in (she watched less than 30 seconds of one episode lol). She thought it was a basement because of the air register in the ceiling and what she's assuming is a utility/sump pump/etc closet at what she thinks is the bottom of your basement stairs. I pointed out that there's what appears to be access to storage or something in the ceiling and that I've seen background light in other videos that makes me think you're not in a basement. Clearly you're in a basement, upstairs or somewhere inbetween lol.

Keep the videos coming. Really enjoying them.

14 hours ago, Philflound said:

Episode 4: Colecovision

I mention in the comments that at the end of the video, I have a photo of Xmas 1983 when I got my CV.

https://youtu.be/lrhjjKhxg9U

Colecovision is a very cool! I loved the Christmas photo from 1983, great time! Congratulations on the episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the moment, I put the video game episodes on hold as I haven't gotten to the boxes of other vintage systems. So I moved on to comic books. I just released the introduction video. Below is the link to the thread where I'll be posting my comic book releases every 2 weeks. I expect there to be at least 6-8 videos. Also, I probably will be posting other collectible videos under that thread like toys, action figures, trading cards, etc. We'll see when we get there. Thanks for watching.

Phil