IGNORED

TI Purists, please don't click here! - (Diskette Sleeves)

Omega-TI

Being that original TI Diskette Sleeves are unobtanium for the most part, counterfeiting them, (for personal use), seems like the way to go. ?  To that end, if you want to add a little more durability into the mix, you could always get this...  << TYVEK LIKE PAPER >> for laser printers or this << "JAM PAPER" >> for Inkjet printers.  It's not exactly cheap, but hey, it's a hobby!  

Sadly to date, I've not seen a PDF sleeve for 3.5" diskettes.  Yeah, I know, they are not exactly needed, but would be nice for those of us who only have 3.5" drives and still keep a few disks on hand.

TI Diskette Sleeve.pdf

• Like 2

Gawd, next we'll be seeing the auctions for NOS 5 1/4" disk sleeves! :-D

I never treated one sleeve from another, just preference for those you could scribble on, cross out, add to, etc. as I changed the contents. Some Tyvek types didn't work well for this.

More fun was a few programs I used to create a cut,fold'n'glue sleeve from standard paper that had a tidy printed multicolumn directory on the front.

Later, I used my Catman program to create a Library of all files in my collection while it printed out the directory on 3.5" wide roll paper for clipping and inserting in the sleeve.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Gawd, next we'll be seeing the auctions for NOS 5 1/4" disk sleeves! :-D

Gawd, I hope not, but ya never know, maybe some "buddy" might.  Not sure if I could "bear" it though. ?

1511267924_FestWestSleeves.thumb.JPG.2a39df4e3446a830ee159ca3efe75a79.JPG

It's hard to believe it was three years ago, but I tweaked the original to make a bunch of FestWest 2017 sleeves.

4 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Sadly to date, I've not seen a PDF sleeve for 3.5" diskettes.

I have never seen ornamental sleeves for 3.5" diskettes, only blank white paper and thin transparent plastic sleeves.  The latter I only ever saw on early DD disks.

3 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Gawd, I hope not, but ya never know, maybe some "buddy" might.  Not sure if I could "bear" it though. ?

I dunno.  I have been experimenting (at not low cost) with printing to Tyvek paper.  The results are disappointing, irrespective of the ink jet or type of ink.  It looks like I need a sublimation printer to get proper results.  Had I been able to get good results, I would have happily sold batches of five or 10.  This shyte ain't cheap.

(Sorry oldcs1, I know about your hate boner for Beezos)

The only protectors for 3.5" diskettes I can recall, where either hard plastic jewel cases--

https://www.amazon.com/Floppy-Diskette-Case-Clear-DISKCASE/dp/B00B9KANL6

or were plastic sleeves, which I can't seem to find. (would be super easy to make with roll vinyl, or thermal lamination pouches)

As for disk sleeves for 5.25" diskettes--  A nice roll of shiny cardstock would do fine, no?  Say, some 9mil thick satin photo paper, on 36"x100' roll?  An epic buttload of disk sleeves could be cut from that.

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Sleeves for 45 RPM records would work too, wouldn't it?

Are the center holes on those larger than the disk hub?

I looked at that water-proof paper posted above, but I think I will get the 5mil or 7mil direct from the manufacturer.  Now if I could just get die cutting done cheaply.  Maybe not a large die cut, but something like a CriCut.

Yes, I know about you and Beezos-- but you can get this other places. This is just meant to show the existence of the product.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-CM350E-ScanNCut2-ScanNCut-Activation/dp/B07QN172BF/ref=asc_df_B07QN172BF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343242920069&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11988146452649735447&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023948&hvtargid=pla-745917604020&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69167794735&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343242920069&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11988146452649735447&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023948&hvtargid=pla-745917604020

That it is sheet-fed is annoying.  Again, I would go with >7mil satin gloss paper on a 100' roll.  Loading a printed roll into a similarly roll-fed cutter would make churning out blanks super easy.  Sadly, every device in the consumer pricepoint is tailored for scrapbook queens, and has a max size approaching US Size E.  (11"x17")

Very vexing.

In theory, one could invest in BOTH a large format plotter, AND a large format vinyl cutter... and thus get continuous roll function...  but I am not that wealthy.

Edited by wierd_w

2 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Yes, I know about you and Beezos

It does not bear to be repeat repeatedly, repeating in repetition.  I also do not beat my friends or family over the head with my 20-year boycott of Disney. (Oh, and "Star Wars."  Have fun with those :P)

2 hours ago, wierd_w said:

In theory, one could invest in BOTH a large format plotter, AND a large format vinyl cutter... and thus get continuous roll function...  but I am not that wealthy.

One could but, like you, not I.  This would be more of a business investment or a hobby expense for deeper pockets.