IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 13 - Dreadnaught Factor

11 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I agree, plus, I really think this option accomplishes what mr_me would like to see. Level 7 is basically an infinite game at the hardest difficulty setting. That's the best way to really see what players can do.

Agreed ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I agree, plus, I really think this option accomplishes what mr_me would like to see. Level 7 is basically an infinite game at the hardest difficulty setting. That's the best way to really see what players can do.

That's only true if a player gets their highest score on level seven.  They'd have to first try levels four, five, six to know this.  I've tried but I haven't been able to beat my level four high score playing level five.  I think some people here might.

18 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Then we need tiered competition. What if I want to play on level 1 - practice mode? In that mode, I'm only going to get to face off against one dreadnaught. The only way for me to improve my score is to figure out how to blowup more targets before shutting the entire dreadnaught down, ending the game.

People can submit level one scores, no need for tiered competition.  Another, more fun, way to improve your score is to play level two. 

6 minutes ago, mr_me said:

That's only true if a player gets their highest score on level seven.  They'd have to first try levels four, five, six to know this.  I've tried but I haven't been able to beat my level four high score playing level five.  I think some people here might.

People can submit level one scores, no need for tiered competition.  Another, more fun, way to improve your score is to play level two. 

While people could submit level one scores in a level four competition, my concern is that it will quickly become apparent that it's a futile endeavor. Can you imagine what the spread would look like if we told people they could play on practice mode against people who are playing on level 7? Why not give people who are only comfortable on practice mode a level playing field to enjoy the competition against others of a similar skill level playing on the same mode?

EDIT: I feel like I've said my piece. I encourage anyone to disagree, but I can hear myself talking in circles now. It might just be that I don't understand the subtle distinction mr_me is making. For now, I'll gladly try any game on any mode - so long as it's an apples-to-apples competition. :)

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 1

My Dreadnaught Factor Update: Had my best game ever on level 4, but holy crow that bonus level is RIDICULOUS!!! I managed to explode 2 Dreadnaughts and then I was toast. I will look to improve on that one for sure. ?

Regular Game Level 4 - 11,023

Bonus Game Level 7 - 2,950

DF(11023)S13FINAL.jpg.00891cf96c7e5da0c08a67976b946284.jpgDF(2950)L7S13.jpg.3e06b1f37919d150f991079b9d24e35d.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

My Dreadnaught Factor Update: Had my best game ever on level 4, but holy crow that bonus level is RIDICULOUS!!! I managed to explode 2 Dreadnaughts and then I was toast. I will look to improve on that one for sure. ?

Bonus Game Level 7 - 2,950

Those are great scores Rick!  That bonus level is just pure evil!

• Thanks 1

One thing I haven't figured out yet (only played maybe 3 or 4 practice rounds) is if you can defeat a dreadnaught without blowing up your ship. Instructions say if you bomb all the vents, you'll destroy it - but along with your ship. Is that just how it is? Or is there another way to take these down where you don't also die in the process?

7 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

One thing I haven't figured out yet (only played maybe 3 or 4 practice rounds) is if you can defeat a dreadnaught without blowing up your ship. Instructions say if you bomb all the vents, you'll destroy it - but along with your ship. Is that just how it is? Or is there another way to take these down where you don't also die in the process?

I think it's a necessary evil. That explosion is so chaotic there simply is no escape. These are kamikaze pilots for sure..... ?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Part of the game, but you get 2 additional fighters for each dreadnaught you destroy.  Just try not to die and load up on fighters...they will reward you with points when you beat the game!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Dreadnaught Factor Update: I managed to get to the 4th Dreadnaught in the bonus level game. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at me... Geez, those BIG rocket cannons are HORRIFYING!!!!! :-o:-o:-o

Bonus Game Level 7 - 4,073 - UPDATED

DF(11023)S13FINAL.jpg.036aa0a3f303c54859d37038c90efa99.jpgDF(4073)L7S13.jpg.5e0a68033a7d70bf9531ca4cd8b9b106.jpg

• Like 3

This is a fun game but kind of frustrating when you get shot out of nowhere. It's pretty sad how you still blow up after you take down a dreadnaught, haha. When I first played before reading the directions, I was just chugging along, shooting stuff, and then boom, Earth was destroyed. Makes more sense now that I read the instructions tho, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

This is a fun game but kind of frustrating when you get shot out of nowhere. It's pretty sad how you still blow up after you take down a dreadnaught, haha. When I first played before reading the directions, I was just chugging along, shooting stuff, and then boom, Earth was destroyed. Makes more sense now that I read the instructions tho, haha.

It's not Earth, it's Terra...... ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Haven't saved Terra yet, but I did take down 3 of these effers ?

Level 4: 5,315

74997106_TheDreadnaughtFactor2020-10-0616_08_54.thumb.png.7608d1d50f21048a94d810994b77cb40.png

Anyone know what the difference is when your score is red or yellow?

No diff, it just flickers red and then yellow at the end. 

Edited by Rickster8
  • Thanks 1

Really excited to dig into this game.  It sounded like a great game on the Intellivisionaries podcast when they covered it.  Until now, I've only had my original Intellivision II and the games I'd collected as a kid over about 10 years.

It's great having a Passable Flashback.  (It's not an Ultimate Flashback because it's just a naked Raspberry Pi that I built and quit working on once it started playing games.  ?

Need to read the rule book on this one.  Flew my very first mission with no clue what I was doing and managed 408 points.  LOL

Also played River Raid for the very first time.  Did better, but didn't realize those fuel depots were for me, so I was blasting away at them until my jet was bingo fuel.  Then I couldn't get enough fuel and that was the end of my river raiding.  Also learned the hard way that you have to stay over the river!

Love the diversity of the games.  Frog Bog is peaceful.  I can see going for the "end" of DF if I had had it as a kid.  Playing an Activision game would have been treasonous during the years of the 8-bit wars of the 80s.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Really excited to dig into this game.  It sounded like a great game on the Intellivisionaries podcast when they covered it.  Until now, I've only had my original Intellivision II and the games I'd collected as a kid over about 10 years.

It's great having a Passable Flashback.  (It's not an Ultimate Flashback because it's just a naked Raspberry Pi that I built and quit working on once it started playing games.  ?

Need to read the rule book on this one.  Flew my very first mission with no clue what I was doing and managed 408 points.  LOL

Also played River Raid for the very first time.  Did better, but didn't realize those fuel depots were for me, so I was blasting away at them until my jet was bingo fuel.  Then I couldn't get enough fuel and that was the end of my river raiding.  Also learned the hard way that you have to stay over the river!

Love the diversity of the games.  Frog Bog is peaceful.  I can see going for the "end" of DF if I had had it as a kid.  Playing an Activision game would have been treasonous during the years of the 8-bit wars of the 80s.

Enjoy this one! It’s a gem in the Intellivision library that many people haven’t played. It came out late in the life of the system, just before the crash of ‘83, so it never got the attention it deserved. Such a great, well-designed game that we are very fortunate to play today.

Can’t wait to see what you think of it once you get the hang of it. I would suggest starting at level 1, then work your way through 2 and 3 before trying level 4, that should help you. Level 7 is just nuts though, enter it at your own risk!! ?

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3