IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 13 - Dreadnaught Factor

57 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I've been playing the practice game for the last week, just to get nice and good before I post my first score. Muah ha ha. ?

...I'm not knocking any of you, but based on practice mode, this game seems like a push-over.

Lol, yeaaaah the key word there is 'seems'...... ?

Got two words for you. BIG CANNONS!!! ?

ENJOY!!!!

• Haha 2

Overall Total Points Update:

1. IntyFanMatt [+160]
2. Rickster8 [+157]
3. INTELLIVISION SPARTAN [+145]
4. BiffMan [+138]
5. JacobZu7zu7 [+98]
6. mr_me [+93]
7. Ace24 [+79]
8. Player One [+56]
9. hoosierdadee78 [+54]
9. fakecortex [+54]
11. Intelligentleman [+44]
12. gar0u [+34]
13. JasonlikesINTV [+19]
13. roadrunner [+19]
15. Mangia-boy [+13]
16. Popsicle [+12]
17. ed1475 [+11]
17. jblenkle [+11]
19. Jimmy KDawg [+7]
20. Oscar G. [+6]
21. S.BAZ [+4]
22. dpisacane [+3]
23. cmadruga [+1]
Edited by Rickster8
Re-stored scoring to how it was before
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Games Won Update:

6 IntyFanMatt - Shark! Shark! / Pac-man / Worm Whomper / Pitfall / Star Strike / Beauty & The Beast

4 BiffMan - Auto Racing / Utopia / Frog Bog x2

3 INTELLIVISION SPARTAN - Night Stalker / Pitfall / Tron Deadly Discs

3 Rickster8 - Space Armada / Auto Racing / Frog Bog

2 Mr_me - Star Strike / Bump 'N' Jump

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find my lack of ability on Dreadnaught Factor both frustrating and fascinating.  I'm pretty good at scrolling shooters normally (Mission X, River Raid, R-Type, Xevious, etc) but something about this game just has my number.  I probably die to one of the first cannons on a ship like 1/4 of the time which is just weird.  I know to serpentine my way through and not sit still, but something about the inertia of the ship gives me fits.  All too often, I'll seem to have a ship in hand, and one damn gun will get me when I'm changing direction and or I otherwise don't react quite quick enough and can't accelerate out of the way in time.  Hell, I just played for an hour trying to get through the first ship without dying.  ?

I've watched videos and I seem to be more or less playing the same, so I think it comes back to my overall strategy of "suck less" which I seem to be having difficulty making a reality.  ?

Anyway, mostly just venting, but really don't see how you guys are getting through with only losing a ship or 3 across all of level 4.  Hats off to you on that!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

I find my lack of ability on Dreadnaught Factor both frustrating and fascinating.  I'm pretty good at scrolling shooters normally (Mission X, River Raid, R-Type, Xevious, etc) but something about this game just has my number.  I probably die to one of the first cannons on a ship like 1/4 of the time which is just weird.  I know to serpentine my way through and not sit still, but something about the inertia of the ship gives me fits.  All too often, I'll seem to have a ship in hand, and one damn gun will get me when I'm changing direction and or I otherwise don't react quite quick enough and can't accelerate out of the way in time.  Hell, I just played for an hour trying to get through the first ship without dying.  ?

I've watched videos and I seem to be more or less playing the same, so I think it comes back to my overall strategy of "suck less" which I seem to be having difficulty making a reality.  ?

Anyway, mostly just venting, but really don't see how you guys are getting through with only losing a ship or 3 across all of level 4.  Hats off to you on that!

It is definitely a tough game if you don’t know where and when to weave your ship. It also helps to memorize where the guns are (I know that’s crazy), but it will take you to the next level of scores since you will be able to shoot them much sooner. Keep working at it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Biffman this is exactly how I feel with River Raid. I know it's only been a few days, but I am all thumbs in this type of game... Where everything has to be perfect and small margin for error. Same with Pitfall and Beauty & The Beast.... Just like you say you die easily on the first ship in DF I usually always die right around 7,000 in RR, it's like friggin clockwork.... I think River Raid is a decent game I just suck at it and I don't see myself getting much better in the next 11 days either.... I also played a little Dracula today and died in the 3rd night so I'm heading for some rough turf the next few weeks. That's okay as my goal for this season was 200 points and at 157 with 6 games to go I should be able to get there...... ?

In DF I actually got better throughout this contest, but I'm maxed out now. I haven't submitted a better score in a week. I've found it also matters what Dreadnaught pattern of ships you get. The first one is the Triangular one after that it's a crapshoot. My 11.689k game I got a very easy array of ships. Trust me that really helps. The Razor is the worst ship of all. When I see that one in the bonus game it's night night time for me..... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't yet been able to play this round but last time my issue was with the fifth ship.  That's when the guns turn and fire at angles.  My strategy doesn't work so well with the fifth ship.   The problem is I have to go through four ships to practice against this weapon.  I wish the weapons were consistent in each difficulty level, and each difficulty level having more advanced weapons.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I haven't yet been able to play this round but last time my issue was with the fifth ship.  That's when the guns turn and fire at angles.  My strategy doesn't work so well with the fifth ship.   The problem is I have to go through four ships to practice against this weapon.  I wish the weapons were consistent in each difficulty level, and each difficulty level having more advanced weapons.

That 5th is definitely tough, although being able to sucker the guns into turning to shoot at you does make them easier to shoot before they turn back. 

On the one run I finished, I got really lucky with the long skinny ship as the 5th. Not much chance for the guns to turn on you with that one! 

• Like 2

Dreadnaught Factor Quick Update: Updated thru post #120

Regular Game Level 4

11,859 - IntyFanMatt - [+2 Activision Patch Bonus for VICTORY] [+2 set new record]

11,689 - Rickster8 - [+2 Activision Patch Bonus for VICTORY] [+1 broke old record]

10,380 - mr_me - [+2 Activision Patch Bonus for VICTORY]

9,911 -  popsicle [+2 Activision Patch Bonus for VICTORY] 

8,371 -  jblenkle - [+2 Activision Patch Bonus for VICTORY]

7,813 -  Biffman - [+2 Activision Patch Bonus for VICTORY]

5,419 -  fakecortex

4,880 -  roadrunner

4,554 -  Intelligentleman

Bonus Game Level 7

8,995 - IntyFanMatt - [+2 set new record]

4,334 - Rickster8 

2,948 - popsicle

2,073 - Biffman

1,171 - fakecortex

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Nice, I gotta ask is there any significance to the cleverly arranged oranges in the picture? ?

LoL no. My son put them there and won’t let me take them back down to the kitchen. He’s attached to having them in his room right there. ?

Gotta pick your battles.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Might be too late, but this is from October 11.

Oct 11 okay its in! I was thinking of playing last min, but eh... a 6 min game doesn't seem too appealing :D

10 scores is a pretty good showing here, just missing me and SPARTAN for a 12 pack 'o night owls... its too bad he's not shown up, since I was sick :(

I hope it's just financial trouble, or something reversible ?

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 2

[GAME 13]

THE DREADNAUGHT FACTOR - FINAL RESULTS) WINNER: INTYFANMATT (New Record)

1. 11,859 IntyFanMatt +13 [+2 Activision Patch Bonus] [+2 set new record]

2. 11,689 Rickster8 +12 [+2 Activision Patch Bonus] [+1 broke old record]

3. 10,380 mr_me +11 [+2 Activision Patch Bonus]

-

4. 9,911 popsicle +9 [+2 Activision Patch Bonus] 

5. 8,371 jblenkle +8 [+2 Activision Patch Bonus]

6. 7,813 Biffman +7 [+2 Activision Patch Bonus]

7. 5,419 fakecortex +6

8. 4,880 roadrunner +5

9. 4,554 Intelligentleman +4

10. 2,111 gar0u +3

Bonus (GAME 7)

1. 8,995 IntyFanMatt +7 [+2 set new record]

2. 4,334 Rickster8 +6

3. 2,948 popsicle +5

4. 2,073 Biffman +4

5. 1,171 fakecortex +3

A shootastic showing for all 10 players here, and another win for IntyFanMatt with two new record scores!! Six players "broke" the Factor and picked up Activision patch scores. Some very above and BEYOND THE DREADNAUGHT high scoring ? Best showing overall for the game. ?

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Thanks 5

Games Won Update:

7 IntyFanMatt - Shark! Shark! / Pac-man / Worm Whomper / Pitfall / Star Strike / Beauty & The Beast / Dreadnaught Factor x2

3 BiffMan - Auto Racing / Utopia / Frog Bog x2

3 INTELLIVISION SPARTAN - Night Stalker / Pitfall / Tron Deadly Discs

3 Rickster8 - Space Armada / Auto Racing / Frog Bog 

2 Mr_me - Star Strike / Bump 'N' Jump

Edited by Rickster8
Fixed Scoring Errors
  • Thanks 2