Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Isaiah Austin

Sold: Sega Genesis Model 1 (Works, but Controller Ports Need Replaced)

Recommended Posts

@Isaiah Austin When selling on eBay you'd be better off pricing the console around 20% more that what you would sell it here, because if you deduct shipping, paypal fees, and ebay fees off the $40 you'd be lucky to make more than $10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the pic, I see pin 1 on the first controller port is bent. Happens to be responsible for the Up direction. Straighten the pin back with a small flat blade screwdriver or needle nose pliers and I bet it'll work again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, bluejay said:

@Isaiah Austin When selling on eBay you'd be better off pricing the console around 20% more that what you would sell it here, because if you deduct shipping, paypal fees, and ebay fees off the $40 you'd be lucky to make more than $10.

Okay, I'll price it at $50.00 (with free shipping) on eBay. :) I was aware of the fees (I've been selling stuff on eBay for months), but I thought that I could get it sold faster if it was slightly cheaper than a working one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, save2600 said:

Looking at the pic, I see pin 1 on the first controller port is bent. Happens to be responsible for the Up direction. Straighten the pin back with a small flat blade screwdriver or needle nose pliers and I bet it'll work again...

The one pin is completely gone. :( The picture makes it look like the one pin is still there, but it isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Isaiah Austin have you tried cutting a piece of paper clip and sticking it in there? You know, as a makeshift pin 1?

Edited by bluejay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Isaiah Austin said:

The one pin is completely gone. :( The picture makes it look like the one pin is still there, but it isn't.

Oh!  :rolling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluejay said:

@Isaiah Austin have you tried cutting a piece of paper clip and sticking it in there? You know, as a makeshift pin 1?

I just tried that, but it seems like there's a bit of plastic covering the pin hole. :?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Isaiah Austin said:

I just tried that, but it seems like there's a bit of plastic covering the pin hole. :?

From the picture you posted above I see a small hole that seems big enough to fit a needle. Try sticking a needle and widen the hole in the plastic, then when a paper clip is able to fit squeeze the clip inside the hole. If the contacts inside are still okay then the paper clip should be a suitable temporary replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Isaiah Austin said:

I just tried that, but it seems like there's a bit of plastic covering the pin hole. :?

Likely it is the remains of the original pin that is stuck in there but it was broken off to far back to actually make any contact with the controller plug itself when plugged into the console. Easy fix for those with a donor Genesis etc on hand to swap out the 9-pin port with.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...