IGNORED

Sold: Sega Genesis Model 1 (Works, but Controller Ports Need Replaced)

Isaiah Austin

On 10/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, bluejay said:

@Isaiah Austin When selling on eBay, you'd be better off pricing the console around 20% more that what you would sell it here. If you deduct shipping, Paypal fees, and eBay fees off the $40.00, you'd be lucky to make more than $10.00.

Okay, I'll price it at $50.00 (with free shipping) on eBay. :) I was aware of the fees (I've been selling stuff on eBay for over a year now), but I thought that I could get it sold faster if it was slightly cheaper than a working one.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:10 PM, save2600 said:

Looking at the pic, I see that Pin 1 on the first controller port is bent. Happens to be responsible for the "up" direction. Straighten the pin back with a small, flat-blade screwdriver or needle-nose pliers and I bet it'll work again...

The one pin is completely gone. :( The picture makes it look like the one pin is still there, but it isn't.

8 minutes ago, Isaiah Austin said:

I just tried that, but it seems like there's a bit of plastic covering the pin hole. :?

From the picture you posted above I see a small hole that seems big enough to fit a needle. Try sticking a needle and widen the hole in the plastic, then when a paper clip is able to fit squeeze the clip inside the hole. If the contacts inside are still okay then the paper clip should be a suitable temporary replacement.

11 minutes ago, Isaiah Austin said:

I just tried that, but it seems like there's a bit of plastic covering the pin hole. :?

Likely it is the remains of the original pin that is stuck in there but it was broken off to far back to actually make any contact with the controller plug itself when plugged into the console. Easy fix for those with a donor Genesis etc on hand to swap out the 9-pin port with.

• Like 2