IGNORED

What system does this Flight Stick go to?

I've posted this in the 3DO forum, but due to lack of traffic, I thought I'd try it here too. I can't seem to find much information on this 3DO flight stick I received in a stash. I haven't been able to properly test it yet, but it looks and feels great. I'm getting no response from any of the buttons or sticks though. Are only certain games compatible, or do I need to open it and check for continuity on the cord? Is this even a Flight Stick for the 3DO? There seems to be a PC version of this stick available also. This one's cord only has one hookup (that fits the 3DO console), but not the 15 pin connector hookup like I see for the PC version of this stick. I've read that the 3DO version of this has 2 connectors, which this does not -  "I will warn you to be sure you are purchasing a flightstick meant for the 3DO console and not for PC. 3DO did make a flightstick for home computers that looks exactly like the one for the console, even down to the 3DO logo. The correct flightstick has hookups for both".  It really appears unused, brand new.  A prototype perhaps? Product Number FSP863DO. A search for this item, with the same Product Number, turns up the same stick but with 2 connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flightstick-Pro-By-CH-Products-For-3DO-Consoles/363123005481?hash=item548bd15829:g:y24AAOSwz2pfciVR

My stick is pictured below:

DSC01011.JPG

Edited by livingonwheels

CH products Flightstick Pro.

It works with

Super Wing Commander
Wing Commander III
VR Stalker
Need for Speed
Shockwave
Shockwave 2
Return Fire
PO'ed
Flying Nightmare
Doom

May also work with some Jp games as well. Other games released west some buttons do things some don't, or doesn't work at all. You can experiment on play ability but the ones I listed are among the most compatible from what I've seen.

Is is now a prototype it was official third-party controller release btw.

Yes, very unusual. Of the games you listed, only Wing Commander III and Return Fire worked flawlessly with the Stick. Most had no reaction at all. Need for Speed, I was unable to actually press the gas to begin moving. Was able to navigate menus, change my view, but that's about it. Return Fire was quite handy because you could actually test each button and calibrate the Stick. All the others, such as Doom, there was nothing. Every single button had no effect.

It also depends on what 3DO model you are using. Some games that do nothing one button will work on Goldstar. Mad Dogg work on Gold Star not standard panasonic but can only move no shoot.

Only handful of games use full controller.

But then there are two type of goldstar 2. Seems that stick was programmed a specific way so it only works based on specific game programming or what SKU you use it on. It's not the best option. All Black flight stick seems to have better compatibility for some reason.

Edited by ColecoKing

Wow, that is one of the most insane things I ever heard! How the heck did this stick even pass testing and get released? Unbelievable!

Thanks for all that information. I'll mainly use it as a display piece or an odd curiosity at this point. I have 3 FZ-1's and one FZ-10 and think I'll stick with the standard controller. Well, not really the standard controller that comes with the console, for I recently bought a  Nakitek Controller for the 3DO because it has rapid fire options for all the buttons and the triggers (you can either press a button for rapid fire or just have the button be permanently pressed for you). I'm getting too old to keep pressing buttons...

Edited by livingonwheels

It probably was test with handful of games for one model. It's Ch products they were basically madcatz back in the day.

Standard controller is best outside curiosity, or the other controller you brought. Flight stick pro just marketing piece honestly not that good even on games were it mostly works.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not completely sidetracking the OP. I was going to start a thread about flight sticks in general and ask what systems and retro games people suggest to use them on.  If you aren't playing complicated flight simulators, do you still like a classic Thrustmaster or Sidewinder for examples that have USB on emulators or MiSTer to play much simpler games like Space Harrier or After Burner? Maybe all the extra unused buttons are still exciting aesthetically to make you feel you are really in a cockpit? I have several such joysticks in the game closet and wondered if they would be fun for anything retro.