IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2020 thread

CaptainBreakout

On 10/7/2020 at 5:36 PM, adamchevy said:

I’m a little surprised at how relatively few Atariage members sign up to participate in the Secret Santa here on Atariage. I’m pretty sure their are thousands of Atariage members.

I don't know how to get this thread found easily, but also keep the awesome quality of the participants high at the same time (which they are).

For a long time, I worked for the best quality florist in the California Bay Area. They/we didn't advertise or anything... "you have to find us." (did hundreds of events for big names and average joes- we were the "in-the-know" top tier)

Currently, I work for the best little organic bargain grocery store in the region where I live.  Same principle/demographic as the florist, we don't advertise... "you have to find us."

I suppose that works... since this is an intimate group of quality enthusiasts. If you are here, you are lucky, and you deserve it. Yay.

If anyone knows how to get the word out to more quality participants (without bringing in Grinches), I'm sure chicgamer and I are all ears.

Edited by CaptainBreakout
Actually, sending personal invite messages to members you know and trust might work well.
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I don't know how to get this thread found easily, but also keep the awesome quality of the participants high at the same time (which they are).

I don't believe I have seen more than 25-30 people do this in the 5-6 years I have been in on Secret Santa. I noticed golden.axe used to get 70+ people looking back on old threads.

I just add it to my status update every so often and hope we get another addition. :)

Like you said though - quantity doesn't equal quality. ;)

• Like 4

For a long time, I worked for the best quality florist in the California Bay Area. They/we didn't advertise or anything... "you have to find us." (did hundreds of events for big names and average joes- we were the "in-the-know" top tier)

Currently, I work for the best little organic bargain grocery store in the region where I live.  Same principle/demographic as the florist, we don't advertise... "you have to find us."

I suppose that works... since this is an intimate group of quality enthusiasts. If you are here, you are lucky, and you deserve it. Yay.

If anyone knows how to get the word out to more quality participants (without bringing in Grinches), I'm sure chicgamer and I are all ears.

I remember a similar store in Bedford Nova Scotia called Pete’s Boutique. It had fresh fruit from around the world that you couldn’t find anywhere else. And a wall of chocolates from around the world. It was an amazing place that you either stumbled upon by accident or someone told you about.

I like the idea of a quality intimate group. It was just an odd thought to me that it was a smaller group in comparison to the amount of Atariage members.

I’m sure the Atariage members that frequent the forums are aware of it if it’s been going on for more than 5 years.

This is my 3rd year and I’m glad I stumbled upon it when I did!

• Like 4

I suppose I should also admit at this point I'm only a third year too. But, you know, the santa force is strong in this one. (Apparently with chicgamer too).

I’ll see you and Chicgamer at Hogsmeade this year for some Christmas festivities now that we are all third years. Just remember to get your permission slips signed.

3b1452def86bb6480eb648d82ab2f00a.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far! We're down to eight days before we close sign-ups and start assigning Secret Santas!

Here's some '80s Christmas nostalgia for you (at least, nostalgic for those of us who grew up in the '80s in a particular region of the US).

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Wow... That's pretty amazing. What codec does the Jaguar use? Is this a cd you made?

That's a custom player, not a real codec :)  The 'official' codec for the Jaguar is a mangled Cinepak format.

The Snowman is a 16mb ROM for the Jaguar GD cart - https://www.reboot-games.com/rebootnews/the-snowman/

I've also done Bad Apple (because who hasn't?) - https://www.reboot-games.com/rebootnews/bad-apple/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in !!!
I think this might be my 5th year participating in the Atariage Secret Santa. The wife and I really look forward to it every year. I try not to spend to much, less then $40. And I always give something from my game collection. I hope I get lucky again and get someone with the same gaming taste as me. That’s easy, I have games for quite a few different consoles.  If not I have a couple mom&pop game stores I like to support?

• Like 6