IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2020 thread

CaptainBreakout

Merry Christmas...

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

I hope you enjoy.

Originally I wanted to edit in a bunch of 1984/1985 commercials, but I thought it would be best to post the special straight since it's pretty amazing. (Well, I like it anyway)

So here's the original Rankin/Bass special, from the original novel written by none other then L. Frank Baum. 

Edited by CaptainBreakout
It's been almost 12 hours and YouTube seems to be fine with hosting it. There was already a version there, but it was rather low quality.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Merry Christmas...

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

I hope you enjoy.

Originally I wanted to edit in a bunch of 1984/1985 commercials, but I thought it would be best to post the special straight since it's pretty amazing. (Well, I like it anyway)

So here's the original Rankin/Bass special, from the original novel written by none other then L. Frank Baum. 

It's gone now (damn it), but I love that weird show.  It's...not a traditional Xmas film, that's for sure!  I have a copy laying around somewhere.  Probably the most Pagan (in ways) Xmas story ever aired on regular TV.  It's always difficult to decide where on the love / hate scale to go with Rankin/Bass.  Mostly, as one blog wrote, you love most of it but hate on the one most annoying "comic relief" character who ruins each film.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

It's gone now (damn it), but I love that weird show.  It's...not a traditional Xmas film, that's for sure!  I have a copy laying around somewhere.  Probably the most Pagan (in ways) Xmas story ever aired on regular TV.  It's always difficult to decide where on the love / hate scale to go with Rankin/Bass.  Mostly, as one blog wrote, you love most of it but hate on the one most annoying "comic relief" character who ruins each film.  

Yeah, I agree. I almost used Pagan to describe it myself. 

And yeah, Rankin/Bass specials are a mixed but mostly beloved bag.  Characters have a tendency to break into song.  Sometimes it works seamlessly (ie. Rudolph)... Here it's a bit awkward.  ...Maybe that's why they call the main guy "The Great Awk".

I'm looking at it from an adult perspective now tho. I do remember seeing this when I was about six and thinking the song was mind-blowing awesomeness.  I think I rewound the tape and watched the opening musical sequence about five times in one sitting.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, CaptainBreakout said:

I'm looking at it from an adult perspective now tho. I do remember seeing this when I was about six and thinking the song was mind-blowing awesomeness.  I think I rewound the tape and watched the opening musical sequence about five times in one sitting.

Sounds like me & Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas (my perennial favorite!) As a kid we'd skip the 'Joy to the World' segment & put the California Raisins on repeat. Now, 'Joy to the World' is one of my favorite parts- guess it just took time for me to appreciate the visuals. (And to catch all the puns leading into 'The Carol of the Bells').

• Like 2

Thinking of Christmas themed games, I realized a small game I did a few years ago is still available for download (PC/Mac) here: https://adsumsoft.itch.io/secret-santa-its-a-stealthy-xmas (on the other hand, the mobile versions were pulled out of Google Play and the Appstore because I did not update them to officially support the latest 64 bit architectures). Note that the download link will ask to name a small price first, but don't worry about it and just download it :) 

Cheers!

Ao54UY.png

• Like 6

Shipped this morning-

I've been on pins and needles to "get it done", so worried, but according to tracking it'll be there in a few days, lol.

Wouldn't bother me for my recipient to go ahead and enjoy the "stuff" thru the Holidays, kinda an early "Micro Christmas".

:)

Happy Holidays, Everyone, Stay Safe!!!

• Like 5

*deep breath* Ok... so- I'm the only person in my household not working today. Last one out yells to me there's a box on the porch. "Ah", I think, "my Desert Bus pins are here" (since I got an Out For Delivery email.) I go to get the box- much too big for pins. Must be something for my sister. Hey, that's an AtariAge sticker. WAIT- THIS IS MY SECRET SANTA BOX?!

I am absolutely STUPIFIED as to what's in here- the box is over 2 feet tall! I'm going to be good and try to not open it right away... but there's no where to hide this, so I guarantee the next time my niece is around she will convince me to open it. Just consider this an early 'thank you' to my Santa for the surpise/shock!

20201120_094600.jpg

• Like 12