IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2020 thread

CaptainBreakout

It’s actually been incredibly mild for the past two months, with daytime highs hovering around the freezing mark, or even above. We even had the tail end of a thunderstorm last night, which ripped shingles off the neighbours’ house and right into the window, which got all scratched up. Punched a small hole in some vinyl stripping, too. Shingles!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been away for a while and I realized I never did my reveal, so in case he was still wondering...

On 12/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, frankodragon said:

I must of been good this year so thanks so much AA Secret Santa!  

You're welcome!  Hope you enjoyed (and still are)!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So when should we kick off Secret Santa 2021 this year? Should we do early October again (only a couple of months away!), or should we start a little later?

Also, I think CaptainBreakout and I can team up on this again this year, if that works for everyone.

• Like 7

Starting early was fun. It doesn't seem as necessary this year since I believe most of the shipping problems seem to improved.

Anyone want to weigh in?  I'm fine with starting early- having cheer in the atmosphere for longer seems like a good thing. Deadlines don't need to be quite as early.

• Like 4

I like the idea of announcing it earlier... BUT I don't think putting it on the front page would work out... I think that would increase our visibility to opportunistic freeloaders.

I think keeping it subtle in the forums seems to work out well for the "in the know" long time AA members and/or true enthusiasts.  Seems to have worked out well so far.

• Like 5

(Tosses hat into ring)  I'll participate again this year.  I think the time line started a little early last year but for overseas shipments.  Shipping seems to be a little better now.  I have been getting more reliable shipments at work for the past 5 or 6 months so hopefully that will continue.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

Well I have a ton of stuff all ready to go. ?

I can also volunteer for a Rescue Reindeer though I hope we don't need it this year.

Groovy!  And, yes I agree.

I believe chicgamer and I are planning on hosting again.  We are starting to talk about it again.  It's looking like that seems to be fine with everyone.  ?

• Like 6

I'm already getting excited! I'm so glad to see so many people who made this a success last year showing interest in participating again this year!

So, maybe we start making some announcements via status updates leading to opening up Secret Santa 2021 in early October?

I think everyone will probably have to make their best estimate on shipping times. In my mind, it doesn't hurt if items arrive early, though not opening presents early when you receive them isn't easy. ?

Hopefully, we won't need Rescue Reindeer this year. We only had one person who didn't follow through last year (and I don't think that person has been on AtariAge since).

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of mail, I just heard on radio about stories regarding mail delays. Someone had sent a Christmas card and the recipient called to thank him but said it had been enough if you sent me one Christmas greeting, not two. This made the sender curious and begun investigating. It turned out the post office had misplaced an entire sack of Christmas post one year, and found it in the warehouse the next year when they determined to deliver it...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

Speaking of mail, I just heard on radio about stories regarding mail delays. Someone had sent a Christmas card and the recipient called to thank him but said it had been enough if you sent me one Christmas greeting, not two. This made the sender curious and begun investigating. It turned out the post office had misplaced an entire sack of Christmas post one year, and found it in the warehouse the next year when they determined to deliver it...

Good. Then there’s still hope my outgoing package will arrive eventually….

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

I mean the big question is did @Dr Moocowz track down a Jaguar and play Rebooteroids? :D

I still haven't. They're $300-$400 USD currently (basically the same as buying a new, modern system) and read they likely need to have work done to get new capacitors and that kind of thing (not a skill I have). Just haven't built up my wallet enough to pull the trigger to make all that happen to play that cartridge that taunts me as it sits on the shelf ?

• Like 3