IGNORED

MDCMC - Mono Double Chaos Music Composer

matosimi

25 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I'm not sure what 2 tone mode is, care to give some details why it doesn't work in the original thread (we've totally hijacked this thread)? 

No problem.

Honestly I'm still quite not over the fact that my mdcmc is the same as dmc, it took me couple of hours to analyze the sources and code the mod.

... So no problem with the hijacking, really

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ivop said:

Two-tone mode is enabled through SKCTL ($d20f) which is not recorded by SAP-R. It only records writes to $d200-$d208, i.e. all the AUDF and AUDC registers and AUDCTL.

Ah, just a matter of adding a register to the dump then...not really a flaw in LZS, I seem to vaguely remember this topic being discussed already ? memory totally failing... 

Oh yeah it looks like I went into infinite loop: 

28 minutes ago, ivop said:

Yes, we have :D

Sorry Matosimi!

• Haha 1

i feel sorry but that 70s scanline usage catched my attention... as to be honest not using RMT anymore in my A8 most of the time as its good because of the Win editor but the features used by our Desire musicians tend to spend a lot cpu time... (sid voice etc) and they use 8 channels ;).

so Miker often composes tunes (ok.... because RMT doesnt support Digi channels) in MPT... as MPT normally has a less cycle footprint per frame...

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Somewhat resetting the poly counters in RMT is done by playing the highest frequency possible for a frame and then go back to your desired note. That works with SAP-R/LZS player.

It is possible to give the "Orbit some direction" . But I don't see how a "generally random" produced wave could be re used in a stable way.

My solution for the basses is , not to go to high, using the polycounter sounds. 

And there is the possibility of an "approximation" of the resulting sounds. 

If you play a "highest pitch", you get the chance that the resulting tone is always a bit "peaky" . So it will always sound "close" enough, to build an instrument. 

The "soft" Orbit can be there 99 times, but one time it will also get "peaky". It's random, and random numbers never will get 100% handled. 

What can be reached by resetting POKEY is the wave start on all channels, which includes the positive and negative additions between the channels. 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

But I don't see how a "generally random" produced wave could be re used in a stable way.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

It's random, and random numbers never will get 100% handled.

@pavros proved you're wrong. Read his paper on how to stabilize C distortion.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/294612-pokeys-c-distortion-explained/

It's in the zip-file.

Edited by ivop

4 minutes ago, emkay said:

1. The higher basses sound off

2. the soft orbit isn't there.

That's not what I disputed. Indeed, the higher basses are out of tune and the soft "orbit" cannot get that high anyway.

What pavros proved was that you can stabalize which Timbre you get for the "soft" orbit. It can take some time (hundreds or even thousands of cycles, depending on the channel) to get the poly counter in a known state and then restart it at a known specific point in time.

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, miker said:

The most interesting thing is that it uses "wrong" freq table, which is reserved mainly for pure sounds in CMC. :)

What do you mean by "wrong"?

Do you mean "not well-tempered"?

It can be beneficial to use just tuning if a tune sticks to one key (most tunes are in one key). Especially with Pokey, which is always off by some cents.

Edited by ivop

"Wrong" as CMC has two tables dedicated to bass: C3 (8-bit instrument) and C7 (16-bit instrument) but I don't say it's not in tune, just very interesting Greg's experiment (so why I wote "wrong" instead of just wrong). Moreover as CMC has freq tables linked permanent to instruments, no experiments are possible with them, thats all. :) 

• Thanks 1