IGNORED

It's on the Internet, So it Must be True..

gilsaluki

26 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I'm not going to judge. My recent Googling: "when did Val Kilmer get fat?"; "Barry Goldwater"; "Change In Heat Iowa City"; "CTV Covid Tracker". 

I think my last Google search was 'amibios diags.exe' but then I normally  use Duck Duck go, and all I was finding were sites in Chinese.

Even 5 years ago wasn't bad either. Back then I bought a like new complete 600XL system with the large matching XL cream color PSU for $35, and a box of 5 working 800XLs without PSUs for $100 off of eBay. It seems like over the last 3 years prices have been surging.

15 minutes ago, scitari said:

I used to get boxes of Atari stuff for $10-$20 each in the early 2000s

Was probably around then I got a second 130XE for about £35 fully working with a Happy drive, also got a 1040 STE for less than £50

again fully working.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Was probably around then I got a second 130XE for about £35 fully working with a Happy drive, also got a 1040 STE for less than £50

again fully working.

yep, I got an 800xl, two 1050's 300 discs, about 20 original discs a load of cables, a printer and a massive file of instructions for £20. The seller also gave me a 520 STe when I collected the other stuff.
Boxed 400 for £30
Boxed 7800 with a load of games (including Ballblazer) £15
New in box Jaguar £35..........................

they were the days 

To be fair, it also does say that that's a post from October 2005, a point at which the world economy was powering away upwards, everyone was buying brand new tech at a rate of knots, and old stuff was being chucked because retro wasn't cool. Everyone had new cars, CRTs were being scrapped in their millions for LCD (yuck), people had new phones, satnavs, MP3 players, surround sound setups, and old tech was almost distasteful.

Around that time I bought a mint, boxed Amiga 1200 with loads of original games, Zipsticks and other accessories, for €70 including shipping (which wasn't cheap on a big box like that). I was also given various Amiga and Atari machines around then that would otherwise have gone to landfill, perfectly working.

Like most information on the internet, it is what it is, and it's down to the reader to determine if it's current, valid and useful.

As with everything Internet you have to remember that old posts are a snapshot of what that person saw and not what we all saw, location, luck and timing / dedication decided how it worked out for all.

I can't moan, I've had 2 large free donations of hardware in the last 10 - 15 yrs, one from my passed mate Bob, loads of Amiga stuff that belonged to his brother and one from my mate Tony whose mate had his gear in storage but could not afford it any more so I has given mucho Atari, snes, and monitors.

Was never so lucky with boot sales, saw a nice setup of C64 stuff but the guy wanted a small fortune for it (and didn't know if it worked). However I had a blinder of a deal when I brought a C64 via gumtree (I think) many years ago, the advert said it came with some tapes, when I got there to pick it up the guy says "you have a car?", "yep" I said and he points to a MASSIVE pile of boxes...Over 300 tapes (real tapes), all pristine.

Sad end though, when I lost my house and wanted to sell them, no one wanted them, tried to give them away, again no one wanted them and I had no place to take them and no car, they went in the bin..Now, I'd be quids in but wasn't meant to be.

Purchasing an Atari was dead cheap in the years that it was embarassing to own an Atari as it didn't have a processor in the 100's of megahertz.

Now we all love it because it doesn't.

I also remember buying a load of cassette tapes for 10p each from TWAUG only to later be given a whole box of them for free as they needed space in the back of their van (and were extremely drunk). That was 1996. A time when people were embarassed with an Atari. Not me, I loved the little blighter.