IGNORED

How about an Atarage Atari group virtual monthly meetings

hloberg

OK, I tested Google Group Meeting with some folks and I'm looking to use it for our local Maker's and Electronics meetings here in Central Tx (if you are in the area DM me for details to join). the nice thing about Google Meeting is it's FREE for extended hours for lots of people. Zoom maxs out at 40 mins. on it's free (yes, I'm cheap).

ANYWAY, how would an Atariage MONTHLY Atari Google meeting be with everyone? Say it starts about 11am on a Saturday so Europeans and Americans can both attend (sorry to any Australians). What Saturday would be good to not conflict with all the other meetings that you all might be attending?

Also, does everyone want to limit it to just the Atari 8-bit or open it up to all Atari? Plus, any other thoughts about such a meeting you might have. Comment below.

thx, HLO

• Like 4

i'll send a password in DM to all that suggested they might be interested as soon as we agree on a date.  October 24th at 11am CST sound good? will it work for those not in the US?

by the way, after I send the password PLEASE don't post it. the TI group had some weirdos crash the meeting when they posted the password public. 

19 hours ago, R0ger said:

We have discord for ages. There is 39 people there and like 1 message per week. In other words, nothing much.

It would be good place to start though. Good for getting people know, seeing who's online, and it can do meetings by itself.

Invite link: https://discord.gg/kajzZjn

I'll check into it, thanks.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:34 PM, bfollowell said:

I'd love it!

I never lived in an area large enough to have an Atari group. I'd join in whenever I could.

I found out last year that in the 80s there was an active Atari users group, a couple of Atari BBS’ 30 minutes from home :( 

Also, I’m interested in joining in the October convo 

Edited by 777ismyname

I guess that could've been true for some places I lived as well. Definitely not my tiny country home town, but when I went to college, maybe. The college town, and the really large town 20 miles to the north. Who knows? Back then, in the mid to late-eighties, it was just luck and word of mouth when you heard about these sometimes. We certainly didn't have forums and the Internet like we do today to spread and gather information.

I won't be busy next weekend after all. So I think I'm going to kick off a test meeting on October 17th @ 11am CDT. password will be sent tomorrow afternoon (my time) to all on list and join in if you want. it'll just be a test since this will be the 1st time I used Google Meetings on a large scale but if the discussion gets going we can just go on. I'll still plan to make official start the 24th. then we'll just pick a recurring weekend that we can meet.

I don't have a webcam on my desktop, so I'll probably be joining by iPad or iPhone. Is Google Meet for iOS the same as Google Meetings? I don't see a Google Meetings app. I just wanted to make certain they were the same thing or find out if that was maybe a typo.

I'm not supposed to work this weekend, but then, I wasn't supposed to work yesterday either, but COVID issues forced me in to cover for a major electrical substation outage at my plant. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend next weekend.

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I don't have a webcam on my desktop, so I'll probably be joining by iPad or iPhone. Is Google Meet for iOS the same as Google Meetings? I don't see a Google Meetings app. I just wanted to make certain they were the same thing or find out if that was maybe a typo.

I'm not supposed to work this weekend, but then, I wasn't supposed to work yesterday either, but COVID issues forced me in to cover for a major electrical substation outage at my plant. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend next weekend.

same thing, I just used short hand.

I have DM'ed everyone who has requested to participate the logon.

please don't post this information openly, we did that on the TI-99 meeting a got crashed with a bunch of weirdos.

might want to test just logging in before to see if the links work.

HLO

On 10/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, bfollowell said:

I'd love it!

I never lived in an area large enough to have an Atari group. I'd join in whenever I could.

I grew up in a very large Atlanta, Ga. I had both a TI-99 and 800xl. I found the local TI-99 group but oddly never found an Atari group. So this is my 1st too.

We had a very active Atari users group, here in the Milwaukee area, back in the 80's. MilAtari

When I joined there were about 300 members.

The club eventually converted into a general computer users club

We still meet and have about 5 to 10 people at meetings.  This year we've been meeting virtually for most of this pandemic.

• Like 1