IGNORED

800XL UAV Mishap...OK, I did something Stupid

NxtOp

If someone successfully installed the Rev. D UAV in an 800XL and then were Stupid enough to accidently insert the board into the chip socket while their 800XL was powered on, what damage if any would you expect from that stupidity?  

I had a good, working install of the UAV as best I could tell...though I was investigating some slight ghosting in the display.  I was trying to confirm if I had the Luma and the composite video reversed (I had only done basic boot-up display to the Ready prompt and the initial U1M boot screen, no games or fancy displays).  That's when I managed to forget I was powered on and inserted the UAV into the chip socket.  Now, I can only get black-and-white output or a over-driven signal that has color halos on the white lettering/borders (if that makes any sense).  I added the U1M mod to this machine after installing the UAV--- and for clarity, both were working prior to my oops.

I've already ordered a couple additional UAV's, but they haven't arrived yet to allow me to do any cross-testing with this or a 2nd un-modded machine I have.  I'm just driving myself nuts guessing at this point.

Can I get some help?  Anyone?  I'm reading through the 46-Page Nightmare Thread known as the UAV Rev. D discussions trying to find the magic needle in that chaotic haystack that might guide me, but I'm only up to Page 28 so far and no real insight or solution (And I mean REALLY reading).  Please don't think I'm deriding the UAV...I'm impressed with what everyone has said/shown so far on its capability and anxiously looking forward to installing it on 3-6 more Atari 8-bits I have.  But I'm dead in the water right now.

Please help if you can.

The things is, I don't know if anyone knows if you've damaged the UAV or not; we'd have to risk our own systems by basically duplicating what you did by accident. My gut feeling is that absent the possibility of a static discharge (which IS possible), merely inserting it to a power-up system shouldn't make any difference - it's only a trace amount of 5V DC current; the same thing happens when you power the system on - there's a sudden inrush of 5 volts to the UAV. But that said, static is always a risk.

In the meantime, more information always helps. How are you wiring the COL input and the composite/luma/chroma outputs to the UAV, via a terminal block or direct solder? DO you have photos of your work so people can see if there's some incidental damage you missed?

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

In the meantime, more information always helps. How are you wiring the COL input and the composite/luma/chroma outputs to the UAV, via a terminal block or direct solder? DO you have photos of your work so people can see if there's some incidental damage you missed?

Thanks Dr. Venkman and Sugarland...

So, Here's a photo of the install attached (I bent the wires for the photo to try to make it more clear where they connect)

I wired: 

L7 to Comp video 

L9 to Luma

L7 & L9 beads are clipped at the rear-end of the board facing connection and bent upwards for no contact

R45 to Color In

R66 (bank) to Ground 

J2 DIN Pin 5 to Chroma

You can also see in the pic a Black wire pigtail soldered to the ground plane from under the RF modulator (removed) that I tried as an alternate to the ground-side of the resistors at R66---- to no affect.

I have tried driving video with my 8-Bit Classics cable through both Composite and S-Video to 2 different upscalers converting to HDMI for my Scepter 27" LED monitor and another composite-only upscaler to HDMI... no differences across the various attempts.  Upscalers are a RetroTink 2xPro, a Tendak Video converter, and a generic AV2HDMI (amazon/chinese, 3" square black unit---I'm sure you've seen these for like $13).

And my additional UAV's haven't arrived yet for additional tests  

OMG!!!!!!!!!   I just figured out I've been reading through the thread "New video upgrade coming soon!" that catalogs the trials and tribulations from UAV early Rev. through development of the Rev.D!   NOT THE THREAD OPEN IN ANOTHER CHROME TAB "The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread"!!!!   I'm on page 29 as I discover this (FACE-PALM!).  Now to start over at the beginning of the 46-Page Thread!  That's what I get for having too many tabs open!

In the pics below, the screen image with no color blooms is sourced from the S-Video, and the Composite is showing the color 'blooms' at the edge of lighted pixels (I hope that makes sense):

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2222.JPG

Edited by NxtOp

Since you’ve been looking at the earlier thread (the one started by Bryan that led to the earlier Revision C UAV), make sure you’ve got your jumpers set in accordance with the UAV Revision D, since those changed with the board redesign. 

8 hours ago, NxtOp said:

In the pics below, the screen image with no color blooms is sourced from the S-Video, and the Composite is showing the color 'blooms' at the edge of lighted pixels (I hope that makes sense)

Those images are actually pretty indicative of the usual differences between S-Video and Composite, depending on your display,  cable, and the image being shown, especially if you’re going through a scaler rather than a direct input. Try loading some programs that use color and look at the comparisons that way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Since you’ve been looking at the earlier thread (the one started by Bryan that led to the earlier Revision C UAV), make sure you’ve got your jumpers set in accordance with the UAV Revision D, since those changed with the board redesign. 

Those images are actually pretty indicative of the usual differences between S-Video and Composite, depending on your display,  cable, and the image being shown, especially if you’re going through a scaler rather than a direct input. Try loading some programs that use color and look at the comparisons that way. 

I'm definitely on the Rev. D jumpers.  I have the install instructions from The Brewing Academy that came with the card and the docs are very clear on those.  What I wish someone would revise is the wiring photos to help validate clearly for new installers as the ones that exist are not that great - same color wires or pealed-off ribbon cables of non-distinct colors were horrible to interpret against my work.  I believe the docs even mis-label the L9 vs. L7 in its illustration--- that does not help first-time UAV installers get it right.  I wasted a bunch of time searching for more validation of my work in the threads because those photos lacked distinct clarity. 

My initial output of color screens but not perfect screens led me to follow some of the posts suggesting that Luma and Composite might be reversed and caused my experimentation.  That's when I committed my accidental powered-on plug-in.  Since then I haven't gotten any real color screens.

I may be making a big mis-interpretation at this stage though since I don't know how to work with the machine with the U1M installed.  So, off to the learning/testing with the U1M and trying games and such to perform better testing!  Like you suggest--- try loading some programs that use color and get more comparisons. 

4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I don't have this mod and I would presume the answer is yes but is there meant to be a short across the three resistors to the right of the board.

Yes, those resistors are all connected to the same ground plane (visible if you could examine it closely...not sure if its discernible in my picture).  It's the same ground plane as underneath the RF modulator and the 5-pin DIN video out.