IGNORED

Pitfalls of Colonizing Play

harmonyFM

14 minutes ago, Roget said:

If I inspire someone to take a stand for something they believe in, I would consider it among the greatest honors of my life.

Not everyone believes in things that will help us as a society.

I can think of a LOT of things (that I'm too lazy to type) that I know I would certainly not be honored to discover I inspired.

Like when I made reference to the old world belief that the white man was chosen by god and therefor had the right to take whatever they wanted from other races of people and cultures/religions/etc.

If THAT inspired someone to say "Yeah! Remember when that's how things were? We should go back to those beliefs" and then this fool actually started an organization to do just that, and referenced me as his inspiration (Not that I'd be cool if he didn't, I just mean without the reference how would I know I was his catalyst?), whether they succeeded or not, I would DEFINITELY regret the day I typed that comment.

14 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

The you should be more careful. Humanity has a tendency of destroying media we consider bad influences.  If what we read, watch, & play has an influence on our actions, your essay could influence someone to take a stand against Pitfall, Indiana Jones, etc.

I doubt Pitfallgate would make much of an impact. Gamers aren’t susceptible, as recent events have shown, to all these recent Critical Theory fads that have become all the rage from recent college institutions.

Gamers are interested in playing great games, getting high scores, and finishing games fast. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

So you admit then, that this is not merely an attempt to examine Pitfall, but is in fact an attempt to cancel it?

No? I love Pitfall, I own two copies. I don’t think anything I wrote would make someone who would’ve otherwise been interested not play. If anything, if they’re invested enough to read almost 3,000 words on it maybe they’d be able to enjoy the game and learn a little about the culture it was created in.

I think the author should have celebrated the colonials' abilities to leap atop crocodiles.

Pitfall Harry is obviously not the modern "limp-wristed" western male, but obviously a man able to overcome his fears and tame a savage environment long devoid of human life.

He exemplifies the "can-do" attitude to take on areas of the world where humanity has long since vanished. These former primitive societies were incapable of surviving, but Pitfall Harry is a man capable of finding the lost treasures of the past, overcoming incalculable dangers of a forgotten jungle.

The resources around us are here for a reason. EXPLOIT them! And replant when necessary.

And if someone left some treasures buried beneath the earth, then by golly, dig them up!

No trees were cut down to post this message.

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How would someone make a critical celebration of the Western Worlds colonial legacy in 4K?

Not only is Pitfall! itself an uncritical celebration of the Western world’s colonial legacy, but the game itself has left the platforming genre and gaming as a whole in the habit of empowering the colonizer and demonizing the colonized. Sometimes metaphorically, and oftentimes literally. 

Edited by CapitanClassic