IGNORED

Houston Arcade Expo 2020, CANCELLED

SpiceWare

5 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Why not have everyone wear a mask?
I've been to Target, Walmart etc...
Everyone's wearing a mask, i felt safe.

And how long are you in a Target or Walmart versus something like an arcade expo?  Also, how much are you touching with your hands when you're in the store?  How close in proximity are you to other people?  I don't feel this is comparable to an arcade expo at all.

A show like this is filled with pinball machines and arcade games, all of which you need to touch in order to play.  And not just briefly, you're often playing the same machines for minutes at a time.  No way the machines would be wiped down after each play.  Also, machines are usually packed together pretty tightly, so they'd hopefully be spaced out, greatly reducing the capacity of the show.  These shows also tend to be well-attended, so lots of people in an indoor enclosed space, many of whom will spend hours walking around the event (not just sitting in one spot), passing by others who are playing games, socializing with others, touching machines who knows how many other people have already touched, and so forth.  It's just not safe, even with masks.

No thanks.

..Al

A better comparison is taking a long train or bus ride (or airplane) where you sit fairly close to strangers for hours.

Besides, I don't know about the US, but perhaps you have legal limitations on size of crowds? In many countries you're not allowed to meet more than 50, 30, 10, 5 people at the same spot which would make it more or less illegal to host a retro gaming event right now, even if the participants are willing to take the health risks involved.

9 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Besides, I don't know about the US, but perhaps you have legal limitations on size of crowds? In many countries you're not allowed to meet more than 50, 30, 10, 5 people at the same spot which would make it more or less illegal to host a retro gaming event right now, even if the participants are willing to take the health risks involved.

Well, yes, there are restrictions, but they are different in each state, and some are more aggressive about it than others.  Can even vary on the county and city level as well.  And even with restrictions limiting how many people can be indoors at the same location, I've seen many cases where these are completely ignored and venues (such as bars) are packed full of people not wearing masks. Oftentimes it's just a percentage, such as, "Restaurants can open at 50%" capacity.  It's just a mess, really. 

..Al

• Like 1