IGNORED

A Literal Child and His Mom Sue Nintendo Over ‘Joy-Con Drift’

12 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

Asking for $5,000,000 in damages for something the user can self repair with a less than $15 can of Deoxit.  

That or $10 I think with shipping to get a new OEM part and just usnig an over the counter basic screwdriver could fix in 10 minutes too for the few that legitimately have this issue in a vocal minority of asininity.

• Like 1

These dopey bastards that instigate frivolous lawsuits should be made to pay reparations.  If they cannot pay back the damages, put their ass in jail for a day for every dollar they wrongfully asked for.  Lawyers that support it should be disbarred for a year or more.  That would set a very good example to stop this shit.

• Like 2

That in the US would require something the republicans for a long time have stumped for, but can't get the super majority of votes in the senate ever to get due to laywer lobbyists patting the back of some on the other side....tort reform.  Sorry if that comes off political, don't want it to be, but unless there is tort reform which would (quoting wikipedia here) change in the civil justice system that effectively reduces the ability of victims to files lawsuits, or to reduce the amount in recovery that a victim can receive.  If you remove the ability to push frivolous lawsuits, but also grossly limit in civil courts the ability to get laughably high payouts the motivation would be shot down to more legitimate claims.  Tort reform would slam the door shut on a lot of those patent troll crap claims to people like this whining about a product and trying to get a grossly huge payout.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, 0078265317 said:

Not everybody knows about Deoxit.  But I agree 5 millions is a lot for the issue at hand.

Even so, a quick Google search on joycon drift brings up plenty of tips on how to clear out the dead skin cells and debris under the analogue stick that causes the drift issue.  As always, Google is your friend.

Don't get me wrong, it's a shame the issue exists.  I have 2 sets of joycons myself that I have experienced the issue with personally, and it can be a pain in the ass at times until you get it corrected.  But, you can get it corrected.  It's a frivolous lawsuit nonetheless.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:50 AM, Downland1983 said:

Even so, a quick Google search on joycon drift brings up plenty of tips on how to clear out the dead skin cells and debris under the analogue stick that causes the drift issue.  As always, Google is your friend.

Don't get me wrong, it's a shame the issue exists.  I have 2 sets of joycons myself that I have experienced the issue with personally, and it can be a pain in the ass at times until you get it corrected.  But, you can get it corrected.  It's a frivolous lawsuit nonetheless.

Which site/video would you suggest to take a peek at if someone wanted the most accessible easy way to understand this?  Since it is an issue that can be corrected it is a shame it has come to this with the lame lawsuits.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, Tanooki said:

Which site/video would you suggest to take a peek at if someone wanted the most accessible easy way to understand this?  Since it is an issue that can be corrected it is a shame it has come to this with the lame lawsuits.

First result that came up when I typed "Fix joycon drift" into Google just now is an IGN article.  There is a section delving into the causes of joycon drift and mentions the possibility of dust (dead skin/debris) getting under the analogue stick.  A later section suggests blowing compressed air under the stick to clear the debris if that is the culprit:

What is Joy-Con drift and what causes it?

t's unclear what the cause of Joy-Con drift is but one Joy-Con teardown published on Reddit by user u/rainbopython in April 2019 claims that the drift problem could be caused by wear-and-tear over time while other theories point towards build-up of dust inside the casing around the stick. However, given that in some cases even a thorough clean doesn't fix the issue reliably, it is likely that the more permanent problem isn't merely caused by dust.

Clean the Joy-Con with Compressed Air

Sometimes, debris can get lodged underneath the thumbstick, causing some blockage. This is common across all controllers and can affect buttons and sticks. Get yourself a a compressed air can/cleaner -- available at any electronics store. You can then blast air right at the seam under the thumbstick to dislodge debris. Wipe it afterwards and check in the calibration menu whether that fixed your issue.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-switch/How_to_Fix_Joy-Con_Drift

"However, given that in some cases even a thorough clean doesn't fix the issue reliably, it is likely that the more permanent problem isn't merely caused by dust."

So says the article you guys are quoting. The fact that cleaning works for some people does not mean there is no bigger problem. I have used heaps of gamepads from various makers over the years and had never something like that occuring. It's rather obvious that it's Nintendo's design flaw, and a rather serious one. Which is why they're fixing it outside of the warranty (bit of a comedy "90 days" this one, btw) and only after stink was raised in the press about it, because previously they used to charge for it. And did not bother changing the design for the new Switch editions.

https://www.theverge.com/21504741/nintendo-switch-joy-con-drift-problem-explained

Perhaps this particular lawsuit is frivolous, but on the other hand pretending there is no problem at is a rather curious stance. And how are you supposed to call these companies to task if not by lawsuits?

What I meant about a site was one illustrating a fix, not what the concept was about.

I know some, just haven't had a need for it, but it seems the most successful ways are either salvaging it with a mix of canned air and deoxit to get things nice and amazing again.  And if salvage fails in some of those cases,  you can get a new one for like $10 online shipped.  In that case another video if someone needed it would show how to pop the screws and using tweezers to deal with the tiny ribbon cables (and it's more complicated in the case of a Lite model.)

On 10/16/2020 at 9:01 PM, 0078265317 said:

(deleted video)

Seriously?  Does that really work?  I had no idea that was a rubber cover down there.  I could see how stuff could get inside having it designed that way, but if that really can fix a number of them that's a life saver having to spend the money to crack it open and put a new part in there.

I do, but I don't have the issue.  I did go ahead and attempt it, that is a pretty thin, very thin flimsy rubber ring that pops into place on there.  I could see that being the entire issue if something got up under there while sitting in a dock or thrown into a place where dust or fuzz could get into that and cause it to freak out.

What do people do to their systems? Mine's like a year and a half old (original) and I've suffered no issues with controllers. I probably average 1-2 hours a DAY playing too, so it's not lack of usage. In fact, the only issue I have is the console battery is obviously suffering degradation, though from the use I've put into it, I certainly can't complain about it (though it'll need replaced in 6 months or less, I'm sure)