IGNORED

Stella 6.3 released

stephena

• 2 weeks later...

I was just messing around with the release for the first time, and as I played it generated hundreds of screenshots onto my desktop.  I was changing the graphics and emulation settings heavily testing different configurations for Kaboom, so I got more Kaboom screenshots than I can count.  This is actually preventing my desktop from loading and explorer.exe from responding at all.  I had to browse the folder structure in edge to even figure out what happened.  I used the command line to del Kaboom*.* and wipe them all out.  Then logged out and back in and things are back to normal, but that was really weird.  Is it possible I have some sort of auto-screenshot setting turned on that captures every frame or something?  I just installed the software today.

image.thumb.png.c5c94f29c17c963601a3e80141e54c41.png

It's an option that intentionally can't be saved, so when you exit and restart Stella, it is disabled again.  I suppose we could add an option to stop after a certain (user specified) number of snapshots have been taken.  Performance would be terrible if the snapshots were large, but I guess if you have 1x snapshot mode turned on, they would be 10K or less.  And otherwise not noticeable.

But that being said, I wonder how useful that feature is.  If nobody is using it, I would remove it completely.  Perhaps time for a poll.  Or if anyone here in this thread is actively using this, let me know.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Keatah said:

How long would it take to fill a 14TB drive by doing that? leaving.gif.8f0350301154999405d4f8a11ca4dd0b.gif

Assuming that the only thing on the drive, and snapshots average 8.5KB, somewhere north of 1.7 billion images.  And assuming every 2 seconds, about 112 years.  And that's assuming you don't quit Stella and restart it ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wongojack said:

I was pushing Alt+S and Alt+Shift+S because in the settings I saw that they were used to slow down and speed up the emulation.  I guess Alt+S is dual mapped by default?

Nope, the speed is controlled (mnemonic! :)) by Control(-Shift)+S. 

You must have enabled capturing every frame (using Alt-Shift+S). That explains the huge number.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

That's it!  I was successfully speeding up and slowing the emulation though, so I guess I ended up pushing both.  Anyway, seems like something should change with this setting.  I knew what to do and thankfully noticed that there were a ton of screenshots on the desktop before explorer.exe got all borked.  Someone else who isn't quite as experienced might actually think Stella crashed Windows.