IGNORED

NTSC fixes: Unicum, Spiky Harold

Wilheim

Hi, all!

Then again, attached are two betas for NTSC fixes. This time: Unicum and Spiky Harold.

For Unicum, I just moved the inmediate Vertical Blank Interrupt to a deferred one.

For Spiky Harold, it took a little more. I moved the software sprites routine from VBI to a DLI at the bottom of the screen. That way I could take cycles before the frame starts to display.

I will appreciate your feedback about it.

Cheers!

Spiky Harold NTSC v2.xex Unicum NTSC fix beta v1.xex

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

with Spiky Harold, you need to change the music timings and should adjust colour change values to NTSC, e.g. at $60CC -> $6121 looks to be a table used by lots of things, e.g. DLIs, to set colours.

Do you know where I can get a conversion table for PAL/NTSC colours? I mean, the closest ones.

You can get away with a simple translation most of the time.

Here you see PAL on the left and NTSC on the right.

image.png.05302c6a6e1e00dca23a657e29bad56e.png

So for $0x (black/grey/white hue), leave this alone.

For $1x thru $Ex, add $10, e.g. $36 becomes $46.

For $Fx, translate those to $2x (i.e. $1x and $Fx are the same and $1x becomes $2x)

So a quick check, in Altirra I converted instances of 0c 76 36 using:

Altirra> e 60D7 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 60E0 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 60E6 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 60EF 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 60F5 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 6101 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 6107 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 610D 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 6116 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 611C 0c 86 46
Altirra> e 611F 0c 86 46

Original PAL

image.png.ec15a986c8a7811e25a5543ad7eca462.png

NTSC v2

image.png.5c080564c69c9e6455ea95bbda835511.png

NTSC patched

image.png.48b4015ac06dbd1a5159890a100f3d64.png

So applying that to the full table can be done and, for example, a single XEX produced that detects PAL or NTSC and adjusts the table after the game has loaded and before being run.

• Like 4

Ok, following your tips, I attach a new version that adjusts the colors according if it has a GTIA PAL or NTSC.

I tried to make a generalized routine to convert any value to the NTSC equivalent stored in A, and then writing a second routine that converts all the addresses we want. Hope it helps for further fixes.

Spiky Harold NTSC v3.xex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Wrathchild

I did look on Google Images but couldn't find a SECAM color chart for the XL/XE Secam models.

Do you know of any? The majority of the SECAM units don't have a Sophia installed and they are limited to 120 colors.

Having a NTSC -> PAL -> SECAM color chart would be worthwhile for SECAM users who would like to tweak the colors of certain programs the way Wilheim did above with his PAL to NTSC conversions.

Thank you for your support! That kind of things encourage me to give my two cents on this scene.

New version (v4). Has the following new features:

- NTSC and PAL timers adjusted. Now they behave similar on the speed.

- Had to sacrifice the DMA turning off when changing the screen. That is because the VB interrupts are now on a DLI. So, from time to time, when you change the screen it hangs up. Any workaround for this?

Hope you like it. Enjoy!

Spiky Harold NTSC v4.xex

Edited by Wilheim
  • Like 1

Compression versions are typically generated when the binary parts load over DOS memory area or the page which a cartridge's binary loader code is situated, typically $700.

So the compressed binary loads above this area and decrypts over the DOS or bootstrapper as that is no longer needed and control then passed to the now-in-place original.

So in this case an uncompressed binary is mostly good for emulation use only.

Edited by Wrathchild