IGNORED

Putting together a ZIP of useful tools to put on a #FujiNet SD card, wanna help?

I've reliably used a 64GB SanDisk, but I had to format it explicitly for FAT32 with a third party formatting program, as Windows wants to format anything bigger than 32GB as ExFAT, which anything ESP32 based WILL NOT READ.

But again, it's _REALLY_ silly to use anything more than say, 8GB or so with an 8-bit, you'll never ever fill it. ;)

(and yes, I am fully prepared to eat those words)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2

I agree about the size, but I've just purchased 5 16 GB ones because the price was the same as the 8 GB  (5 bucks each) and you never know.....  I was just slightly panicking that 16GB was too large.  Good to know.

By the by: this is an awesome project and I really appreciate all the work you and the team put into it.  Wish I had skills.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Is there any way to delete disk images from the SD card from the manager without having to pop out the SD card and putting it onto my laptop to delete/manage?  It seems odd not to have some kind of SD card management available straight on the system so that we don't have to travel between systems by sneakernet.  If not.. I'll have to see if I can write one up--it's sorely missing.

Also... HUGE thanks!  As a long-time Atari enthusiast who was a network engineer in a former life back in Silicon Valley... This is a GREAT device with enormous potential!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A 200 GByte SD card formatted with FAT32 also works in the FujiNet adapter.

I use the card with many movies in the AVGCard. ATR and XEX files can be loaded without any problems.
Unfortunately, Windows only formats SD cards over 32 Gbytes in extFat. I formatted the SD with a Macbook.

A quick google found this http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm no idea if it works, I'm a mac user so I don't have these problems. Apparently you can use powershell as well.

It looks like for a disk over 32GB you will get a 32k cluster size which for all those tiny little atari files is going to be quite wasteful

On 8/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, BigBen said:

A 200 GByte SD card formatted with FAT32 also works in the FujiNet adapter.

I use the card with many movies in the AVGCard. ATR and XEX files can be loaded without any problems.
Unfortunately, Windows only formats SD cards over 32 Gbytes in extFat. I formatted the SD with a Macbook.

Natively, with it's own built-in tools, but you can easily format larger drives as FAT32 with readily available tools. I've formatted 256GB cards as FAT32 for use in a Nintendo Switch.

23 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

A quick google found this http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm no idea if it works, I'm a mac user so I don't have these problems. Apparently you can use powershell as well.

It looks like for a disk over 32GB you will get a 32k cluster size which for all those tiny little atari files is going to be quite wasteful

Here is the result ...

FSCTL_ALLOW_EXTENDED_DASD_IO OK
GuiFormat version 1.02 x86 Windows version 0602 64 bit
Size : 196GB 384471040 sectors
512 Bytes Per Sector, Cluster size 32768 bytes
Volume ID is 1df5:2260
32 Reserved Sectors, 46922 Sectors per FAT, 2 fats
6005893 Total clusters
6005892 Free Clusters
Formatting drive F:\:...
Clearing out 93940 sectors for Reserved sectors, fats and root cluster...
Wrote 48097280 bytes in 2.64 seconds, 17.36 Megabytes/sec
Initialising reserved sectors and FATs...
Done

Yep, 32K clusters, even "1K ATASCII Blaster" will take up 32k on the disk. The ATR's are ok, only 6 bytes wasted each but those XEX files are going to eat a lot of extra space. 

With a 16GB disk you get 8K clusters which is much more reasonable for wastage. Ideally you'd wat an 8GB disk (4k cluster) but you 16gb for $1 more so who cares if a little gets wasted. 

Just my 2¢

23 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Yep, 32K clusters, even "1K ATASCII Blaster" will take up 32k on the disk. The ATR's are ok, only 6 bytes wasted each but those XEX files are going to eat a lot of extra space. 

With a 16GB disk you get 8K clusters which is much more reasonable for wastage. Ideally you'd wat an 8GB disk (4k cluster) but you 16gb for $1 more so who cares if a little gets wasted. 

Just my 2¢

I need the 200 GB SD card for the movies for the AVGCart. With smaller SD cards, you can quickly become a disc jockey with the question of which card was the film on?

The SD was only € 20 ($ 23.5) and I can now use it with other Atari peripherals.

• Like 4