IGNORED

fixed shooters on nes

so after getting my mini snes and nes knockoffs......i have to say it makes my appreciation of the vcs even more.   fixed shooters on the nes, is the most insane concept ive ever heard of.  fixed shooters, should be limited to vcs.  on nes, when so much more gameplay is possible- a fixed shooter with boosted up graphics just seems ridiculous.  theres a few of them on my box and only one or so seem improved upon capabilities of a vcs fixed shooter game.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 months later...

The same NES that was first released in 198, just two years after Galaga hit the arcades? Both Galaxian and Galaga on the system are excellent ports, better than most other conversions (though I'm still eager to try the new 2600 port of Galaga). I can't think of any reason why we couldn't have excellent arcade conversions on the most popular machine after the 2600.

Edited by Rhomaios

14 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

The same NES that was first released in 198, just two years after Galaga hit the arcades? Both Galaxian and Galaga on the system are excellent ports, better than most other conversions (though I'm still eager to try the new 2600 port of Galaga). I can't think of any reason why we couldn't have excellent arcade conversions on the most popular machine after the 2600.

NES also got an okay port of Millipede. That's the only other single screen shooter besides Galaga that I can think of ported to NES.

Edited by mbd30

Recently for another package Namco officially (unofficially) made a new NES ROM for Gaplus, it was rapidly gutted from the modern package, given a header and it fires up fine in emulator or on real hardware using a flash kit.  Joust and Defender II are on the NES from back in the day, they're not bad either.  Galaxian (like non-shooter DigDug) also I guess since it doesn't scroll while firing Smash TV would fit technically.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, Rhomaios said:

I didn't love Millipede, so I didn't mentioned it, but it did get some other releases, notably Gyruss. Space Invaders was released but only in Japan. Same with Galaxian.

Oh yeah I beat NES Gyruss for the first time just the other day. I wasn't sure whether it counts as a fixed shooter.