IGNORED

IntelliVision II with the computer adapter comments (better then a ATARI 2600)

HDTV1080P

While growing up as a kid, back in late 1977 I remember playing with an ATARI 2600 videogame system in a retail store while my parents shopped in a different area of the store. The ATARI 2600 was much better when compared to those pong game consoles that had no cartridge slot. The ATARI 2600 had game cartridges which was an awesome new concept for 1977 (Fairchild Channel F in 1976 was the very first videogame system that used rom cartridges).

When the IntelliVision was released in 1979 it was not on display in any retail stores in the state I was living in, however in 1980 I got a chance to play with the IntelliVision for the first time in a retail store. I noticed that the IntelliVision home videogame system had better graphics quality and better sound quality when compared to the Atari 2600 videogame system. Also the controllers had more functions like 16 directions and a keypad.

Around the year 1981 I spent a lot of time comparing the ATARI 2600 to the IntelliVision in catalogs and retail stores, however there was something missing in terms of arcade quality from both systems. I really liked the IntelliVision system which had better graphics and sound when compared to the ATARI 2600, however I was disappointed in the lack of arcade videogame titles with the IntelliVision. The IntelliVision appeared to have its own unique videogames. The ATARI 2600 had many classic arcade videogames, but on some of the games (actually many), the graphics and sound was not like the arcade. My parents around 1981 offered to buy me either an Atari 2600 or IntelliVision console, but to make a very long story short I could not decide on which system to purchase. I then leaned in late 1981 or early 1982, that in August 1982 the ColecoVision videogame system was coming out, and it also played ATARI 2600 videogames with the Expansion Module #1 adapter. The ColecoVision also had a joystick with a keypad controller just like the IntelliVision. Also the specs on the ColecoVision were better then even the IntelliVision. Therefore, my very first brand new videogame system that I ended up owning was the ColecoVision in August/September of 1982 for around $200. Then in October of 1983 for around $600 I owned the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer system.

Around one month ago I purchased a used IntelliVision II with the computer adapter

Around one month ago I purchased a used IntelliVision II with the computer adapter. Its been around 40 years since I have played IntelliVision videogames. Both the IntelliVision and IntelliVision II has an RCA RF output jack on the console itself, which allows the consumer to use any length of RCA to RG-6 cord between 3 feet and 100 feet (just like the ColecoVision/ADAM). However, it is disappointing that the original IntelliVision has the AC power cord hardwired inside the console, they should have made the AC cord detachable in case it gets damaged (transformer is built inside the videogame console). The IntelliVision II power supply is detachable from the console which is nice. Also, the IntelliVision II videogame controllers are detachable and are not hardwired into the videogame console like the original IntelliVision (detachable by DB9 on the IntelliVision II is real nice feature). However, I really hate the combination on/off and reset button on the IntelliVision II. I have not used an original 1979 IntelliVision since the early 80’s, however I remember there being a separate push button reset button with a separate sliding on/off switch which is a better design when compared to the IntelliVision II. The IntelliVision II came out in 1983 and was just a smaller, cheaper, and lower cost IntelliVision system that played the exact same games. However, one bad design to make the IntelliVision II cheaper was combining the on/off button with the reset button. While resetting game cartridges is fine, the problem occurs when one wants to turn off the IntelliVision II to switch a different videogame cartridge. One has to hold down the power button for 3 seconds in order to get the IntelliVision II to turn off. A separate sliding on/off power switch like what is found on the original IntelliVision would have been better since there is no 3 second delay.

The ColecoVision/ADAM videogame controllers are nicer controllers when compared to the IntelliVision and IntelliVision II controllers, plus the Coleco controllers are easier to repair. One advantage of the IntelliVision and IntelliVision II controllers is that they operate in 16 directions versus 8 directions for many 80’s videogame systems. There appears to be a lack of working and replacement controllers for the IntelliVision and IntelliVision II videogame consoles when compared to other systems like the ColecoVision/ADAM. The ColecoVision and ADAM are some of the rare early 80's systems that have a fancy logo when turning on the videogame system and computer system without a cartridge inserted. The IntelliVision II has no onscreen logo when turned on without a videogame cartridge inserted.     

There were some exact same videogame titles that were released for both the ATARI 2600 and IntelliVision

The IntelliVision and IntelliVision II are the exact same quality in terms of graphics and sound quality (The IntelliVision II is just a smaller and cheaper version of the IntelliVision).  While the IntelliVision videogame system is lacking in arcade classics, which is one reason the ATARI 2600 was much more popular, the IntelliVision videogame system outperforms the ATARI 2600 in both graphics and sound quality. For example, Tron Deadly Discs looks much better on the IntelliVision when compared to playing the exact same game on the ATARI 2600. Also, when I compared Night Stalker on the IntelliVision to the ATARI 2600 version called Dark Cavern. The IntelliVision version of Night Stalker clearly is better graphics and sound when compared to the ATARI 2600 (I wish someone would make a ColecoVision version of Night Stalker, since the ColecoVision version would be the best, but some people purchased a IntelliVision or IntelliVision II just to play the classic Night Stalker videogame). However Dark Cavern on the ATARI 2600 is a little differnet compared to Night Stalker on the IntelliVision. While the graphics for Dark Cavern are not as good on the ATARI 2600, I perfer the way the controller operates, also one can reload anytime where as Night Stalker one has to wait until the guy is completley out of ammo before reloading. Over all Night Stalker was more enjoyable when compared to Dark cavern (both games are different and have there pluses and minuses). Also the IntelliVision videogames have fancy game over messages and have a nice polished feel to them when compared to the average ATARI 2600 videogame that feels like its lacking in quality. I really wish Coleco would have made a IntelliVision adapter for the ColecoVision, but they never did (there was rumors that Coleco was planning or considering doing so). In 1982 Mattel released the Voice Synthesis Module, which was an amazing product since the ATARI 2600 videogame system could not produce any voices. However, the ColecoVision was capable of producing voices without any add on voice module, there were a few third-party videogame cartridges that used voices in the games. However, its my understand that those rare videogame cartridges with built in voice took up a lot of space on the game cartridge rom. Perhaps the IntelliVision Voice Synthesis Module allowed for a small amount of space to be taken up for voice videogame cartridges. In later years a third part company called EVE Electronics came out with a Speech Synthesizer for the ADAM computer with built in clock. The Mattel Voice Synthesis Module has a top expansion port that to my knowledge was never used for anything.   

In 1980 the Mattel Keyboard component was released, but it was not that popular and its estimated that around 4,000 were manufactured.  In 1983 Mattel released the computer adapter with Computer Keyboard for the IntelliVision II videogame system. The ATARI 2600 never had a real computer system option; however ATARI did have its own dedicated ATARI computers like that ATARI 400 and ATARI 800 in 1979.

The Mattel computer adapter has built in basic program and a built-in music program. However, the Coelco ADAM that was released in October of 1983 is a much more powerful computer system. The IntelliVision II and the computer adapter uses the cartridge slot for expansion, where as the Coleco ADAM has a cartridge slot, and 4 expansion ports (one side expansion and 3 internal expansions). The Coelco ADAM also has a real professional keyboard. Both the ColecoVision and the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer were more powerful videogame and computer systems when compared to Mattel videogames and computer systems. The IntelliVision was clearly the best videogame system to own between 1979-1981 if one wanted graphics and sound above the ATARI 2600 videogames. But because of the lack of arcade classics the 1977 ATARI 2600 was a much more popular videogame system. However, when the 1982 ColecoVision videgame system was released and then the ADAM computer was released in 1983, the ColecoVision/ADAM was the best system to own until late 1985 when the Nintendo videogame system and the Amiga clearly outperformed the ColecoVision/ADAM. Sometimes I wonder what would have happen if Coleco never existed, maybe I would have ended up with a IntelliVision in 1981 instead of a ColecoVision in 1982. Or maybe I would have gone with the ATARI 5200 videogame system in 1982 instead. The ATARI 5200 is a little better than the IntelliVision, and the ColecoVision is a little better than the ATARI 5200. All classic 80’s videogame systems have their pluses and minuses and exclusive videogames that are not offered on any other system.

PIC1.JPG

PIC2.JPG

PIC3.JPG

PIC4.JPG

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 3

Very nice. My ONLY Intellivision products are also an INTVII console the Intellivoice module and a few games including most of the Intellivoice one. My console is not in as nice a shape as yours but not too bad. My only other Intellivision experience was from in store demos back in the day and that is all. My window for adding to my collection has long passed so I must be satisfied with what I currently have, I DID hope for a long time to eventually get either an original Intellivision or one of the comparable INTV System III (also called the Super Pro System) as I liked the idea of the larger and more original looking system though I was aware of the short comings you mentioned (non-removable controllers and hard wired AC cord) something still attracted me to the idea of an original larger model though it never happened. Would also love a System changer to use 2600 carts on, again not really needed since  have so many options to play 2600 carts but then again I have the ColecoVision expansion module so the system changer would be nice to compare. 

I DID wonder sometimes though, the INTVII controllers are not of the same feel or quality of the originals BUT they do have the advantage of being easily removable compared to the hard wired originals, I thought it might be cool, though beyond my capability if it might be possible to mod original hard wired controllers into removable controllers usable on my INTVII, I am sure it is for people more skilled than myself, I wonder if many have attempted this? OR similarly molded an original style Intellivision hard wired consoles to use removable controllers? No doubt somebody has an intellivision console with all the best features and none of the negative traits of either console. 

• Like 1

Where I was, colecovision would have been the obvious choice for christmas 1982.  I hadn't even heard of the atari 5200 and am not sure how well the atari 5200 was promoted.  Colecovision and the atari 5200 had 16x the ram of intellivision which had about 8x the ram of an atari 2600.  That ram allowed for more detailed higher resolution graphics.  The atari 5200 has more advanced features compared to colecovision, such as hardware multidirectional scrolling, more sprites per scanline, more colours, analog controllers (although not implemented well).  Technically, the atari 2600 has higher vertical resolution than intellivision and more colours than colecovision.  Intellivision has the better sound chip over colecovision.  It can do speech without the intellivoice but doing so takes up most of the cpu time.  Intellivision has the best controllers but that's a matter of opinion.  In the years 1983 to 1986 I'd say the best video game system to get was the commodore 64.

For us, the intellivision was the obvious choice over the atari 2600.  We played games in the arcade and the arcade games on the 2600 didn't look very good.  We also liked sports and intellivision had the best sports games, home or arcade.  The more advanced and more comfortable intellivision controller was a big part of the decision.

The 1980 intellivision keyboard component was never promoted after release because mattel was losing money on the product.  It was meant to have large capacity games on tape although none were released.  The 1983 ecs computer module was a rush job with a barely functional basic interpreter.  It was made only to fulfill the promise to turn an intellivision in to a computer.  It does have a memory expansion port on top but wasn't designed to load software from tape.  Games on tape were becoming less important as rom cartridge capacity was getting larger and larger.  Mattel Electronics started to shut down shortly after its release.

If you want an intellivision with original style controllers that are externally detachable get a sears intellivision.  I've never had the need to detach the controllers (except for repair), but the straight controller cables are convenient.  It's not hard to add external controller ports to an original intellivision, only tool you need is a screwdriver.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Under real world conditions comparing the exact same videogame titles on the ATARI 5200 and Commodore 64, I prefer the quality of the ColecoVision/ADAM versions. The ADAM version of Donkey Kong has all 4 screens and perhaps the only system that has all 5 screens for Donkey Kong Junior (bonus 5th screen that was not even in the arcade was leaked by a Coleco employee to the ADAM community, the released version has 4 screens). While the Nintendo Entertainment system that came out in North America in October of 1985 was more powerful than the ColecoVision, for some reason it did not have all the screens for Donkey Kong. It is my understanding that in the year 2010 a special version of Donkey Kong for the NES was released that contained all the screens, but I have never played that version.

When comparing videogames side by side to the ColecoVision and the Atari 5200, I prefer the ColecoVision versions. The ATARI 5200 only sold over 1 million consoles and was not as popular, where as the ColecoVision videogame system sold over 2 million consoles and over 500,000 ADAM computer systems. However even though the graphics were not as good on the Intellivision when compared to the ColecoVision, I did notice that the Intellivision was a more popular system since it sold over 3 million videogame consoles.  We did have a few ColecoVision games that used speech in the videogames without a voice module. The sound is really good on the Intellivision even without the speech module. The Intellivision voice Synthesizer module is very nice, I noticed that many Intellivision videogames have detailed speech compared to only a few videogames with speech on the ColecoVision videogame system. Every system has its plusses and minuses. There are a lot of interesting videogames and a lot sports games for the Intellivision. If the Intellivision would have had more arcade classics like the ATARI 2600, then ATARI would not have been as popular. The Intellivision came out in 1979. The ATARI 2600 had a two-year head start in the videogame market which is why it sold over 30 million consoles between 1977 to 2004. Plus there was a massive amount of companies that made ATARI 2600 adapters since many people wanted to be able to play ATARI 2600 videogames on their Intellivision, ColecoVision/ADAM, ATARI 5200, and many other systems that support ATARI 2600 videogame cartridges.

Some detailed Intellivision videogame system comments

Thanks for the information regarding the Sears Super Video Arcade system. The detachable controller feature on the Sears Super Video Arcade makes the system better than the original Intellivision since one can unplug a defective controller and replace the controller without having to take the system apart to replace a controller. The problem is there is a lack of replacement controllers and repair services for the existing Intellivision systems when it comes to the game controllers (maybe one day that could change). Too bad Mattel or some other company does not make replacement controllers for the Sears Super Video Arcade, Intellivision II, and the hardwired Intellivision.   

On top of the Intellivoice module I noticed that there is an expansion interface that is covered by a plastic cover, but it is my understanding that it was never used. Perhaps it was to add more voice chips or ram in the future. It is extremely hard to remove the plastic cover sometimes without damaging it. On one Intellivoice module, that plastic cover easily pops on and off, however on another Intellivoice module the cover is very hard to get off without damaging it. There must have been different versions of the Intellivoice module made when it comes to how easy it is to remove the plastic cover.

While the 1983 Intellivision computer module will work with all Intellivision’s, since its white in color it was mainly designed for use with the Intellivision II videogame system, since cosmetically it matches with that console the best. I was not aware that the Intellivision computer module has a top memory expansion port (which no company has every designed a memory expander for the expansion port to my knowledge). The expansion port is not mentioned at all in the official Mattel owner’s guide either.

https://archive.org/details/Intellivision_Computer_Module_Owners_Guide_1983_Mattel_US/mode/2up

There appears to be a small 1 inch wide area on top of the computer module that appears like it might open up. However, I tried prying it open gently, and it did not open. I am not going to give it anymore force since I am afraid the plastic cover might break off and be damaged. I will just leave the cover on, I just wanted to look at the expansion port, but it is on the console too tight and these computer modules are rare and I do not want to damage the plastic. Anyways to my knowledge there exists no third party memory expanders to plug into the slot. On the ATARI 5200, ColecoVision, ADAM, all the expansion ports are easy to get to without damaging the plastic cover. I wish Mattel would have made a better design for the plastic cover on the voice module and computer module. The computer module is the worse when it comes to trying to remove the top cover.  

Edited by HDTV1080P

Might be easier to take the case apart with the screws from underneath.  Those plastic access doors might be glued closed.

Here's some photos and discussion of the ecs computer adaptor memory expansion.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/288947-ecs-program-expander-was-planned-in-brown

Here's some information about the intellivoice peripheral connector.

Http://history.blueskyrangers.com/hardware/intellivoice.html

17 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Very nice. My ONLY Intellivision products are also an INTVII console the Intellivoice module and a few games including most of the Intellivoice one. My console is not in as nice a shape as yours but not too bad. My only other Intellivision experience was from in store demos back in the day and that is all. My window for adding to my collection has long passed so I must be satisfied with what I currently have, I DID hope for a long time to eventually get either an original Intellivision or one of the comparable INTV System III (also called the Super Pro System) as I liked the idea of the larger and more original looking system though I was aware of the short comings you mentioned (non-removable controllers and hard wired AC cord) something still attracted me to the idea of an original larger model though it never happened. Would also love a System changer to use 2600 carts on, again not really needed since  have so many options to play 2600 carts but then again I have the ColecoVision expansion module so the system changer would be nice to compare. 

I DID wonder sometimes though, the INTVII controllers are not of the same feel or quality of the originals BUT they do have the advantage of being easily removable compared to the hard wired originals, I thought it might be cool, though beyond my capability if it might be possible to mod original hard wired controllers into removable controllers usable on my INTVII, I am sure it is for people more skilled than myself, I wonder if many have attempted this? OR similarly molded an original style Intellivision hard wired consoles to use removable controllers? No doubt somebody has an intellivision console with all the best features and none of the negative traits of either console. 

100_9312.thumb.JPG.d63e27b1328d1dfed2c91317bed067e8.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Might be easier to take the case apart with the screws from underneath.  Those plastic access doors might be glued closed.

Here's some photos and discussion of the ecs computer adaptor memory expansion.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/288947-ecs-program-expander-was-planned-in-brown

Here's some information about the intellivoice peripheral connector.

Http://history.blueskyrangers.com/hardware/intellivoice.html

Thanks for the information. The plastic access door on one of my Intellivoice modules was glued shut, but on another Intellivoice module was easier to remove and put back on without damaging the plastic cover. However, on the Intellivision Computer adapter the top door is so tight that slight prying on the door will not open it since it must be glued shut. The link to the thread you provided mentioned that only on a few of the computer adapters did Mattel decide to place a memory expansion connector on the motherboard, and its my understanding that the expansion door is not glued down and easier to open for those with the rare connector on the computer adapter. My door is glued down so tight on the computer adapter, that if I place any more force on the door, I think it will break the plastic. Yes I could go in from the bottom and take the entire computer adapter apart. However, its my understanding that the memory expansion connector on the motherboard exists on a small amount of the computer adapters that were made, and that most likely this is why Mattel never mentioned the feature in the owner’s manual. It does not make any logical sense to offer the expansion port on some of the systems and not on others. Even if 10% to 50% of the computer adapters have the expansion connector, since no third party company makes a memory expansion for the Mattel computer adapter, there is no real reason to try and access it. This would have been a real nightmare for Mattel if they would have released a product for the expansion port on the small amount of computer adapters that have the connector. The first issue would be its so hard to gain access to where the expansion port is suppose to be located, the second issue customers would be upset if their computer adapter was lacking the connector do to some cost cutting measures to not include the connector on most of the computer adapter motherboards that went into production.

Now the good thing about the Voice Synthesis Module, is that 100% of them have the top expansion connector. According to the link you gave me, Mattel planned on coming out with a hardware device that plugged in to the top of the Voice Synthesis Module, that would add wireless hand controllers to the Intellivision. Also pin 6 on the connector for the Voice Synthesis Module allows an external power supply to be connected to replace the current power supply or be a power supply booster to offer more power to the video consoles hardware. Therefore, a third party company could today make a little box that plugs into the Voice Synthesis Module top connector, and that box could offer 2 or 4 DB9 standard controller jacks and also at the same time offer a wireless controller option for the Mattel system. Since the box would be a powered box, it could also boost the power supply capabilities of the Intellivision. Then anyone that wanted to use wired DB9 hand controllers or special new wireless hand controllers on their Intellivision system, would just need to own the Intellivoice module, which is a fairly common device that can be found on EBAY, etc.     

Edited by HDTV1080P

1 minute ago, Lathe26 said:

Minor clarification about the ECS and tapes: you can load and save BASIC programs to tape but that's it.  No one has found a way to load machine code to/from tape (only using only the ECS or cartridges from back in the day).

Thanks for the information, my Coleco ADAM is looking much better with the 3.5 inch 1.44MB disk drives, SD drives, and Digital Data Drives.

5 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

Minor clarification about the ECS and tapes: you can load and save BASIC programs to tape but that's it.  No one has found a way to load machine code to/from tape (only using only the ECS or cartridges from back in the day).

Is there any reason someone couldn't write a cartridge program that saved cp1610 machine code to tape and read it back in to ram for execution.  You would need 16bit or 10bit ram to store the program.  The intellivision only has a few bytes of 16-bit ram and the 2k ram in the ecs computer adaptor is 8-bit.  So it would need ram.

5 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

Now the good thing about the Voice Synthesis Module, is that 100% of them have the top expansion connector. ...

No, mattel removed that connector during the intellivoice production life.  Some don't have it.  Its removal probably related to intellivision iii development as the history page suggests.

9 hours ago, mr_me said:

Is there any reason someone couldn't write a cartridge program that saved cp1610 machine code to tape and read it back in to ram for execution.  You would need 16bit or 10bit ram to store the program.  The intellivision only has a few bytes of 16-bit ram and the 2k ram in the ecs computer adaptor is 8-bit.  So it would need ram.

Yes, it could easily be done with a modern cartridge.  Most of what it would need to do is bypass the ECS ROM and add RAM to execute the code from (the ECS itself only added a small amount of 8-bit RAM).

9 hours ago, mr_me said:

No, mattel removed that connector during the intellivoice production life.  Some don't have it.  Its removal probably related to intellivision iii development as the history page suggests.

As a minor note, other sources say the the connector was removed when the Keyboard Component was cancelled.  This is because the signal to "disable and override Intellivision hardware" from the Intellivoice connector was actually implemented in the KC.  Without the KC, the signal does nothing.  This is how the wireless controllers on the Intellivoice were going to disable the hardwired controllers on the Intellivision console.

Just to reinforce what mr_me said, only around 45% of Intellivoices have the connector.  You could solder one on to install a connector, if you wanted.

• Like 1

On the Intellivision computer module there is 5 jacks on the back. One jack is the POWER jack which powers the system with an external power supply, then there is the AUX jack which allows one to hook up a printer, then there is the OUT TO TAPE and IN FROM TAPE jacks which allows one to record and read programs on an old fashion analog cassette recorder, or similar recording device. However, the owners guide does not mention what the 5th jack on the back is for. There is a jack on the back that says REMOTE.

Does anyone know what the REMOTE jack on the computer module is for and was the REMOTE Jack every used by any company.    

Edited by HDTV1080P

5 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

On the Intellivision computer module there is 5 jacks on the back. One jack is the POWER jack which powers the system with an external power supply, then there is the AUX jack which allows one to hook up a printer, then there is the OUT TO TAPE and IN FROM TAPE jacks which allows one to record and read programs on an old fashion analog cassette recorder, or similar recording device. However, the owners guide does not mention what the 5th jack on the back is for. There is a jack on the back that says REMOTE.

Does anyone know what the REMOTE jack on the computer module is for and was the REMOTE Jack every used by any company.    

It's for the tape recorder. You can start and stop the recorder from the computer. 

If you look closely, you can see that I connected 3 cables to the tape recorder.

IMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.52f1d4f3b9f075285bed08e6b5702fc9.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 2:44 PM, Jeffrey Bouchard said:

Was game factory ever released as a home brew in cartridge and or rom file? I’d like to try to play around with programming etc. but the rom that I have from the rocks cd glitches and obviously does not save unless I am missing something. Thank you very much. 

Where does it glitch? The game factory rom on the rocks cd seems to run fine with the rocks emulators and jzintv.  A few years a go someone did put game factory on a homebrew cartridge.  The DOS emulator on rocks does emulate saving and loading to cassette tape.  The Windows emulator does not but it can save and load the entire emulator state.  I'm not sure if jzintv emulates the tape interface, that's a question for the author.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Where does it glitch? The game factory rom on the rocks cd seems to run fine with the rocks emulators and jzintv.  A few years a go someone did put game factory on a homebrew cartridge.  The DOS emulator on rocks does emulate saving and loading to cassette tape.  The Windows emulator does not but it can save and load the entire emulator state.  I'm not sure if jzintv emulates the tape interface, that's a question for the author.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I believe that when I used the rocks windows emulation That I did not fully understand how to proceed. As for JZINTV, I will look into that as I have it for every other game now. Thank you very much.That I did not fully understand how to proceed. As for JZINTV, I will look into that as I have it for every other game now. Thank you very much.

With jzintv, use the game factory rom file from the rocks DosCarts directory.  The cfg in the rocks Cartridges directory is incomplete.  And if you want to use it with an original intellivision and ecs computer module, it should work fine through an ltoflash cartridge.

Edited by mr_me