IGNORED

Wizard Of Wor fresh sprite set

TIX

I recently redesigned WOR sprite-set, to something more closely resembling the arcade,

the limitations are heavy, the sprites are 8x8 square pixels, so very challenging to get something recognizable.. never the less I'm very happy with the end result !

It's currently impossible for me to hack them into the game, so I leave them here just in case someone is interested to deal with them  ;)

Atari      C64       Mine

wor-compo.gif.1d487020428d09f2f8c93371f9cdc0bf.gif

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Atari Nut said:

Nice work!  It would be interesting to see the arcade version in your comparison gif.

I couldn't find the animation frames from the arcade so I used Commodore's,

C64 sprites being high resolution, are almost identical to the arcade, though monochrome (except from the Worluk)..

Arcade          Atari     C64       Mine

image.thumb.png.d2a25ebb35288df3835e4cc1aa008e44.png wor-compo.gif.7cbe4964af99f35e724114445f2c06e8.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4

I'm not a fan of the coin-op graphics (and animation) - and so I think the Atari version was the right way to go - diverting from the arcade version in it's designs - most of what is successfully done.  It's resolution really needed to be stepped up - so maybe they went low-res (actually med-res) so as to stick within 16K limitations maybe - nowadays it could be done within 32K?  Adding more resolution (and color) and animations to it and go even more away from the arcade version in it's graphics.  To make it the best possible and for it to stand out even more.

While the C-64 conversion designs stuck closely to the coin-ops - it doesn't look better than the Atari conversion - in my view.

Not all coin-ops had the best graphics possible for it - even in certain iconic games - you can see less than stellar explosions and the like present in them.

Harvey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwilove said:

I'm not a fan of the coin-op graphics (and animation) - and so I think the Atari version was the right way to go - diverting from the arcade version in it's designs - most of what is successfully done. 

Not all coin-ops had the best graphics possible for it - even in certain iconic games - you can see less than stellar explosions and the like present in them.

Personally I love the arcade sprites, in fact when I saw the game back in early 1980's I was blown away !

As for the Atari's version sprites, I don't think they are going for something different.. they are just bad renditions of the original..

as a matter of fact some of them are straight copies of the 2600 sprites.

Of course this doesn't stop me and my brother to play the game till our fingers bled  ?

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey,

It turns out the version I was trying to hack was compressed..

After @MrFish's heads-up, I found the .rom version from Atarimania !

that allowed me to locate the playfield sprites in Omnivore,

and then painstakingly edit them in Hack-o-matic ?

So long story short, all creatures have been modeled after their arcade counterparts, also added a colorful explosion !

Another one crossed off my list, very happy with the end result  ?

image.png.b3af84de490cb332f28ec9ee079788e7.png

enjoy ->  Wizard of Wor (refreshed rev3).rom

I have yet to edit the hero and hero's explosion (they are sprites)..  next revision.

Edited by TIX
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, Atari Nut said:

Good job on this.  I noticed that the .xex version has a much longer attract mode.  It shows all the enemies and their point value along with other various instructional screens that this .rom version doesn't have.

Yeah, the XEX version is apparently a conversion of the disk version of the game, which includes the extra parts you mention.

• Like 1

I compared a RAM dump with the disk image. The disk is not encrypted in any way.

It must be somewhere.

It seems that the code is loaded to RAM starting from $1000 up to $6A6B.

The exact same data can be found on the disk in sectors 5-185 (offset into the ATR image $210-$5C8F).