IGNORED

ICD SCSI/IDE interface

TGB1718

Am I right in thinking ICD did a SCSI to IDE Hard drive interface ?

The reason I ask is I currently have a 1GB 50 pin SCSI Hard drive attached to my STE and obviously

age being a concern, I would like to have a backup/second drive, I have probably 10 various size IDE

drives (most less then 1GB) and could use some of those as backups.

I am using an ICD ACSI to SCSI interface and it has a pass-through port to attach further drives.

I've seen SCSI drives for sale, but with them coming through the postal service and surviving is unlikely.

No such adapter done by ICD. And actually that must be something very rare.

I don't recommend to order SCSI drives, and not because possible damage during shipping (no warranty?), but because drive age.

I have here SCSI drives in range of 2 - 18 GB, and half of them is just not working now, even if they were OK last time (some 2-4 years ago).

Cheaper will be to order UltraSatan.  And even cheaper is to make IDE adapter for STE - and again, really not good idea to make backups on very old drives. That's not future proof.  I have some much younger 4-40 GB, and same - some just stopped working.

I removed IDE adapter from my STE .  Flash cards are solution, and prices are really low now - 64 GB under 20 bucks.

I have not heard of a SCSI to IDE interface.  Like ParanoidLittleMan said, a flash-based drive will be better in the end -- no moving parts, no heat, inexpensive media, quieter, and will last longer.  Most are priced about the same as a hard drive and many types to choose from... SCSI2SD, Satan, Ultrasatan, CosmosEx to name a few.  I am still using the same hard drive from 1994 in my TT (as well as the original clock battery!) but I plan to back it up and replace it with a CosmosEx before something happens.

If DMA chip in STE is problematic one, it will have problems with practically all attached disks, adapters to ACSI port.

So, you have good DMA for sure.

And don't believe everything written. WEB is full with crap. I saw some really silly claims on Best WEBsite, for instance.

Ultrasatan is most popular adapter currently, with reason.

16 hours ago, djglish said:

I wish I could find a SCSI to SATA adapter.  I have a good SCSI slide scanner that I can only use on a really old computer that still has a SCSI card.

Well, I have 3 PCI SCSI cards, and I can use them in new PC. In other words, what are you talking about ?

Still has a SCSI card ? Aren't those slots for putting in them  some card  when user wants it ?

Here, you can buy such things in second hand computer stores, or looking private adverts. And prices for it are low, because there is lot of it at people, and count of interested people is low.

Will write in new thread about what adapters are available, and why some not ...

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
low is not lot :-)

17 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

If DMA chip in STE is problematic one, it will have problems with practically all attached disks, adapters to ACSI port.

So, you have good DMA for sure.

Thanks for that, I have used 2 different hard drives on the STE and have never had any problems, so that's great to know,

looks like an UltraSatan in on the cards now :)

17 hours ago, mdivancic said:

You could always try this:

SCSI2SD

I have on in my TT and it works great. I believe mine is about v4.0. 

That's good for TT, which has good built in SCSI (better than what is in Falcon). But in case of ST(E) - why 2 adapters, when one can do it ?

And that 'one' - what goes straight in ACSI port is even cheaper than SCSI2SD, has 2 SD card slots and even RTC .

On 10/11/2020 at 4:11 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

That's good for TT, which has good built in SCSI (better than what is in Falcon). But in case of ST(E) - why 2 adapters, when one can do it ?

And that 'one' - what goes straight in ACSI port is even cheaper than SCSI2SD, has 2 SD card slots and even RTC .

I agree 100%!  I love my UltraSatan. I just put an internal in my STacy.  It original poster seems to want SCSI, just giving him an option. I will not use 30 year old physical drives anymore because there are just to many problems.