IGNORED

8bit Abbayes des Morts Possible?

Goochman

I also told myself that an A8 version would be great and I've been messing around with G2F and the C64 assets over the last few weeks...

Here is the result of my first experiments:

adm-a8.gif.9141b478b33042074edcb784ea243f15.gif

adm-first-screen.xex

I don't know if I'm going to go any further and I think that obviously an A8 version would look less attractive than the C64 one. And of course there would be a lot of work for the graphics department!

It would also be possible to use a lower resolution (160 vs 320 pixels), but I have the impression that this would spoil the spirit of the game:

adm.png.bcbd0fdb996a2b63ca5b48ecde573a8b.png

If someone is interested, he can PM me ?

adm-firsts-screen.xex

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I think it looks pretty nice.

I don't think lower resolution would spoil the spirit of the game, necessarily (it all depends on the quality of the conversion), but it would change the look and feel somewhat.

It looks like the two XEX's you uploaded are the same. Wasn't the second one supposed to be the low-res test?

1 hour ago, fantômas said:

I also told myself that an A8 version would be great and I've been messing around with G2F and the C64 assets over the last few weeks...

Here is the result of my first experiments:

adm-a8.gif.9141b478b33042074edcb784ea243f15.gif

adm-first-screen.xex 9.9 kB · 5 downloads

I don't know if I'm going to go any further and I think that obviously an A8 version would look less attractive than the C64 one. And of course there would be a lot of work for the graphics department!

e to use a lower resolution (160 vs 320 pixels), but I have the impression that this would spoil the spirit of the game:

Nice results. The hires doesn't look too flat. And, yes those games "need" hires. 

But for the Atari it would result in much better details, if only one color is used, and the PMg is used for underlay. 

example.jpg.2afe5e4889943cc031ab312cd257e178.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, emkay said:

Nice results. The hires doesn't look too flat. And, yes those games "need" hires. 

But for the Atari it would result in much better details, if only one color is used, and the PMg is used for underlay. 

Very nice, I like black and white.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, emkay said:

An interesting idea indeed!

12 hours ago, MrFish said:

I don't think lower resolution would spoil the spirit of the game, necessarily (it all depends on the quality of the conversion), but it would change the look and feel somewhat.

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Personally not a fan of high resolution..

with a slight redesign we can have lower resolution sprites and our own unique style !

My first plan was to use a resolution of 160 with 5 colours, keeping in mind the author's intentions as much as possible:

"Faith will be your only weapon in this platformer styled like a ZX Spectrum game. Black backgrounds, 1 color sprites and 1 bit sounds are a proper fit for a raw story. The lack of details turn on the player's imagination, creating a unique experience for each player."

For screens, this means that you have to redo everything from scratch. A lot of work I had started to do:

image.thumb.png.5c3e50e5f61aa8bac650f4178261a594.png

14.png.c112326f481dd9502f4656c6db9afa7b.png

But during my experiments, I quickly asked myself questions about the design of the sprites. Of course, someone as talented as TIX can probably do something interesting with fewer pixels....

The obvious advantage of working with this resolution is that we can use PM for both Jean (the hero) and some of his enemies.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, zbyti said:

C64 version is more dynamic.

Interesting. The C64 version is much more coarse , caused by the limited 1MHz CPU. So the game is more coarse in "playing resolution" . It's named "dynamic", while it should be "coarse". 

Seems, the C64 bias never will be solved.  

2 hours ago, zbyti said:

@emkay Have you even played the C64 version? I spend a few hours on this game, gameplay is very smooth.

no he hasn't. he never does otherwise he wouldn't spout the utter bollocks he does.

the game is running completely at 50 hz, in a movement and play resolution of 320x200, all sprites are hardware and the cpu is so far away from being taxed is actually laughable. This game barely even registers on the scale of taxing a c64. If you want to see a Tony Savona game that pushes the boundaries with a c64 you should look at Fix It Felix jr.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, STE'86 said:

If you want to see a Tony Savona game that pushes the boundaries with a c64 you should look at Fix It Felix jr.

Funny you should mention that, I just recently came across Fix It Felix jr. I was really getting into youtube videos there for a bit, and came across some retro gaming news site that had it featured.  I was quite impressed.

And also inspired a bit, about some "big boss" ideas that would really play to the Atari's strength....if I can remember I'll come back to the thread after coming up with a xex mockup.

9 hours ago, zbyti said:

@emkay Have you even played the C64 version? I spend a few hours on this game, gameplay is very smooth.

I have enough C64 games played to see that the graphics details were better than the gamemechanics. 

Same with this game. The objects move too fast due to the avalialbe "Gameplay resolution". 

You name it "dynamic" . 

Do you really think, the C64 is better there than the Original? 

The Original is RESEMBLING the look of the Spectrum. But Graphics incl. all moving objects run in the shown resolution. 

On the C64 everything is outside the "320x200" resolution. It's faster, missing movement precision. That's why it looks more "dynamic".