IGNORED

8bit Abbayes des Morts Possible?

Goochman

8 hours ago, STE'86 said:

no he hasn't. he never does otherwise he wouldn't spout the utter bollocks he does.

the game is running completely at 50 hz, in a movement and play resolution of 320x200, all sprites are hardware and the cpu is so far away from being taxed is actually laughable. This game barely even registers on the scale of taxing a c64. If you want to see a Tony Savona game that pushes the boundaries with a c64 you should look at Fix It Felix jr.

If you want to prove me wrong, why do you point to a supporting video of what I'm about?

A lot games on the C64 were built on the limits there, and work well within the game mechanics, as the game is build around that.

Meanwhile, I guess it's better to have a look at the original game for the Atari. The 32 bytes width at high resolution offer enough power to have the game working.

3 minutes ago, zbyti said:

Yes. C64 main character have nice movement flow and animation. You don't played then you don't get it ? 

The point is that you don't play the game as it is done. You play some sparepart on the C64. 

Not to mention that the "sprites" are too small. So all the nifty parts in the game get lost. And this is what the gameplay makes it easier to play. 

For coders, I think the following article is worth reading about the C64 version:

https://ready64.org/articoli/leggi/idart/109/abbaye-des-morts-64-post-mortem

What amazed me the most was that they managed to make the whole game fit in 64Kb - what was not the original plan - including an extra level (The Hacker Room) and Jean's digitized scream.

These guys are damn good I think!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From mentioned article, Google Translated ;)

Even more interesting for me was the challenge that Locomalito launched himself: to implement the game in just two weeks. I wondered if it was possible to do the same thing in bringing it to the Commodore 64, considering that both the graphics and the sound were practically finished and there was only need to program it. My hope was that this advantage was enough to balance the programming handicap on Commodore 64, which is certainly more onerous than developing a game with GameMaker, a tool used by Locomalito, so I decided to take up his challenge, with some small adjustment. I quantified the total development time in actual 200 hours (two hypothetical weeks of at least 14 hours of work per day), which I would spread in the months to come, in my free time, to meet the needs of my real job.

(...)

With L'Abbaye des morts 64 I set the development according to more conventional canons, giving myself priorities and deadlines, approaching the project as a real job. I also tried to plan everything over 150 hours, including testing, reserving 50 hours for the unexpected that surely would have occurred. 

After around 50 hours of development, the game has come to an end-to-end working version, with the entire map being explorable and some static enemies in place. After 120 hours I had the game complete with intro, ending sequences, items and enemies in place, end-of-level bosses, scrolls and other interactive items.

When I sent the first playable beta to the testers, who were aware of the bet, the whole team was convinced that I would make it smoothly. Obviously the devil is in the details and the finishing touches, debugging and difficulty tuning took a long time and almost total rewrite of large portions of code. In the end, the game took about 240 "documented" hours of actual coding.
Try it again, Tony ...

Edited by zbyti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...