IGNORED

How well do you think Sonic Adventure series have aged?

Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 are part of a unique convolution in video game in terms of popularity.

After many years a full 3D Sonic game was released on the DC it had reviews with people drooling from the mouth, a launch game for the new powerful Dreamcast that everyone would talk about until the Sequel Sonic Adventure 2. That is another game that while not as praised was widely considered a high-point in the series.

What I find interesting is not long after Sonic Adventure 2 and the Dreamcast cancel by Sega it was released on another system as a port. This port was arguably the same game with a few exclusive features yet it scored way below most reviewers original score for the game. The same would be said for the port of the first Sonic Adventure on the Gamcube which would end up even worse. The thing is this not many years in between original and port it's close together.

So it makes me wonder if people were only overlooking Sonic Adventure series flaws because of hype for DC and sympathy for DC as rumors kept spreading they would soon pull.

Both games had issues like subpar cutscene animations in-game, not to be confused with CG. Character movements don't seem to be the same engine as the level you are playing in impacting control, and in SA1 specifically it seems like it's just several tech demos thrown onto a disc and they added Sonic characters for each tech demo. Clearly stages are not made for Big, even getting in position as Big the cat is pain in the ass, but once you get hook in the water you aren't even playing Sonic you are playing poor mans Bass fishing. E103 is generic auto-aim shooter and so on. SA2 Sonic and Shadow always slipping and sliding as if stage was made with a different dev tool than the characters.

Thats only a few issues I noticed even when they were new but reviewers only mentioned somewhat after the Gamecube Ports came out and not the DC originals. That's why I am wondering what people actually think in terms of how these games aged because in recent years with Mania and other Sonic games you don't hear too much about Adventure as you did even 10 years ago but still hear Sonic 2, Sonic knuckles, Sonic CD, Generations.

Sample size of 1....

Personally I never liked them.  I tried over and over to enjoy Sonic Adventure on DC, and IMHO it's an unfun mess of a game.  SA2 was better, but still not good enough for me to ever play though.

I haven't played either in a long time, so my opinion hasn't changed ;)