IGNORED

Buyer upset I sent him an EXTRA GAME

CaptainCanadian

So as you guys know I've been selling a bunch of my stuff lately. I've been burned a few times on shipping and ended up eating the cost...but no biggie. I assumed that since you guys are collectors you probably appreciate this stuff and that makes me happy that you'll take a lot of pride in keeping these things. Fast forward a month, I've started selling on EBAY and maybe this will be my last sale.  So I sold Phantasy Star for about 100 dollars. I under priced it a bit because it had a small tear, about half an inch in the cover's plastic and paper on the side which I guess wasn't really shown in a photo. I mean it was but it wasn't highlighted because I didn't actually notice it till the buyer pointed it out. Well anyway, I have a bunch of these SMS games and I figured I charged 20 bucks for shipping, so I'd throw in an extra game... I think it was world soccer PAL. It wasn't a bribe or anything, just a token of appreciation.... but damn, no good deed goes un-punished. It cost me 16 bucks to ship to Toronto, which is just an hour away from where I live [tracking]. I shipped to him in BC which is across the continent, I'm pretty sure it was around 25 bucks or more and this is the email I get back:

Hello,

The giant rip on the side of the case is not mentioned in your ad, with only one picture showing the edge of the rip but not the full extent. Please explain, thank you. The second item you sent me I did not purchase, and have reported to eBay you sent me unsolicited items outside of my order that I did not purchase, and pushed the cost of shipping to be higher. I await your answer before further action, thank you.

I said I was pretty disgusted with his response but that I would refund the money for the purchase if he/she shipped it back. I'll post the follow up soon.

• Confused 4

Wow. Sorry to hear that buddy--I've had a few negative experiences with buyers on eBay as well. There never seems to be a middle-ground--it either goes amazingly smoothly or it quickly devolves into a dumpster fire.

Nevertheless, I cannot believe someone would report you for sending them extra stuff for free...

Hope it works out!

How much worse was the rip than you mentioned?    You said you didn't notice, he said it was "giant".

I would think the fact that you mentioned the tear, made it clear it wasn't mint condition and priced it accordingly should be enough to cover you if he takes action through eBay.   Unless the tear really is big

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

Why would someone be upset over a free game?? :(
What a world. 
A seller once sent me a free softcore adult dvd when i bought a music cd
We need more sellers like this.

Well if I'm understanding the OPs post. It seems the buyer was upset about the free game because the buyer is assuming the shipping cost so much due to the inclusion of the free game and isn't aware that the cost would have been the same with the included game or not. But the buyer is assuming that the OP added the free game so they could charge more for shipping to the buyer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well if I'm understanding the OPs post. It seems the buyer was upset about the free game because the buyer is assuming the shipping cost so much due to the inclusion of the free game and isn't aware that the cost would have been the same with the included game or not. But the buyer is assuming that the OP added the free game so they could charge more for shipping to the buyer.

Yeah but it's easy enough to prove that isn't the case.

• Like 1

It was never my intent to mislead this guy, if he wanted pristeen he should've ordered a repro. I mean for a CIB in perfect condition, 30+ years ago, I think you're looking for quite a bit more.  These are games that I've had since I was a kid. If he pulls something where he tries to keep the game, he's not going to like what happens next. I have his name and full address and I have no problems making a special trip out there to discuss it with him. This person even left a number for paypal. I called it but it goes to an answering machine. 

Can you link the auction? My opinion may vary greatly depending on the listing. I will say that I don't think it's fair to tell someone that they would have had to pay more if they wanted pristeen. I base my purchases on a combination of the condition and the price. Often I'll pass on something that is not in the condition I prefer even if the price is good.

• Like 2

Well I certainly wish he had refused it. I didn't say that to him at all nor did I think anything about it until I received this email. I don't mind refunding the money he paid but the fact of the matter here is that I sent him an extra game CIB and he thought I was trying to drill him for shipping. I hope he went back to the post office and found out exactly how much return shipping costs. I had alot of offers for that game. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Phantasy-Star-ORIGINAL-Sega-Master-System-In-Box-No-Manual-/293753360255?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cvga said:

I will say that I don't think it's fair to tell someone that they would have had to pay more if they wanted pristeen.

What do you mean?   "New in box" and "Mint Condition" nearly always fetches more money than something even with slight flaws.

Edited by zzip

36 minutes ago, zzip said:

What do you mean?   "New in box" and "Mint Condition" nearly always fetches more money than something even with slight flaws.

Of course, I simply mean that if I'm led to believe something is mint I wouldn't expect the seller to come back later and say "you would have had to pay more for mint". I'm not saying that's the case in this situation. He didn't say it was mint.

God, the GALL with some people! Definitely nice of you to include a free game and I agree with some prior comments that the buyer must have thought you added to the shipping costs due to the extra game, but I'm guessing that's not the case at all, so I'd recommend you set him straight on that that the extra game did not add to shipping costs at all. 

Some advice that I'll offer: I almost always make my listings with free shipping. That way, no one can ever balk at shipping costs, and I typically don't lose any money because I just raise the price of the item accordingly. Plus buyers loveeee seeing free shipping and eBay then gives the "Fast and Free" label with the green font and everything. Also, I agree that your picture shows the rip on the spine of the case BUT if it were me, I would have included reference to it in the listing. For example, something along the lines of "Please see pictures for exact condition of all items. Note that there is a rip on the spine of the case towards the bottom, as indicated in the first picture."

Just my two cents. You definitely didn't do anything wrong, but at the same time, over-communicating on listing descriptions is never going to hurt you.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

God, the GALL with some people! Definitely nice of you to include a free game and I agree with some prior comments that the buyer must have thought you added to the shipping costs due to the extra game, but I'm guessing that's not the case at all, so I'd recommend you set him straight on that that the extra game did not add to shipping costs at all. 

Some advice that I'll offer: I almost always make my listings with free shipping. That way, no one can ever balk at shipping costs, and I typically don't lose any money because I just raise the price of the item accordingly. Plus buyers loveeee seeing free shipping and eBay then gives the "Fast and Free" label with the green font and everything. Also, I agree that your picture shows the rip on the spine of the case BUT if it were me, I would have included reference to it in the listing. For example, something along the lines of "Please see pictures for exact condition of all items. Note that there is a rip on the spine of the case towards the bottom, as indicated in the first picture."

Just my two cents. You definitely didn't do anything wrong, but at the same time, over-communicating on listing descriptions is never going to hurt you.

Shipping has a way of costing more than I expect,  I always seem to lose money if I try to eat the shipping costs.  And if I price an item for worst-case shipping, it isn't fair to people don't live on the International Space Station :) 

What I do is buyer pays based on their zip code.  I make a couple of different options available, so the buyer can choose if they want it fast or want it cheap.

But I agree free shipping is best for buyers,  maybe someday I'll get that down to a science.

• Like 2

Give him a refund, send him a shipping label, get your items back, replace the case, relist it on eBay, make sure the torn sleeve is clearly shown and described.  There's no helping some people, immediately with the threats instead of trying to work something out amicably.  Also, the buyer from bidding on your items in the future.

..Al

• Like 6