IGNORED

Buyer upset I sent him an EXTRA GAME

CaptainCanadian

On 10/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, CaptainCanadian said:

I under-priced it a bit but I didn't really think it was that big of a deal, just some regular wear, that said, he won't respond to any messages.... but I will for sure take a 360 degree image for next time. I can see how if you are a collector or what have you, that might be an issue.

I had another buyer recently ask me to ship via letter mail without tracking. I said no, to which he responded by firing off some low ball offers. I declined them and didn't really think about it again. Then he just put the minimum bid on the item and won [which is listed 20 bucks less than the average for that item]. Then started complaining afterwards that I should ship it to him without tracking and that my 'relationship' with the postal worker could have got me a better deal... lol I don't know what it is with people on there.  

"Item was broken or no longer for sale"

On 10/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, CaptainCanadian said:

I under-priced it a bit but I didn't really think it was that big of a deal, just some regular wear, that said, he won't respond to any messages.... but I will for sure take a 360 degree image for next time. I can see how if you are a collector or what have you, that might be an issue.

I had another buyer recently ask me to ship via letter mail without tracking. I said no, to which he responded by firing off some low ball offers. I declined them and didn't really think about it again. Then he just put the minimum bid on the item and won [which is listed 20 bucks less than the average for that item]. Then started complaining afterwards that I should ship it to him without tracking and that my 'relationship' with the postal worker could have got me a better deal... lol I don't know what it is with people on there.  

Well that's your problem right there.  You didn't think it was a big deal.  I'm not a nitpicky collector, haven't been in over a decade by any means, but I do have minimum standards.  If I had missed that rip and being honest here, if your price was so good I'd be quick to click buy it now, I would have, 100% sure of that if I were on my iphone vs my computer due to the smaller viewing space.  I would have been pissed if that came that way and it clearly wasn't the post office that caused it.  That's not regular wear, that's something that got jammed hard along some sharp edge that utterly shanked the side right away from it causing that cut and scrunch.

It's good you wont let that slide next time, it'll save you because if someone tries it again you'll have clear image/description to fight it with at least.  People will say you can't fight, it's crap, it's not easy, but you can and I do and win when people rarely try it on me.

As far as that other guy goes, I'd report it with a call in and see if you can cancel it because it looks like a setup.  If they say you can't, at least they'll note your worries in case it turns up bad.

• Thanks 1

I'm not too worried. I'd be happy if he returned it, I'd pay shipping and everything. The game is nearly 40 years old, it's been through a house fire and moved 2 countries in that time, I think its in pretty acceptable condition. However, if the buyer doesn't like it, he's free to return it, I just need a confirmation from him that he understands that if I send him money, he sends me back a parcel. He hasn't sent back any messages and its been a few weeks. 

If eBay sides with him after all this time, I know where he lives. It would be in his best interest to do the right thing here. This might be a long thread. :)

Edited by CaptainCanadian

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If I had missed that rip and being honest here, if your price was so good I'd be quick to click buy it now, I would have, 100% sure of that if I were on my iphone vs my computer due to the smaller viewing space.  I would have been pissed if that came that way and it clearly wasn't the post office that caused it.  That's not regular wear, that's something that got jammed hard along some sharp edge that utterly shanked the side right away from it causing that cut and scrunch.

But if you are a buyer who cares that much about the condition of the item,  shouldn't you be looking at large versions of the images before purchase to see if there are flaws?   It's easier than dealing with the hassle afterwards. 

• Like 1

Not necessarily.  If something is a solid deal, perhaps even by appearances accidentally marked low, you hit fast because some actual flipper or collector nails it.  ebay doesn't lock down stuff while you're trying to buy it unless you have that 'commit to pay' choice that's an option.  I'm just saying I could see someone who just wants a decent looking complete copy of a game to overlook something on the image like that as it's not obviously pointed out or described at all.

4 hours ago, zzip said:

But if you are a buyer who cares that much about the condition of the item,  shouldn't you be looking at large versions of the images before purchase to see if there are flaws?   It's easier than dealing with the hassle afterwards. 

There was no way possible to see the extent of the damage from the pictures used and that would be giving a free pass to the lack of written disclosure to the damage.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

There was no way possible to see the extent of the damage from the pictures used and that would be giving a free pass to the lack of written disclosure to the damage.

But condition was listed as "good" not "mint".   "Good" allows for there to be cracks in the case per eBay's description.

Caveat Emptor applies,  if you really care about the condition of what you are buying, examine the pictures available,  ask the sell questions, ask to see photos of parts you can't see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zzip said:

But condition was listed as "good" not "mint".   "Good" allows for there to be cracks in the case per eBay's description.

Caveat Emptor applies,  if you really care about the condition of what you are buying, examine the pictures available,  ask the sell questions, ask to see photos of parts you can't see.

If a rare item has a low price you can't really wait and ask for more pics, will be sold by the time the seller responds

Not really I've picked off for some years now a lot of bonehead BIN prices as they went live.  A few years back nailed down a complete copy of Lufia 2 complete for the price of a loose cart.  I didn't even think, I just clicked, then checked the images after I paid because waiting any longer would have been a loss.  It's that when you see it, strike moment, and there's no time for nitpicking and pissing around with the zoom feature on a picture/phone or worse playing a game of twenty questions with the seller and waiting around.  When you see a $50 item up for $30-40, you buy it after a very fast cursory look at the image just to make sure it lines up with the title of the auction.  You can request to cancel or refund right after if you smell bs.  Worst that happens, the seller gets pissed off, mails it, then you send it back at their expense and then block you from buying again.  It's the sellers fault for not making it clear about any issues.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

A low price on a rare item should be a warning sign in itself

Untrue, there are bargains to be had for all sorts of reasons from seller lack of understanding what they have exactly to just wanting it to sell quickly etc. NOW sure that is in the minority of items but it still does and can happen. OF COURSE if one sees a rare yet incredibly low priced item from a seller who was very new OR with a lot of negative feedback well, sure best to avoid but low priced on a rare item in and of itself is not necessarily an indication of anything, we see people all the time who won rare low priced items all the time, which many times I am very jealous of ?.............................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzip said:

Sure, but the idea that a buyer has to seek out information to find out if the seller is being less than honest with the product listing is just ridiculous. You can't sell items under false pretense, even in ignorance, and not expect the deserved blowback. Clearly, I would never buy anything from you if that is what you consider fair play. As I said before, this ended up being a double whammy. The seller did not do their job selling it and then the buyer also turned out to be a wild one.  Would I be pissed and want my money back if I bought that game going on the picture and info the seller provided from that listing as being accurate to it's condition? I sure would have.  Does it really suck when you get a buyer that is only out to try and scam some free shit? Without a doubt.

I've had problems like this before, but never this kind of value. The magical missing pokemon cards told me everything I need to know about always using tracking and using at least two paragraphs for descriptions. I sometimes like to add in a bit of humour just for fun. 

State flaws in description, make sure it's clearly seen in pictures (clicking original sale link I noticed there's no side on image). 

I don't think this happened this time, but sometimes increasing weight if not paid for appropriately increases cost to buyer because they often have to pay the excess with a handling fee. 

Having said that, I would have totally bought it if it was UK. It was a good price for one in that kind of condition. 

Edited by Mikebloke

13 hours ago, Shawn said:

Clearly, I would never buy anything from you if that is what you consider fair play.

I list any flaws as I understand them.   However I've been on the other side of this where an antiques dealer was complaining because I didn't mention something I didn't even know were flaws, and acted like I was trying to rip her off.  (I'm not a dealer, just a regular person selling old stuff).   If she had contacted me asking for more info/pictures before bidding, she could have avoided the sale and we would have both been happier in the end.

It's important to know what you are buying.

Here is there response after telling me that "they have my back".

So not only does he get free stuff, he gets because of a small rip. I had sent EBAY weeks of contacts saying that I was waiting for him to acknowledge the return. Why does he get to keep it at my expense? Buyer is not going to like what happens next.

phantasystar.jpg

• Sad 4

28 minutes ago, CaptainCanadian said:

Here is there response after telling me that "they have my back".

So not only does he get free stuff, he gets because of a small rip. I had sent EBAY weeks of contacts saying that I was waiting for him to acknowledge the return. Why does he get to keep it at my expense? Buyer is not going to like what happens next.

phantasystar.jpg

Keep fighting ebay on it before you go with a baseball bat at to buyers House, have you rung ebay up in the past or just emailed? I find ringing up is a lot more effective when trying to sort issues out. 

Does Canadian consumer laws cover anything with this? I think in UK this would now be regarded as theft by the buyer if they receive a full refund without giving back the goods.

Edited by Mikebloke

Well not only did I get a refund on my eBay fees but the security team SAID they would look into it but since eBay and it's appeal team is based in 'ASIA', they are using Asian law to determine what happens. This is from a contact I had just now with the team. Here's the latest, however they said they'll be looking into it further. I have a feeling they might this time.

phantjpegp copy.jpg

What she just wrote is a lie and obviously none of the chat transcripts that they said are on my file have been reviewed. I spoke with ebay staffers previously and told them I could not print a shipping label (their system's problem), they acknowledged and agreed. So TOGETHER on a chat we came up with a solution where I would send Direwuulf the return funds and he would send back the item. We agreed that he would need to confirm this in an email. I sent him a message, nothing came back.

They are in the wrong with this judgement. I have said just now that I am ready to go to the news media and the police with the transcripts. They said they'll look into it further. This kind of behavior calls into question any further judgements made on behalf of eBay. It seems they are NOT reviewing cases, information or evidence and are just making snap judgements. I believe this is something the media, the police and consumer right's groups might like to know about, not to mention all eBay sellers.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, CaptainCanadian said:

So are they saying that they gave my money away to the buyer without reviewing the agreement but that I am free to seek out the item on my own?

I'm contacting the papers and any TV networks that will listen if this is the case.

Wow. This is crazy. There is no reality where you should get ripped off like that. I'm so sorry to hear you are being dicked around like that. I really hope you get your money or your game back. This is system is broken.

• Like 1

I have the buyer's info so as we are dealing with criminals skirting the system:

News Media / 4 Chan / Police / Personal visit

Which is best for this case? Opinions?

I am so pissed I might just devote my life to coding a rival eBay site and Paypal that protects the seller.  

• Like 1

Given that he didn't wisely block him from buying off his account.

4chan would be a potential disaster for ebay given their behavior.  I'd deal with the local police to where the buyer lives, your version being canada, of the FBI too, and if possible find a way where you can put their asses on tv  not just with the national/local media but also TV based small claims court like the US has.  In the US for civil matters you can go after a person or business for up to $5000USD.  Given the paperwork, correspondence, and the rest, there's no conceivable way if you have similar laws that ebay (and or the buyer) could worm out of returning the item as it was shipped or the money.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, CaptainCanadian said:

News Media / 4 Chan / Police / Personal visit

Which is best for this case? Opinions?

News media: probably for eBay, as its policies are not as friendly as its likes to portray, and this bit about "using Asian law."  You might get one of those "Guy On Your Side" types to help out.  Maybe.  Have all of your documentation ready, including all communications from eBay.  In particular, if you can show they never asked you to provide return shipping.

4chan: NYPA

Police: Might be worth a shot, but you need something substantial for them to act on.  Likely, they will tell you this is a civil matter (which it primarily is.)

Personal visit: and do what, exactly?  If he's adept at getting free stuff by flouting eBay's policies, he is likely ready to flout the law and get a restraining order against you, or file harassment charges.  Maybe calling and talking to him might be the best way, but be prepared to back off and take it to the next stage...

...which is: go talk to an attorney.  Find out exactly what the eBay policies mean to you and the buyer, and what just happened means to you and the buyer legally.  That eBay made a policy decision against you may or may not be a matter of law (a legal decision.)  The guy ostensibly possesses something illegitimately outside of the eBay shenanigans.