IGNORED

SIDE2 Troubles

moonlight_mile

32 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

Which would be the best to get for use with the side2 an 800xl or 130xe?

Revised answer: 130XE, since using SIDE2's SDX with 64K is a miserable experience. If you go for an 800XL, get one with a RAM upgrade.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

What is wrong with your current Atari? and which flavour is it? a syscheck from tf_hh might help with your ram issues, it can be used as an OS/RAM upgrade as well as a syscheck

There is definitely something wrong in the ram department. It didn’t show its face until I started working with the side2 cart. I may eventually work on it but I think it is probably a better idea to get another Atari just so I have a backup. Hell, I only paid around $50 for the xe a few years ago.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

That is the setup I have... What am I missing out on?

You have what? A 130XE or an 800XL? If the latter, you're missing out on extended RAM into which SDX will load most of its drivers. Without said RAM, and owing to the considerable size of the SIDE.SYS driver (which will also install most of itself in extended RAM where available), you commonly end up with a toweringly high MEMLO which make running all but a handful of applications completely impossible. Even FDISK (the APT partition editor) will not run on such a setup.

Just now, flashjazzcat said:

You have what? A 130XE or an 800XL? If the latter, you're missing out on extended RAM into which SDX will load most of its drivers. Without said RAM, and owing to the considerable size of the SIDE.SYS driver (which will also install most of itself in extended RAM where available), you commonly end up with a toweringly high MEMLO which make running all but a handful of applications completely impossible. Even FDISK (the APT partition editor) will not run on such a setup.

I have an 800XL and a 65XE out at the moment, with the SIDE2 in the 800XL. I must say I've only done light usage of SDX on the 800XL, so perhaps had not run into the crazy high memlo issue. I was just about to start trying some of my own homebrews on that device, and I have them set to compile at 0x3000, which I had thought would be pretty generous.

I have not been able to get the CF card working yet, but I figured I just needed to invest the time to read the instructions ;-)

So I have been using it as a clock/SpartaDOS cart, along with an SDRIVE MAX and a Lotharek SD adaptor (have used the Lotharek more) for loading stuff from SD in the meantime.

Have a FujiNet on order, and am really looking forward to that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

moonlight_mile, I also use the SIDE2 on a 64K 800XL. 

When using FDISK, i made several partitions but started naming them D3:,D4:,etc.

I didnt make D1: and D2: partitions, because i wanted to keep using my 1050 drive as D1: using a Spartados formated floppy containing the startup CONFIG.SYS (for my 64K 800XL)

D2: can be used for other SIO addonns like Sio2SD.

There might be better solutions for a 64K SIDE2 setup, but I am not an expert in Spartados X....

7 minutes ago, Stormtrooper of Death said:

When using FDISK, i made several partitions but started naming them D3:,D4:,etc.

This is good practice, IMO. It's also a good idea to do this on U1MB/SIDE systems, since mounted (PBI-hosted) ATRs can then boot from D1: without affecting HDD partitions and you have D2: for two-disk volumes or other SIO devices.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I typically have 8 APT partitions starting at D5:, on the off chance I get the urge to do something stupid like mount 3 or 4 ATRs in the Loader at the time, or move a bunch of random stuff off ATRs via RespeQt, FujiNet or my SDrive-MAX to my APT partition(s). 

• 2 months later...

I hate to reincarnate a dead thread but, I got a desoldering station for Xmas and was thinking about installing an ultimate 1 Meg.

Now, I know there are issues with my extended ram on my 130xe but if I installed the u1m in the 130 would it solve the issues I had with my side2 cart? While I am at it I might install sockets for the original ram chips but if I can get around my extended ram issue with the u1m that would be great.

Thanks for any info.

8 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

Now, I know there are issues with my extended ram on my 130xe but if I installed the u1m in the 130 would it solve the issues I had with my side2 cart? While I am at it I might install sockets for the original ram chips but if I can get around my extended ram issue with the u1m that would be great.

When you install the U1MB, then just remove the flaky extended ram. U1MB only needs the base 64k.

• Like 1

@moonlight_mile There are two resistors you can swap to swap the extended 64KB with the base 64KB - then you can run RAM testers like Sys-check or shoestrings checker to identify the specific chips that are bad.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/251315-sys-check-v22-ready-to-use-batch-available/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-4374699

• Like 1