IGNORED

Noob Question

ErkTheJerk

30 minutes ago, ErkTheJerk said:

Does the Atari 5200 2 controller port need a switch box? Can you plug it to your TV using a RF adaptor?

No, and yes. :) Just get an RCA-to-F type coax adapter and screw it into the RF tuner input on your TV. Of course, modern TVs have mostly done away with that, but if you play on CRTs like many of it, that’s not an issue. 

10 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

No, and yes. :) Just get an RCA-to-F type coax adapter and screw it into the RF tuner input on your TV. Of course, modern TVs have mostly done away with that, but if you play on CRTs like many of it, that’s not an issue. 

I’m using the adapter but the picture and sound is static. Could it be something wrong with my console? Or does it just need a switch box?

3 minutes ago, ErkTheJerk said:

I’m using the adapter but the picture and sound is static. Could it be something wrong with my console? Or does it just need a switch box?

If anything, an old switchbox will usually have a worse picture than a direct coax connector to the tuner. Your console’s RF modulator could be out of alignment, your RF cable could have a cut or nick in it which can cause static, or possibly your power supply might be creating electronic noise that’s showing as static. Are you using a vintage Atari 5200 PSU or a modern switching supply?

15 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

If anything, an old switchbox will usually have a worse picture than a direct coax connector to the tuner. Your console’s RF modulator could be out of alignment, your RF cable could have a cut or nick in it which can cause static, or possibly your power supply might be creating electronic noise that’s showing as static. Are you using a vintage Atari 5200 PSU or a modern switching supply?

I’m not sure what you mean. Really a noob here sorry. Well I turned it on again and the picture is ok but there is a really loud buzzing sound. 

26 minutes ago, DamonicFury said:

Is this a newer TV?   If so, you might want to try having it do an analog channel search while the 5200 is plugged in and turned on. 

Yes it’s a newer TV. There’s a picture it’s just a loud buzzing sound. But once in awhile it gets staticky. 

12 minutes ago, ErkTheJerk said:

Yes it’s a newer TV. There’s a picture it’s just a loud buzzing sound. But once in awhile it gets staticky. 

Just sounds like the channel isn’t quite tuned correctly.  Try doing the channel search, if that doesn’t help, perhaps try a different tv.  

5 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

Just sounds like the channel isn’t quite tuned correctly.  Try doing the channel search, if that doesn’t help, perhaps try a different tv.  

NA I don’t think it’s that. The channel is found. I tried using the channel changer to channel 2 it’s still the same. Here’s a video of it. I was just wondering if it just needed a switch box cuz it didn’t come with one.

The VCR acts as a (sort-of) RF demodulator as it takes the analog antenna (provided you set the VCR's built-in tuner up front to channel either 2 or 3 pending on the console's settings) and outputs it from the composite output of the VCR to your TV/monitor/home theater receiver's composite input jacks

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1