IGNORED

Anyone have rotary encoder recommendations?

chicgamer

I added a rotary encoder to one of my Jaguar controllers a couple of years ago for Tempest 2000 and Rebooteroids, and I haven't really been pleased with the results. I would like to replace the rotary encoder I used with a different one. Does anyone have recommendations for a rotary encoder that is known to work really well for this purpose?

Edited by chicgamer
fixed typo

How about good knobs compatible with this.  Would this be about right?

Knurled, Diamond Knob 0.236" (6.00mm) Shaft with - Metal Black Gloss

I've no idea what diameter/height I should be looking for, nor whether metal or plastic is better.  I think I remember reading one material or the other could build up static and zap your Jag in some post, but I haven't been able to find it again.

20 hours ago, chicgamer said:

I just measured, and the shaft diameter is 5 mm

Interesting.  DigiKey claims it is 6mm I believe.  What I was wondering was what a good knob outer diameter is though, as well as height, material, texture, etc.  If you have some pics of the assembled controller, that'd be cool to see as well.

Edited by cubanismo
Fixed diameter. DigiKey claims 6mm, not 6.5mm

I went and purchased one from @Machine when he was making them a couple years ago. I looked at his design and read his write-up and decided it was better then what I could do myself, so I shelled out.

I don't know if he has any left or if he'd make one more... but I LOVE this thing!

• Thanks 1

For the knob, we fit them on the back of the controller (switch on the top to switch it out), and use these: https://cpc.farnell.com/cliff-electronic-components/fc7234/knob-kmr35-blk-md-6mm-spl-18t/dp/SW05314 The Bournes rotary encoder has a 6mm knurled shaft so that will just push on.

Edited by juansolo
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grips03 said:

Wired and where its mounted.  I've wanted to mod a controller for Rebooteroids to see if I can get higher score.  Does controller retain d-pad?

Mine does, though you can replace the d-pad with the encoder if you want. I mounted mine on the lower left.

I'll take some pics this weekend.

By the way, sorry if I was off about the shaft diameter. I used my calipers, but I must have misread the diameter.

EDIT:

In case you don't want to wait for me to get pics of my controller, I learned how to wire my rotary from Zerosquare's Jagware site:

https://www.jagware.org/index.php?/topic/930-how-to-add-a-rotary-knob-to-your-jaguar-controller/&tab=comments#comment-14027

• Like 2

I noticed some use plastic knob and some others use metal.  Which works best?

Also some are smooth and some have diamond texture.  Which works best?

Right now I'm thinking of using: ‎OEJNI-90-2-7‎ (Digikey or Arrow).

Diameter = 23.5mm

Height = 15.88mm

Metal / Diamond texture

or

OEJNI-90-4-7 <--same as above but matte black

4 hours ago, grips03 said:

I noticed some use plastic knob and some others use metal.  Which works best?

Also some are smooth and some have diamond texture.  Which works best?

Right now I'm thinking of using: ‎OEJNI-90-2-7‎ (Digikey or Arrow).

Diameter = 23.5mm

Height = 15.88mm

Metal / Diamond texture

or

OEJNI-90-4-7 <--same as above but matte black

It is all preference. I like the bigger and heavier ones. I live in a very dry area and found the all metal knobs can carry static to the controller board and fry chips(has happened to me a few times). I switched to a plastic knob and have not had a problem since.

Send me a PM @grips03 , I may have one left if you want it.

• Like 2

I built a rotary controller tonight using PEC11R-4015F-S0024 encoder (24 PPR). 

However rotation is too slow in Rebooteroids game.  I made Rebooteroids rotate rate the highest it could be and its still too slow. 

I did not adjust rotary trim setting in Rebooteroids as I'm not sure what it does. 

Would 32 or 36 PPR help to speed up rotation?

I seem to remember having to do some dialing in on Rebooteroids, and I think I adjusted the sensitivity on Impulse X. Tempest is nailed on however. This is how I implemented mine. Switch on the front connects/disconnects the ground line on the encoder to switch it out IIRC (I made these a long time ago). The controller is surprisingly comfortable used upside down. The three fire buttons fall nice to the fingers of your left hand. Also the spinner is completely out of the way when you use them as regular controllers.

Jagrotaries.thumb.jpg.0e7fa44044f9cd46a4e7c5e4abd72d6f.jpg

Worth mentioning that the bonus stage on T2K is awkward with a rotary, but if you have a 2nd non-rotary controller plugged into port 2, you can use that to do those stages. Impulse X is odd in that you have to plug the rotary controller into port 2 and a regular into port 1. Rebooteroids mostly behaves with a bit of tweaking, though the bonus stage in that can be a little low geared on the rotary. In all three cases I couldn't go back to a non-rotary way of playing those games, it adds so much.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 2

The rotary controller and the games made for it are a big reason why I love the Jaguar. Like juansolo said, I could never go back to a standard controller.

I actually was able to beat Impulse X with a rotary controller. Something that would be extremely difficult with a standard controller. 

The rotary gives you such a unique experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grips03 said:

Rebooteroids bonus stage certain is very slow with rotary.  Does the game support switching between standard d-pad and rotary to overcome this?  Otherwise how are people playing the bonus stage with rotary controller?

I dont have any problems with moving in the bonus stages.  Weird.

I use the settings below:

Rotary Rate:

---x------

Rotary Trim:

-------x---

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grips03 said:

I'm going to try that

I should have sent you one of the encoders I used for the run of controllers I made.....I can always drop you another package if you want to switch out encoders.

Let me know if you want to give it a try....I think I have some left....