IGNORED

Bug Hunt

marss

Looking forward to this on the Lynx, it's a fun game, I've played it quite a bit on the c64. Actually I've been thinking about making a clone for the Lynx myself a couple of times.

@marss It looks really nice! What is the inspiration for the graphic style / palette? Is it a specific old computer or console? I can't pinpoint it for sure, but I'm guessing NES with the black outlines, although there's a bit more colors per 16x16 char than it could draw irl.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's a project of mine.

It's great to team with @marss, and he doesn't complain if I kill some colors from the palette to simplify the coding. ?

On the other side I don't complain when he asks me to make a lynx game with 24x24 px sprites ?

With SV moved to June, this could be a possible entry.

• Like 2

This game, and some others, are in development (some for lynx, some for Jaguar), others are waiting a developer. There are 30 channels dedicated to specific titles on OCEO slack, including that of already released games. We could publish screenshots or demo videos of the games in develpement, but since we want to release them at coding competitons or demoparties, we will not do it since we kow it's allowed by the specific event rules.

That Bug Hunt image in the OP was a mockup at 320x240. Marss dislikes downsizing the gfx, so use to redo the gfx at original size and let the developer find a way to use them.

Usually scrolling is the solution, but this time I decided to reduce the game area leaving the sprites as they are: it's a challenge to maintain playability, but for the moment it seems to work. The problem could be to have a steady increase of difficulty. 

Edited by Nop90

That is what I don't understand :

There are games in development under the readar and I understand why.

But what is announced (and many were in the past weeks) as work in progress are not really currently in dev games, but only future projects in my understanding.

So, this is not work in progress, but a call for developpers, right ?

This is really a fuzzy communication in my opinion.

But of course, as everyone, I can't wait to see what will come from this, just not expecting something specific as I cannot see what is real and what is hypothetical.

Edited by Fadest

30 minutes ago, Fadest said:

That is what I don't understand :

There are games in development under the readar and I understand why.

But what is announced (and many were in the past weeks) as work in progress are not really currently in dev games, but only future projects in my understanding.

So, this is not work in progress, but a call for developpers, right ?

This is really a fuzzy communication in my opinion.

But of course, as everyone, I can't wait to see what will come from this, just not expecting something specific as I cannot see what is real and what is hypothetical.

Well, working on the gfx is already a work and the gfx has been redone to be usable with lynx color limitations.

And it wasn't exactly a call for developers, there are already many developers in the team, most of them working on something, but we are all busy, so not all the codings can start at the same time.

As I wrote in the BombJack post, it was the project I decided to start when marss anounced the title, then I decided to give priority to Bug Hunt, so for the moment BJ is halted (miker did some tunes for it BTW). If someone wants to join the team and do it, it's welcome, otherwise it will be resumed in the future.

There are nice projects on this forum that are in developement since many years: OCEO projects don' t have an ETA, but there is always activity ongoing, can't see anything wrong in this.

PS: @LordKraken and @Bob_63, you have access to the Bug Hunt repository on Slack, if you have time please test the demo build and give me your feedbacks from a dev point of view (on Slack or PM please, since the work is confidential for the moment).

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 8:16 PM, LordKraken said:

Ah looks nice, glad to see you switched to a much slower tongue, that will make the game much more enjoyable :)

Now I still think the UI should be moved where there is no action, a.k.a the bottom of the screen ;) 

I made no changes to the tounge controls: pressing A the tongue fastly reaches the pointer, than you can move it with the direction pad.

I don't like the panels on the bottom, the screem looks weird with both options of leaving the panels in front of the frog and after the frog. The flyes over the panels seems the better option.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, agradeneu said:

Playfield looks a little too cramped though, for a single screen game.

I can't enlarge the screen and the gfx artist doesn't want to change the sprites size, soo this is the best I can do. But the game remains playable. In training mode it's possible to change the level with OPT1 (it's a really good feature for tuning the game elements) and at the highest level it's a crazy challenge to catch a single fly, but it's possible.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Fab little game, I love it! ??? As said earlier great visuals, music and fun gameplay. I like the big graphics. It kind of looks like it might not work with the small screen, but I felt the gameplay was working 100% nicely and had a lot of fun while playing it last night. I already got almost 40K points. @miker did you do the music? The in game music is so good! Is it sampled or chip music? I can't tell for sure, but it sounds a lot like POKEY (which I love).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

@miker did you do the music?

Yeah, everything except title one (it's covered from some Sega console).

The in game music is so good! Is it sampled or chip music? I can't tell for sure, but it sounds a lot like POKEY (which I love).

Thanks!

Good catch. It even originates from there but on Lynx' Chipper it sounds even better. :)

Edited by miker
quotes...
  • Like 2