IGNORED

Bomb Jack

marss

Ah, this is a game that would be so much fun on the Lynx! Your mockups look exaclty like the arcade.

Are you guys going to have the screen scroll? I guess that would be the tradeoff on the Lynx that you'd need to do to have the nice graphics. I love classic arcade games with static screen myself but also big graphics, that's an area where the Lynx really suffers a bit from the low screen resolution. I remember some mock ups of Donkey Kong on this forum, and it's either tiny graphics or vertical screen for static screen, or scrolling obviously.

As a guy who thinks graphics and music are equally important as gameplay, I say go with the nicest graphics! :D

Let me think. :)

I'm still engaged in some to-be-finished projects (including Mortal Kombat for Lynx, Flimbo's Quest for 8-bit Atari and some surprise production by Retroguru) but as I have more than complete Bomb Jack soundtrack in RMT, I may try to convert a bit more, according to Chipper limitations.

But I don't say no. :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Are you guys going to have the screen scroll? I guess that would be the tradeoff on the Lynx that you'd need to do to have the nice graphics.

Scolling the screen was my idea, but it's not easy to maintain the game close to the original without an outlook of the screen. I didn't like the sketch of the game I did, so decided to not go with this and started working on Bug Hunt, and I'm really happy of my choice.

Maybe someone else can handle this challenge better. The title is still waiting a dev.

I think that scrolling is generally preferable than cropped graphics but in this case it seems essential to see everything at once.

@marss would you consider adjusting the art to the lynx resolution, and also reskin the sprites so that the game does not look quite like the real bombjack? I know this sounds odd from the guy doing a very obvious clone of bomberman but this is actually why I think we should try to avoid straight ports that bring a whole lot of issues once the game is finished.

Edited by LordKraken

This is a mockup (made resizing a screenshot of the coin-op game) of how the game could look on the Lynx.

581392977_BombJack.png.365a97413985faa2d9ab3373fbf4c65f.png

Maintaining the same sprites dimension (8x8) and using the vertical orientation, the screen can be designed wider, but with less height where to fly I don't know how the game experience will be, so vertical orientation seems the best option.

A close view of the sprites will reveal how ugly they are. With some dedication it's possible to make them a little better, but will never reach the quality of a commercial product IMHO.

3 hours ago, Nop90 said:

This is a mockup (made resizing a screenshot of the coin-op game) of how the game could look on the Lynx.

Maintaining the same sprites dimension (8x8) and using the vertical orientation, the screen can be designed wider, but with less height where to fly I don't know how the game experience will be, so vertical orientation seems the best option.

A close view of the sprites will reveal how ugly they are. With some dedication it's possible to make them a little better, but will never reach the quality of a commercial product IMHO.

It's ugly because autopilot downscaling Pixelart will always mess up the pixels. 8x8 tiles can look good, if the artist places every pixel carefully and designs the graphics for the (lower) resolution. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Yep this damned screen resolution :D

I think the challenge is interesting though, with some adaptation it could be a relatively faithful port of the original game.

I never realized that this game was still so popular nowaday!?

8x8 tiles should not be a big issue for a capable artist, think Lemmings, the sprites are even smaller. Or Rampart, small sprites, still looking nice.

8 hours ago, Nop90 said:

Another option I think:

- 160x160 playfield, portrait mode, scroll only horizontally

- 12x12 pixel sprites

-12x12 are still looking nice, even if scaled from 16x16

- portrait mode would show 2/3 of the playfield, only 1/3 to scroll

Edited by agradeneu

Vertical orientation sounds like the best idea to preserve the flow of the game, but a not so great one in regard to the gameplay. I mean klax is ok because it's essentially just left right but an arcade game...

If I had a bit more time would love to try to tackle this challenge, but my intuition tells me I would go for 160x160 playfield, portrait mode and scroll only horizontally

• Like 1